Do you like the Arena Revamp?

Yeah, everything is normal then.

1 Like

ā€¦And I would simply say I wonā€™t play the arena but now theyā€™ve made an event out of it so now we have no choice. I just donā€™t get why we work so hard to get our levels up and traits unlocked so that in an already bad part of the game they take all that away. I understand they want it to be equal across the board. I guess I just donā€™t like it IDK

1 Like

Yes. Thanks to summons that are general. Baby Dragon to Elemaugrim. Kobra summoning Eurayli. Morterra summoning Death. There are plenty more, Iā€™m sure.

5 Likes

I am alright with some changes.

50 trophies for 5 battles is crazy good. Not measuring with time here.

3 possible daily deals/offers is good if not awesome. I could mythic a pet today.

Not having a hero is a different kinda fun. I DONā€™T REALLY HAVE TO WIN EVERY BATTLE IN GoW.

4 Likes

The Good:
50 trophies instead of 30
Additional daily deals for pets

The Bad:
Loss of the hero/weapons
Nerfed glory key rewards
Game mode takes longer to finish a complete run
Still not able to plan our selections as you can only see three troops at a time

I might still play this mode occasionally, but the nerfed rewards and the loss of weapons heavily outweigh the positives Iā€™m afraid so itā€™s another game mode im really not likely to engage with anymore and another step towards the exit for this game for me.

3 Likes

If thatā€™s what he was referring to, then his complaint doesnā€™t make sense, since both sides have the potential of summoning Mythics. Itā€™s down to RNG. This isnā€™t a case of the AI being able to do something players canā€™t.

I was asking for clarification because if what heā€™s claiming is true, then thereā€™s a fundamental imbalance that should be corrected, or a bug that needs to be fixed.

Iā€™m replying without voting:

I think the update improved arena, but that itā€™s still not fun; it barely changed. So while the revamp is an improvement, it means weā€™ll never see a meaningfully better arena system, and thatā€™s disappointing.

3 Likes

God this game is so boring nowā€¦thatā€™s how many updates now without any new content?

8 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to know what you people donā€™t like about gems of war if 5.2 Arena gets the :+1: from you.

5 Likes

between this and the lack of thought copy past new build-a-troop zuul 2.0, I have very little to keep me going other than my guild and guild warsā€¦ Iā€™m being wheeled off to the retirement guildā€¦ falling out of the daily habit is like waking up out of an addictionā€¦ and realizing the ones selling you the crack have never tried it themselves.

10 Likes

I like the 3 additional chances to buy Imperial Deeds and needed pets with gems. I also like the modeā€™s bare-bones mechanics, as Iā€™ve said before, but thatā€™s nothing new, so :man_shrugging:

I donā€™t like the teeny-tiny rewards per-unit-time. Same as before.

Iā€™m indifferent to the weapons being gone, though itā€™s definitely an additional negative that time spent here is time not spent toward leveling classes. So there need to be rewards to balance that ā€” more keys, or tokens, or something. Even a writ-per-run or something.

Remains to be seen whether I like the Valor event. Hope so ā€” entirely dependent upon the ease (or lack thereof) of cycling through laps.

3 Likes

I have tried at least 10 times and purple is been my highest card but since they are base cards only they are still shit thanks to the scumbag developers not allowing us to chose the cards we worked on getting maxed out

Thatā€™s how itā€™s designed. Both player and enemy teams are made up of 1 Common (White), 1 Rare (Green), 1 Ultra-Rare (Blue) and 1 Epic (Purple). Future arena events may give teams a pre-selected Legendary or Mythic but thatā€™s not happening now. So where are you seeing enemy starting with Mythic troops? If youā€™re not, I donā€™t see how itā€™s unfair.

As for your other complaint, I think itā€™s fair to not like this type of game mode but thereā€™s no reason to call them ā€œscumbag developersā€. This type of game mode is not unique to GoW and isnā€™t meant to invalidate your progress.

Something analogous would be Booster Drafts in Magic The Gathering. You donā€™t get to use any cards from your own collection, cards that you probably spent a ton of time/money to acquire. Instead, each person starts with a booster pack, picks a card, then passes the pack to the next person until all the cards are gone. Then you play against each other with a deck made of those cards. Similar concept, although different execution.

Or look at the video game Phantasy Star. It has a mode called ā€œChallenge Modeā€ where you play through a quest with all your gear and levels reset. Itā€™s meant to be a different type of challenge.

2 Likes

I used to play arena every day. Now I may never play it again unless forced. Iā€™ve tried the new arrangement. Out of ten runs, I won one. ONE. I was outclassed by the opponent team every time. You took a game mode I pretty much liked and turned it into a fetid pile of garbage. What, exactly, convinced you that this was a good idea?

16 Likes

I need a third option on the poll. I donā€™t like it, but I donā€™t dislike it either. I think it makes a game mode I never liked into a slightly different game mode I donā€™t like. And it really doesnā€™t feel like a ā€œrevampā€, itā€™s just a little tweak.

What I donā€™t like is that Iā€™ll now feel like I have to play it on arena weekends, but I donā€™t consider that part of the base arena changes.

1 Like

This is true. But as the game plays out, almost all of them rely on losing a troop to summon a new one. That means they are better for the AI than the player. Also, if you are summoning, you have to be lucky six times. The AI only needs to be lucky twice.

1 Like

By far the worst update theyā€™ve ever done. Ruins the arena. Makes me dread that there are achievements attached and that it will likely show up in campaigns.

Plainly awful.

5 Likes

Dramatic much? I just completed an arena run in 5 min. So 5 min a week Iā€™ll do arena for the campaign and if the achievement is all you are worried about than 100 valor isnā€™t that many runs during the event either. If you are having a hard time sparing that much time, gems might not be the game for you.

This update was pretty terrible, but it is not the worst update by far. It may be one of the more disappointing ones due to players expectations for an arena rework.

2 Likes

It was annoying as hell before, it still is annoying as hell now. That game mode is designed to be boring, the fights are tedious. I would luckily ignore this trash IF campaigns wouldnā€™t remind me every week how much I hate this game mode.

This game is all about progression and then you force me to play with junk troops I already ignored on day 3 of my GoW career. And even worse, you force me to do it without traits and stat bonuses.

insert random dev insult here

4 Likes

Would you be kind enough to share the team you drew? I havenā€™t been able to get much but support troops. Hard to win when there are no attackers.

1 Like