Discussion about pay-to-win frustrations

These are interesting ‘facts’.
So 90% less diamonds from gathering cities from the moment of change between 1.07 and 1.08. However, at 1.07 you were about as high a percentage as you were going to get, and now you’ve got a goal to increase it again.
Everyone went down at the same rate as you, even paying players, so you’re not at a disadvantage.
And every time they release a new kingdom, which they will do, your percentage goes up again.
What we had in 1.07 was a broken model, holding back the development of the game.

50% less souls. Boohoo. Play 200% more, or just get wise as to how and when you spend souls.
Or be patient. Or be thankful how fast you were getting them previously.
I’m still holding on to 7k souls, because, in honesty, I already have one winning team. How many winning teams do you need?
95% less chance to gain legendary units.
Well, this confuses me.
In 1.06 I had two legendaries. In 1.07 I received a third and bought a fourth with glory.
In 1.08, I now have eight, with two doubles. For me, it was 95% more legendaries.
Better check your facts.

“150-200% possibility obtain power for any card” doesn’t even make sense, so i can’t discuss that one.

Well, since I comment to the thread and not the comments I feel like the 20 min I just spend reading them all was a complete waste, which lead to me pretty much knowing i wasnt wrong, what is that of increasing the gap between older and new players? Well no shit bro, the guy has 1 year playing more than you, after that, people trowing to others, some random guy whinning with fake facts, you and your husband supporting each other, and then its me asking for tldr. In between all that, the hippie people asking for peace.

If theres no issue the only thing left is crying, and as I said before, I know they are having a rough time because I’m on the same spot with other game, Summoner’s War of anyone wants to check the gap there, and they as a new players have to look up for us while when we were grinding we never had someone to look up at. Probably just Sammy for me. But thats doesnt mean you can just come and shit on the game for having a gap between players, a whole other succesuful games have it. I find this kind of people straight disgusting. Leaving it here, as long as this forum remains the same with this players, I think am just gonna comment on Match Masters and Game News topics. But hey, see you in the lounge. (Until the horde gets there.) ^^-

Well, there is a reason I almost never talk in the Lounge any more…

And the point has never been “new players should be on the exact same playing field as older player”. But well, people understand what they want to understand, and apparently no one ver has the right to disagree with the veterans, so… yeah, let’s just let the thread die, constructive criticism not welcome as per usual.

When they come up with one I would totally support it, but you might want to read the thread again, I can’t seem to find anything constructive on it. And the original title said it all. :v: :slight_smile:

[quote=“Serale, post:82, topic:2285”]
what is that of increasing the gap between older and new players? Well no shit bro, the guy has 1 year playing more than you[/quote]
See, that’s what happens when you spend 20 mins “reading” 80+ posts, including dozens that were pretty long: you miss the point. I’m not even sure what you understand of it, honestly, based on that statement. Anyway, the point is that the last two patches have made the game’s economy much harder for people who didn’t already have high level kingdoms and most troops maxed out, while making it much easier for the players who did. So the gap is bigger now than it was before, and that gap is even increasing exponentially. The point is not about how long anyone in particular has been playing, let alone compared to anyone else in particular.

Alright, you’re just yanking our chain, here. Cool story, bro.

I can agree with most of that, perhaps not the exponential part, as I for one am not progressing noticeably fast… still it’s obviously hard for me to see things from the perspective of lower level / more recent players (not intending to be patronising there - I do remember the grinding and slow start to the economy when I was there, it was not easy at the time, it’s just hard to tell how much harder it is now).

Let’s revive this thread by looking for improvement ideas then? enough complaining and arguing…

How about a few starters for the debate?

• increase arena rewards, esp souls (I have no issue with working at the game being rewarding)
  • don’t touch tributes much (I do have an issue with too much being handed out for free without working/playing)
  • make treasure hunt far more rewarding
  • introduce a month-long login calendar for increasing rewards for consecutive logins

Happy holidays all!

Well I believe that with this semi-fresh start that I’ll offer my two sense on the matter.

• Arena awards boosts would be nice. I’d say 2000 Gold instead of 1500 at 8 wins. And kicking the Souls back up to it’s usual amount since the difficulty exploit was fixed. Maybe another key but that’s not too important.

• Agreed on the tributes. There’s been discussion about gems being cut rather low, but honestly it makes a lot more sense than what it was giving before. When I first learned that 5+ tributes gave 20 gems, I was like “Woah! And this game still makes money?!”
    Most of my gems early on were earned via previous guild when starting, and got a 2 gem drop on occasion because of low tribute chance. Now? Tributes are easy to obtain solo thanks to the new kingdom system, it’s great! (1.0.7 was just crazy, man, gems all the time! Not good for business, not likely an intentional outcome.)

• I’d be down for a treasure upgrade, but more than that is the need of other mini games in general. Once those hit I think people won’t be so hung up over Treasure Hunt.

• Loyalty bonus would be nice. Obtainable to every one, decent in rewards (20 Gems day 22 login of the month, yes?), and maybe throw in a free Epic or a couple Gem Keys at the end of the month. I’m a fan of loyalty bonuses as well as Daily Quests.

Now for a big concern of the board. Note: All Opinion from here.

Player Level Gap - There will always be a gap, but the previous gap made a level 1000 no more frightening than a level 150 with 3 Venoxia and a Celestasia. The lack of gap actually felt like an issue! I want a challenge! How do I know if I’m progressing if the difference between me and a top player is their number of legendaries I can’t see outside the initial invade?

I’m going to give an example. Once upon a time a played a game known as WoW. WoW had this function where conflicting factions could rage through the others pre-built towns. I once stumbled through one of the fairly early towns and discovered all the NPC’s had died because a level 40 and a couple 30’s were storming through. I hid, I was terrified, I was excited! This was a chance to observe how awesome I could become! I loved every moment ducking behind buildings while still staying close to watch the rampage, my blood racing, just so I wouldn’t suffer a one-hit wonder.

It was amazing!

This game lacks or at least lacked that feeling. That second thought of “Should I really be trying to fight this?” I’m glad there’s a gap, especially when the fact of a possible toughest challenge was whether the AI had lucky drops on. (Goblins still OP doe!)

1 Like

I’m glad this discussion has taken this turn to what can be done to help.

I agree with the previous examples, although I also agree that giving out too many gems is not conducive to a money making experience for the devs.

In general though I feel like a lot more generosity toward grinding and F2P people will go a long way. I know that I am an impulse spender, when I get really close to achieving something in a gamer bit still have to grind, there are MANY times I just make a purchase to get too that next tier. As it stands now however, grinding takes SO long that it ALWAYS feels out of reach.

You need almost 5k souls to level a single troop to near max. When grinding that’s over 100 fights. When spending money to buy souls you can max 1.75 troops for the max soul purchase. It’s just too much.

Gold is another thing that could use a little more generosity. Not much, but how about removing the gold cost for challenges, story, and invade? This would be HUGE for new players, help older players a smaller amount for leveling cities.

Ascension is another one, HUGE amounts of resources are needed. I made s post about it here:

All in all I feel like giving out stuff more often will activate the rewards centered of the brain note often and keep players happy and interested, and also probably make then spend more.

2 Likes

[quote=“Machiknight, post:90, topic:2285”]
I’m glad this discussion has taken this turn to what can be done to help.
[/quote] Me too. Thanks for playing along, guys, and thank the background noise for stopping.

Before suggesting possible solutions to fix the issues, I’d like to clarify them again, in particular the “gap” notion as I feel we all feel it’s there, and it’s too big right now, but different players perceive it differently.

THE GAP

At the moment, the big, seemingly insurmountable gap I see and experience on a daily basis is between players who have very advanced collections (all Kingdoms at Level 10, most/all troops at Level 15+) and people who are (still) far away from that. It does show in “PVP” battles, since the former’s troops have an all-around 20 or so more stats than the exact same line-up in the hands of the latter, but it also shows in terms of overall progression, as the former get constant rewards that are absolutely huge compared to those the latter receive.

There is a “pay-to-win” angle to this, as a new player could potentially throw a ton of cash at the game and buy all the Gold, Keys & Souls needed to reach those levels in a pinch (and attain VIP 10 in the process), and they would definitely leave all strictly free-to-play new players (and a lot of long-time F2P players) far behind in terms of daily rewards, tributes, and in-battle stat bonuses. The possibility is there.

However, the biggest gap is actually among F2P players (or players who gave a little bit of cash at some point, like I did, but nowhere near enough to take the P2W path). Once again, I’ll state it: 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 gave an immense edge to those who had bigger, more advanced collections at the time vs those who didn’t. The effects of that edge are still cascading on a daily basis and widening the gap between those two camps (exponentially, I feel).

@Jainus About the exponential part: sure, your progress has slowed down with 1.0.8. Everybody’s progress has slowed down with 1.0.8 compared to 1.0.7, but the less advanced the collection, the bigger the impact of this halt. My Level 275 account with only half the Kingdoms at Level 10 and half the Troops at Level 15 was impacted a ton more than your Level 700+ account with all Kingdoms and Troops at (then-)max levels, I can guarantee you that. While it was raining Gems & Keys for you with the Tribute Emissaries going overboard during the 1.0.7 era, I very rarely saw more than 3 Emissaries at once, and not that often. While I was grinding Gold like crazy to level up my Kingdoms, yours required zero Gold for that, as you were basically immune to the new Gold requirement for the most part; so you were able to assign that Gold to other things, like Guild Tasks and a ton of Keys, further advancing your collection. You also receive better static rewards from Tributes as a result, and have far bigger stat bonuses in Invades, which gives you a better shot at racking up more Gold, Souls and XP on higher difficulty levels, in turn giving you more bang for your buck, and so on and on and on. Not to mention, Ascension is something you probably already can do, whereas it’s a very futuristic, abstract prospect to me. I need those Souls for base leveling before I can even dream of making a Mythic Goblin (or perhaps Dire Wolf, in your case ^^).

This all adds up, so that your account’s progress is and will inevitably remain faster than mine even if we play the exact same amount of time indefinitely. So, if I’m chasing you but you’re going faster than I am, the gap between us is growing exponentially. Even if you slowed down a bit lately, because I slowed down even more.

We’d need creative re-balancing of rewards and progression to make up for that, at least to an extent. I quite like @Machiknight’s idea to make newly completed Quests & Challenges invaluable again. It’d be a really decent step in the right direction.

KEYS

The current system gives us a lot more keys than the previous probably ever did, especially Gold Keys. Unfortunately, we get a lot less (new) troops from these, not just because each key only gives 1 thing as opposed to 3 in the past, or because you need Glory Keys at the minimum to even have a shot at an Epic or Legendary at all, but because every other key gives you a Traitstone, or a little bit of any given resource instead of a Troop.

My best, most reliable source of duplicate troops has been The Arena for a while, and especially since 1.0.8. I actually level up my troops to Level 15 based on my Arena line-ups, now, so I can get a shot at buying the duplicates on the cheap at the end of my runs (now that the bug on the Gem price has been squashed). This works wonders for Commons, Rares and Ultra Rares and is the most rewarding aspect of my favorite game mode at the moment. It does favor players who already have all their Troops at Level 15, as they don’t have to worry about grinding Souls to reach that 1 Gem offer, they just get it systematically no matter what line-up they pick, but this is still something for which my strategy and consistent efforts DO pay off, so I’m really not complaining about that. On the contrary, I’m very thankful for this feature. Please never, ever take it away! =)

However, as far as the 12 Legendaries and the 1 Epic (Shadow Hunter) I’m still missing out on to this day, the future doesn’t look too bright. I didn’t receive a single Legendary from Chests in ages, duplicate or otherwise, only a precious few duplicate Epics, and the current Key system makes it far less likely that I ever will. Even the few Event Keys I opened so far gave me an Ultra-Rare troop at best, which I really didn’t need or expect from these.

We’d need other sources from which to hope completing our Troop collections, even temporary, difficult ones. The Epic Arena was a fantastic opportunity, why don’t we do that again? Why not even a Legendary Arena? Perhaps with an increased fee or a more costly Gem offer at the end, but at least some kind of chance to get a specific troop once in a lifetime, as opposed to opening Chests forever with your fingers crossed.

TRAITSTONES

Well, there are very detailed dedicated threads on these, notably a brilliant analysis by @Shimrra, and the devs have also acknowledged our suggestion to fix the fact that The Arena only gives Broken Spire color Traitstones at the moment, and should give random ones to stay competitive in that regard. I think either the ability to trade or a crafting tool have both been suggested as well. We’d need opportunities to focus on the Traitstone we’re missing out on, and cash in on the ones we don’t need but have piled up a ton of. Pretty straightforward.

TRIBUTES

Okay, so I’m also well aware that the 1.0.7 system was breaking the game’s ability to make money with all the Gems and Keys it showered players with maxed-out Kingdoms with, and this was nerfed for a reason. I’m not suggesting going back to that, nor would I expect the devs to.

Still, those who missed out on those incredible opportunities could perhaps be given a little more love now that they’re still struggling to reach even the currently far lower level of Tributes those with 20 Level 10 Kingdoms are currently enjoying.

Why not a random event such as “Robin Hood noticed your 4 Level 1 Kingdoms and it made him very sad, so he gathered his gang and raided a Level 10 Kingdom to give you a little something back. Here are 4 Gems.”?

TREASURE HUNT

Treasure Hunt is fine overall. I know a lot of people dislike it and/or find it not rewarding enough, but I like it. The only obvious thing it’s sorely missing at the moment, and which should be fairly obvious, is that Traitstones need to be added to the potential rewards.

LOYALTY BONUS

Here, I respectfully disagree with you guys. The 7-day loyalty bonus is punishing enough to miss even once, and it happened to me a few times in the past, just miss one day and it takes you a whole week to regain your previous level, missing out on thousands in daily bonus. I really, really don’t want to risk 4 times worse. Also, everybody would be getting this, so it wouldn’t be a fair opportunity for players with low-level collections in particular. Giant, maxed-out collection players would benefit exactly as much from that.

3 Likes
  1. About this new thread - I have idea about new possibility to use only appointed units (ex. by origin or type) in TOURNAMENTS. Such like arena with limits. It is open idea - just what I figured out right now.

2. About main thread - I dont need to say anything more than @Archenassa said. I think he/she know exacly where is problem and exacly describe it. I wish to make better balance beetwen old/new players, specially to not allow such situation like on the posted picture. Sad to say - we have to confront everyday , and it`s not fun to see “neverending Story by AI move” destined to our lose. Also to pay a reward to “super pro players” with brilliant strategy to put OP units 3 times better that ours.

3. About forum design - it is one of most beautyful and best functionality I ever met. I dont say a word about admins, I dont want to judge them (specially after they change topic), but designers should get some bonus.

Probably true, thinking about it… I don’t know if that’s a bad thing or not… I got lucky getting into this game so early, and my position is a function of that luck, and of dedication and a lot of play (I have never missed a login since 24th November 2014, and play for an hour or two every day), and chucking in a little cash now and then… Perhaps I deserve to be out in front - perhaps not - and there are players up there that are no doubt that far ahead of me… In general my success doesn’t prevent others from succeeding - and if my defence team is too strong (which, as one Dire Wolf, it isn’t) then go invade someone else…

I am not concerned with there being this gap between account progress as such (easy for me to say, I know) because it took a long time to achieve it and I feel entitled to that - but if the game develops in a way that this gap makes it harder, or less fun, for newer players to progress the game then there will be an issue…

Overall your post is very thoughtful and well-voiced, thanks. I will disagree with you on one point though, on the one month ‘loyalty bonus’ idea:

I think your logic fails here. Proportionately, these rewards would benefit exactly those lower level players more. Get 50 gems on day 25? Great for players who can’t access gems so much. I get that many from my Guild in only a day or so. Us ‘giant’ players won’t notice it much, whereas for newer/‘weaker’ players that windfall will have a more pronounced effect. Get a free epic or legendary card on day 30? Great, I already have them all - I need five of each to ascend to make a difference to my collection - for you a shot at one of the ones you’re missing is far more valuable (proportionately, it seems to me). Personally I think the login should need you to win 5 matches each day to qualify (not just open the app then close it again), but that’s just my view…

Yep, great idea - we like the idea of setting up daily or weekly challenges with this kind of thing…

Sorry but that might happen now and then. If a few high end players are out of your league, then just invade someone else. If you can’t get a battle that you can win, then the game has a problem I guess. Generally this game favours skill over pure numbers and with strategy you can win most battles - if that starts to fail then there’s a problem - you’ll see fuss on this forum when something is over-powered enough to risk that (or reduce variety, hence numerous threads on goblins at the moment).

Not sure what you mean. Refer to my last paragraph - there might be battles you can’t win - but the enemy isn’t over-powered, just ahead of you in the game, and they will have worked (or at least played) a long time to get there.

I changed the topic title, not some ‘admin’ person. I am just a long-time player who has posted a lot (and behaved myself) on this forum, and so like many others here I have certain extra rights, including relabelling and reclassifying threads. I changed the title away from ‘you know how to kill the game’ for two reasons:

• it wasn’t clear what the thread was about, specifically
  • it was too emotive (in my view) and unhelpful as a title, sounding just like a set of insults for the devs, which no one needs

@Archenassa rightly pulled me up for using the word ‘emotive’ in the revised title, and she removed it, as she also has those rights, which anyone can get here, with time and civil behaviour.

Since then this thread has changed in to a very useful area of debate (recently) and it’d be great to see more ideas and constructive feedback for the devs, who do read it all…

Yikes, that was a wall of text. Cheers all.

What you think about a buff called “Blessing of the Krystara Queen”

• 100% More Gold from all incoming Sources.
  • 200% More Experience from Invades.
  • 200% More Souls from Arena and Challenges.

I think a good 6 month duration (Or until you hit level 250) for it would be nice, the buff would only be rewarded to new accounts and if they keep the logs of this on their servers, to those who have less than 6 months playing (And their hero is below level 250).
On the image, when you click, tap or whatever on it, you could see the time remaining of your buff something like: “3m 5d 19h”

The idea of having a monthly reward is quite nice, and it’s something that it’s been implemented on a lot of games, as you have stated before, @Jainus, high level players don’t really benefit from those, you said we made 50 gems here while we actually made 85 daily, while for a low level player that would be awesome to get, for us it’s more like “Oh, nice”, It would add a little incentive for the casual players to come and play some matches and not only log-in and log-out as it is right now.

Getting rid of lesser/inactive guild would be nice for new commers, most of them are just noob traps that would keep them down, am not saying we most prevent people from doing new guilds but adding a little requirement would make it better. Along with bigger guilds not capped in 30 to get more players on the already existing guilds.

A little less impactful and maybe not as good is making the vip level 1 free instead of “0.1$” and move the “New troops start at level…” perk to that level. Older players have already pretty much all the troops so they don’t benefit from it, in which case it would only greatly help new commers.

my english is not so good to post a long text but I wanted to express another point of view.

I can say I am a bit grinding type of player. Playing over a year but my lvl is still below 300. As I am in a top 10 guild and I have enough resources. How did I get to this position?

1. I liked the game and played without a guild at the beginning just to understand all the aspects. I was not able to beat high lvl players but guess what, it was OK. I cannot expect something like that as a new player.
  2. Knowing game enough, I decided to start a guild. It was fine at the beginning but I realized that it would take much effort to find players willing to contribute and play for the guild.
  3. Later, I already knew this game is great so I decided to read the forum more actively and possibly join some active guild. Fortunately, my current guild was recruting at that time.
  4. Now, I play 2h a day in average. Earning only 100 trophies per week in average but It seems to be enough for guild progress and to keep me happy when playing this game.

Can this be achieved by a new player? Of course it can. It just take some dedication.
You want to be good with many troops and maxed kingdom? Well, you have to play, grind and be more active when looking for a good guild.
You want to play for fun? You can, but you need to carefully choose opponents. This is imho the only problem now. It is difficult for new players to find an appropriate opponent.

If there was a better algorithm calculating with the level and troops strenght, It might be easier for new players.
Or there could be at least a selection menu where you can decide which lvl opponent you want to match :smile:

P.S. My brother is a new lvl50 player and he is not complaining. He just wants to play for fun. I just wanted to point out that not all new players complain.

I just remind that the gap that everyone talk is just the bunch of things-to-do in the game. So yes, obviously, devs add features and if you don’t take time to play, you will be “late”. But nobody force you to be in the front if you don’t want to play…
Traitstones add a new grinding system and I have like new players to farm these stones from scratch. The difference: I have already so much troops that I don’t care about it. But I will surely spend the same amount of time than new players to grind these stones. So I don’t agree when people said that old players have a big advantage. Yes, if you forget about my 800 hours on this game. But where a new player will be in 800 hours? He surely will have a more balanced traitstone/troop stock than me or any old-active-players.
Finally, for the P2W (the initial topic), did you really play this game before saying something like that? 50$ means 75 gem keys. And with that maybe you can unlock new legendary troops but you will never have enough for ascension or whatever… So despite you spend thousand and thousand of dollars, I don’t really understand how this game can be a P2W… It remind me that this game had so much bad reviews on Steam since its launch because of people thinking that this game is a P2W… Did you really think this game was a P2W before patch 1.0.8? If no, I don’t see why you think this game became a P2W…

3 Likes

What if this game is pay to win if you can afford 1000s of dollars at the drop of a hat? i think this is not pay to win as much as a certain star wars card game i know of. what are your thoughts on the vip system? do you like it or no?

@KAYA43V3R, mind if I post this chart on Steam? Of course giving you credit for it. A large majority of people on Steam don’t check these forums.

Absolutely not. Giving players something they can get used to, only to cut away eventually, is extremely bad for player retention. Besides which, everything seems slower once you level up enough anyway. Even having something like that for the first week is risky - there would inevitably be people who thought it was some kind of bug, and then when they found out it was deliberate would complain and/or leave outright. That is basically putting a limit on how long people would play the game.

Now, giving out good stuff after they’ve been used to bad stuff (so to speak), that is much better from a psychological standpoint.

4 Likes

Currently once you have defeated a challenge set you get a one time bonus of 100 souls, after that they are very unrewarding. Paying 60+ gold to fight a battle with a LOT lower yield than PVP. If I can get 800-2000 gold per fight, why bother with a challenge fight for nothing except targeted traitstone drops?

I’d suggest that after defeating all challenges at a Kingdom a 6th Star is unlocked for all. This 6th fight is repeatable at will and gives +50 souls on victory (augmented by Warlord level).

If you need gold, hit PVP. If you need souls, hit challenges.

Pretty sure they could add a giant yellow exclamation point such as the ones on defenses every time they log on into their account to make sure they know how much time they have left.