Devs, enough is enough, Communicate!

This is why we can’t have nice things.

3 Likes

Now that i have had some time to calm down i have a few comments so here we go;

I would like to give props to the op for clearly statimg what many of us were feeling and in doing so drawing @Sirrian out to make a statement. So thank you for that @Pantenkind

I also want to thank @Sirrian for making said statement as we all needed to hear it i think. I for one feel much better after reading most of what you posted brudda

As for the rest of what sirrian said… I would like to apologize on behalf of the community at large for the ignorant an inexcusable actions of those chuds who would threaten you in any way and if i knew who they were i would like to smack them around for a bit…

8 Likes

@Sirrian, @Saltypatra - I apologize to both of you and your team for posting in frustration and venting on the forums.

I cannot believe you get death threats for changes made (or not made) to GoW, that is horrifying and I hope all that you reported to the police found out the hard way that making threats over the internet is a serious issue.

10 Likes

I never understood all the hate. The game just got another patch and some bugs came with it, I do personally call them minor bugs. Well, its obvious that the Devs is trying to fix them, and make the game better. But all the fixes is not done over the night. We need to be a little patient.

The thing that always annoyed me in this game was the few reworks of troops, to make them more viable for endgame players. But I will survive.

7 Likes

@Sirrian @Saltypatra
Allow me to thank you, from the depths of my heart to you. I salute you both.

As I’ve had my good share of forum presence throughout more than 10 years of my life… I have to say that you guys make the present one the most enjoyable. And I do not exaggerate.
You share what really is happening behind the scenes - and that is invaluable. I might not say this on behalf of everyone, but I do know how stressful and time-consuming your work is. And I appreciate your “trip to forums”, because I know Sirrian and Nim can hardly afford it, anymore. And I also perfectly understand how @Saltypatra’s work is limiting.

I’m not sure how to say it in different words.

Thank you, guys!

We love you. Go catch them bugs! :smile:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks everyone!

It’s nice to hear from you all… as I said, I really love most of the community, and would happily hang out and talk with you all for hours.
The people who cause the trouble are NOT you guys! Not at ALL. But the internet being what it is, there is no wall we can put up to keep the crazy out, and that level of crazy can honestly wear you down. We’re absolutely going to try and find ways to deal with that better in the future, but at the moment, the best solution I have is to limit my time (and for Nimhain to limit her time) in the community while we get the next phases of Gems of War released.

The internet just has so many people of ALL types, and some will go from 0 to 9001 in a single interaction without ever trying to engage us in a dialog. If they did TALK to us, they would find that EVERY single one of us here wants nothing more than to make an awesome game that is the best possible thing we can collectively make… and I think almost every game dev team I have ever worked in or talked to is identical in that respect. Just know two things about all these teams:

1. When we screw up, it’s generally not because we’re incompetent or lazy… it’s because we’re ambitious, optimistic, and trying to juggle a lot of difficult tasks at once. Every engineer in the games industry is here because he/she loves their job - even though they almost certainly have the skills to be earning twice as much somewhere else.

2. When we don’t answer your questions directly… we’re not avoiding you, or ignoring you - it’s entirely possible we’re trying desperately to finish our work, or design a new thing (or fix a screw-up… see #1 above!!!). That’s why Ms. Salty is here, to make sure there always is a conduit for your voices to reach us, and vice versa.

And, you know, I think most of you guys here probably KNOW all that. It’s really there for any of the 0-to-9001 folks on the off chance they might read it and realise there is a better way to work with us than just yelling & threatening!

Have a great day everybody! I’m off to continue work on the crafting system… nothing quite ready to share yet, as I’m still working on some of the details involving how we select which Mythics are available for crafting at any given time (since offering them ALL is something that’s not going to scale well as we move forward).

38 Likes

Sirrian’s Tower? Nimhain’s Lair? The fanfic just writes itself…

2 Likes

Whats next, Salty’s cave? :yum:

5 Likes

Maybe I missed something before but… Is this the first time it’s been confirmed that we’ll be able to craft mythics? If so, that’s all the “sneak peek” I really need at this point!

1 Like

Bruh. Words.

3 Likes

Mmmmm… Crafting system…

1 Like

@Sirrian Dont worry about death “threats” in my experience real crazy people dont threaten to do things they just do them. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Pretend there is an Archer “Phrasing” gif here (I didn’t want to meme bomb the thread)
Phrasing

3 Likes

Op here, I really appreciate you realizing that although my post was made out of frustration, it was an attempt to make a game I love playing better. I also want to say thank you for the time you took to reply like you did.

@Saltypatra sorry I got a little rough with you about the title, again, I know it comes across as a bit harsh, but I wanted the devs to see it and understand the playerbase’ frustration.

And as for death threats, it’s sad that we live in a world where that doesn’t surprise me. I think most of us here fall into the “I shall write a strongly worded post” crew. The fact that there are people in this world that would even joke about killing someone over a game is a sad state of affairs.

But again, thank you for the game I love.

1 Like

@Sirrian, Lord knows how difficult your task is. Dealing with the public at a distance is even worse than dealing with the public face-to-face. After cooling down a bit, I know this is just a game to us but it is your livelihood and you deserve our support. Gems of War IS a really fun game, addictive as all get out, and would be really fun to help develop.

No one deserves the kind of personal abuse you engendered. We are all just flesh-and-blood human beings and subject to mistakes and miscalculations, and if I have insulted or abused you or your staff, I apologize.

3 Likes

I totally agree. Those people should definitely be locked up! Hell…I know people who’ve gotten prison sentences for less.

TO THE GUILLOTINE!

1 Like

@Sirrian @Saltypatra
I’ve just read Sirrian’s first reply to my partner and she and I were both horrified.
Everyone understands certain frustration with this game occasionally, whether they’ve paid into it or not. It’s very sad and an unfortunate circumstance of the modern ‘connected’ world we live in that you’ve been subjected to some frigging loonies banding insults and worse around. We both think that’s appalling.
Thanks to you and and your team for responding to this particular thread, (it must be hell being a game Dev at times) and putting your responses so eloquently.
Keep going guys, and keep squishing those bugs!
Regards
Nephilim and Rusty Sword (ps4 guild - Quimby)

3 Likes

Anyone make irl threats needs to be banned from the internet and life.

My only issue has been my same gripe all along. You had the masses of people on PS4/XBONE all telling you it was a horrible system to implement…and you literally ignored us all and went ahead with it. Now people have pitchforks and I am sitting thinking:
“why were thousands of people on the chat within game ignored”

All you had to do was go to chat anytime of any day and see it just full of people raging about the AI.

So while I say FU to the people making real life threats at you…I say WTH??? to ignoring all of us telling you the system was broken.

I could support said behavior warranting a lifelong ban from life… It is at the very least an interesting paradox…

1 Like

I just don’t get people who cannot express their feelings without threatening the well being of another human being.

2 Likes