Do you like the Arena Revamp?

It’s not terrible, but I wish it was slightly less random and pooled troops in some way to ensure you have three significantly different troops. Getting to choose from a set of three tower/boss killing troops is pretty annoying given there’s no chance of fighting a boss or tower.

2 Likes

The team I used (in the order I used them) was Frost Giant/Scale Guard/Ancient Golem/Xiong Mao. Ancient Golem one shot killed almost everything.

The first round which was a little slower, but not by much was centered around a similar single attack troop with meat shields.

In the end I think it’s a lot of rng, but the total amount of time to win an arena, even at the higher end of say 8-10 min isn’t too far off what arena speed was with 8 battles and a hero, just less consistent for the full win. I guess my overall point is I wouldn’t bother with arena no matter what, and even when you have to do it for campaign it’s not horrible. Arena sucked before, arena sucks now, no change.

But seriously people, PAUSE SPEED INCREASE!! That is a tangible gameplay adjustment that affects a majority of the battles I play. How is that not the biggest topic of discussion?

Mostly, I dislike the Arena. Rewards not worth it for effort + 1000 gold.

I do, however, appreciate that I will no longer be pitted against an opposing hero that uses a powerful weapon. For that reason alone, I won’t mind playing the arena for a campaign task.

New Arena is most certainly peculiar IMHO. It might use some improvement though. If I may suggest adding some buttons/features. For example, a button “Randomize team” might be handy. Pressing the button will give you a team of four random cards. There is no time to think in this fast-moving world after all.

Now, another button might be useful, which is “Randomize match result”. Pressing this button will save you time not only thinking about the cards but also about the moves. After all, what’s the point, it is all random. And indeed, there is no point. You can as well make random moves, it has no major impact whatsoever. Also, saves time, so you can play more matches.

And the final pinnacle will be adding the third useful button, “Randomize arena run”. Pressing this button will cost you certain number of gems depending on the result.

For example, paying 30 gems will produce a randomized Arena run with 50% chance getting 6-0 score, 20% chance of 6-1 score, 15% chance of 6-2 score, 10% chance of 5-3 score, etc. Paying 50 gems will increase the chance of getting 6-0 to 60% and the other chances will be adjusted correspondingly. You can pay 10 dollars of real world money to get 90% chance of winning 6-0. It is a huge time saver and provides nice income boost for the developers. And it is all random! And saves a lot of time thinking, making moves, and clicking through menus! A really welcome feature!

Because the developers and publishers of this game really know what players want and like! And during these difficult times, we should really worry about supporting our most loved game!

3 Likes

I watched really carefully, it seems flawed, since when did 8 attack do 6 damage? Where can we find the so called valour points. I am a paying player with VIP 15 and truthfully, I don’t think any of the recent changes have made it worthwhile spending anymore money. This was my entertainment, instead of going out for dinner or whatever, it justified my spending. But the enjoyment factor is failing miserably.

2 Likes

I didn’t like the Arena to begin with. But the revamp is a little better as its 2 less fights you have to suffer through. And while I miss having the hero, its probably better without it.

1 Like

I am taking a leap of faith and am going to guess most voters are people who barely touch the mode.
Salty said on stream, there are people who never liked the arena anyway, who will continue to dislike it whatever change is made to it. I broadly agree,
Maybe the poll needs to be qualified with, “did you like the Arena before the revamp” to be of any use.

Just leave the mode alone.
Except you cannot? Because you “must” get the 3 additional offers so that your writ/imperial-deed economy does not fall behind others? OK, your choice.
I see other newish players getting 5,000 trophies per week from grinding, getting more gold->LTs->resources and mythics. More souls, glory keys → further along the path to obtaining all mythics.
Some get far more vault keys (gems->translate to all sorts of things, gem keys etc) during Vault weekends.
I choose not to take these opportunities. Same as I can choose not to play in the Arena whether daily or during the events.

Play responsibly.

2 Likes

Ill be honest, like a lot of the people in here — I do NOT like the changes. Specifically because Arena I actually liked, I played it maybe an hour or so a day because I like grinding out souls (I have a brand new account on a different platform so souls are a hot commodity at the moment and this is the best way to get them currently without having Explore grinding teams).

Not only did the Soul rewards get nerfed pretty drastically, especially since there are no difficulties, it also takes much longer and since we can’t use a weapon — if you get a crap team (low damage output, support troops that don’t mesh/convert to gems that ANY troop on your team uses (even itself) I’ve had a few runs already where I would play the first game and just immediately know I need to reset because the team will be awful. At least having a weapon, gave you “a” chance. Now once you have a troop that’s not compatible, you’re down 3v4 (or worse) and it’s just not fun. I can still win just fine, it’s just a pain in the a**.

I’m not going down the “scumbag developer” route because obviously we all play a game we all enjoy from them. THIS change however is pretty awful I’m not gonna lie. There were so many different things that could’ve been updated that didn’t involve you arbitrarily increasing the amount of annoyance of a game mode that’s already pretty random to begin with.

Trophies, while a nice incentive, can be grinded relatively easily in PVP. I would MUCH prefer getting the souls in the capacity that I did.

8 Likes

All the feedback they always ignored plus any real amount of effort to turn it into a better version of itself. I did a brief sketch of an idea that could have worked here:

But I’m under no illusion that they will EVER make any significant change in that direction. Sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

I seem to be in the very small minority. I have played multiple arena runs and completed every one. There was one that was so slow i ended up quiting half way to get a new team, but i really do not mind it. Better rewards. But i do agree, after 5 years the could of came up with something a little more fun.

I have been hoping for a redo to pvp, but i am not sure it would go well now.

2 Likes

Only if you value trophies which nobody should because they’re worthless.

4 Likes

You lost 9 out of 10 runs? How? I’ve done probably 20 runs and have yet to lose any runs… Perhaps you’re trying to be too fancy with your drafts?

4 Likes

But the rewards are much less now, what do you mean? The lowered every reward by almost 50% except trophies which… Dont give you anything… Like at all. They’re good for the clan but the direct impact on you is pretty minimal. Souls, gold, and keys however are immediate impacts on you that are lowered.

Also, it’s not that these runs are more “difficult” they’re still easily beatable it’s just annoying when you get a trash draft and then you get — like you said yourself — Matches that are SOOOO slow or almost nothing that it’s not even worth continuing and may as well reset. I’ve done about 5 runs and I only lost one because of an absolutely dead team but had we had a weapon I could’ve possibly salvaged it with Runic Blade or something. I just had monsters that did little damage and converted gems to yellow — Yet nothing took yellow lol.

1 Like

I feel like the devs knew this Arena rework was absolute garbage… and that is why we got the new feature of battles not slowing down when you click on a troop. They were really hoping that would outweigh all the backlash from this Arena “upgrade”

3 Likes

Thing is: wasn’t the slowdown pc/mobile specific? Or was it on all platforms, and I just never noticed?

If it’s the former, then only a portion of the playerbase got the bug fix, whereas everyone got the “new” Arena…

1 Like

PS4 also slowed down.

After years of optimizing the system for the use of the hero in all teams (although there are no classes where the hero takes the position of all types of troops in the game), the Devs take a classic mini-event and PROHIBIT the use of the hero in same.
I just didn’t like it. I’ll never play Arena again in that game. For me, Gems of War without the hero on the team is not Gems of War.

1 Like

We can imagine so many ways to optimize the performance and fun of the Arena. And after more than 4 years of waiting for rework in this mini-event, we see an update that makes it much more tedious, poorly designed and tiring than before.

2 Likes

Yet another viable piece of content taken away from us. Arena was the reason you got Dawnbringer, it was the only real benefit for taking your hero beyond level 1500, now it’s gone.

If you really want everyone to quit the game that badly, charging 99 cents to collect your kingdom bonuses should do the trick.

2 Likes

@AMT
Poll is missing one option → it’s to early to answer “yes” or “no”,
As for me i’d say:
let’s see after 1st arena of valor.

What I like:

• extra shop offers triggered on first 5win/6win arena runs (got given 2 pet offers today)
  • more fun at trying to pick a decent team from the crap i’m given to choose from (i strongly prefer it this way, than what it was before → no matter what i pick, just use Runic Blade / if i get offered 3 yellow troops, go with DB instead)

What I dislike:

• rewards are even less than they were

currently at the state, where i run those 3 arena runs to get extra offers daily (but that’s the main motivation)

1 Like