Council of Chiefs

I rather believe it’s just one of several bugs that would have been caught with proper testing. Numbers being off in some way has become pretty much the norm, on a weekly base. Unfortunately, they can’t admit any mistakes here, players would shout for compensation, which they are not prepared to give on an even remotely adequate level. As the past has shown, sending everybody generous 100 souls and 10 gems just doesn’t go down well with all the players who invested deeply.

I’m having some hopes they will have “evaluated the feedback” in time for the next event and “made some adjustments to scoring and reward tiers” to “make the overall experience more fun”. Who knows, once they figure out and fix whatever is causing scores to fluctuate so wildly they might even explain how scoring works, like repeatedly promised prior to the patch.

1 Like

Conducting experiments on human subjects without the knowledge of the subjects is 100% unethical, always.

3 Likes

That word pretty much sums up the bulk of mobile gaming today…which, ironically, is how GoW became so popular.

It was different. It wasn’t predatory like everything else. And that made it wildly popular.

Now it’s just part of the Borg.

11 Likes

Totally.

We aren’t that far away from having to spend gems every day of every week to participate, granted it’s a choice, but the actual schedule is not far removed from that.

There should be a clear annoucement. Something along the lines of…

'A full guild with all active members contributing the same will be able to complete any event by all at least buying xxx tier, regardless of Valraven’s claimed.

Any subesquent investment of gems, may allow you to increase the number of tokens to make additional medals.’

Random, unknown scoring has it seems been introduced to prevent sharing top spots, which surely if you think about it, will negatively impact on them. If I was in a situation where I’ve no clue if my investment will give me a chance at sole first place, I’d skip it = less gems or cash spent.

2 Likes

I don’t want to just like your post, that’s terrible, even as a bystander to learn.

A message from Wanda: Thoughts on (Alleged) 4.7 Update - #10 by WandaTheWemic

2 Likes

Sadly proven wrong, both in this thread and a different one yesterday: The announcement for the event, that was posted a week ago, does show a screenshot with “normal” target numbers, while these ones were inflated shortly ago.

Also the thread in question has been removed and the announcement has been edited 13 hours ago…

1 Like

As unified as the forum is regarding this particular event, the spending continues unabated on xbox one at least. All of the top 20 are close to or in excess of 10k points. At the top is an idiot with 54k points. His guild recently went into collapse and was down to less than 10 members so perhaps his ludicrous attempt is aimed at recruiting (which may backfire). When idiocy on this scale takes place, it’s non stop happy days for the bulging cash register and the valid objections we have made pale into insignificance. The game is guaranteed to deteriorate with exhibitions like this which promote the positivity of the economy, thus indicating that it’s a success and that the devs have got away with being the epitome of greed yet again.

EDIT
My previous description of the devs was flagged lol.

2 Likes

As much as I dislike the apparent intent behind this new event, I don’t mind other people spending money on something they enjoy (setting aside for now possible addictions). There is only so much I can fight for a game I neither develop nor publish, and if I am in the minority then so be it. Eventually Gems will stop being something I want to spend time or money on, and I will move on to the next great time sink.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

I will never tell someone how to spend their entertainment money, no matter how stupid I feel it is. Not my life, not my place. I (and all of us) probably spend money in ways others would consider idiotic, too.

However, if the game turns into War of the Wallets, those of us who don’t believe in spending in that manner will need to find something else to do.

10 Likes

I find the whole “we’re not going to tell you exactly how to min/max your score” thing to be a deflection. You have already told us how to min/max our score: attack the highest rarity enemy, get the highest rarity enemy to the highest level you can. Then there is the unknowable RNG factor. It’s no more complicated than that. The issue with the scoring is that there is a RNG component to begin with. If scoring is random, there really isn’t any point to competition.

The bigger issue for me is the inability to most guilds (and this includes many high-ranking guilds) to complete the Rewards stages. Even without knowing an exact scoring formula, your players very quickly realized that it would require a much(!) larger gem investment for a guild to have enough sigils to earn enough to collect all of the rewards. I have to assume that the devs are either really bad at math, or else this was an intentional effort to hyper-monetize the game. When you say that everything is “working as intended”, it sounds as though the culprit is greed.

10 Likes

Ding Ding Ding.

It’s a test case to see how the players react before they launch the next new event, and they even paved the way by saying that different events will have different criteria so they can just point back to that when people ask about the spending disparity.

There are only 2 possible explanations for tier 6-7 being required.

1. Somebody can’t do math.
  2. It’s deliberate.

Going by the few dev comments we have thus far it’s looking more like #2. Which is extremely disappointing to say the least. Possibly the biggest gem nerf we have seen in the game to date (adding a cost of 850-1350 gems to complete event). Hiding behind “You don’t HAVE to spend the gems if you don’t want to” is a blatant diversion tactic. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t yet have Zuul because without that random major orb each week I can’t even calculate how long it will take to craft him.

7 Likes

Since we have been told that feedback is being collected I will offer mine.

I very much do not like the Council of Chiefs reward tiers. I do not like that my guild would have spend thousands and thousands more gems to complete this repetitive event. We have prided ourselves on completing every guild event since the guild was formed. We won’t be able to complete the event this week without numerous people getting out their wallets.

Not only did the cost of playing the event to the end go up dramatically compared to the other events but if a guild is wealthy enough to finish the event, the rewards themselves are pretty weak, in my opinion. It takes a pretty ridiculous amount of effort to get 3 medals at the end of the week for your guild and the other rewards aren’t especially exciting.

It feels lacking to not have a troop come out with the event also. I looked forward to slowly increasing some kingdoms with a new event troop a few times a month and even that tiny bit of progression is missing from Council of Chiefs.

Especially during this time of corona virus, it would be very nice if Gems of War was generous instead of stingy or even greedy as many others have stated is their opinion. As I try to find a little gaming time this week in the middle of the chaos going on in the real world, I am starting to agree that this event does indeed seem to be designed to force many players to pay money to win it.

I sincerely hope that this event is changed immediately, but if that cannot be done, I hope no other event with this exceptionally high cost and mediocre reward is ever produced again in Gems of War.

It is not too late to fix this, but I don’t have much hope that it will be fixed.

Why did our fun gaming outlet have to be so depressing right when we needed some relief from the real world?

9 Likes

They CAN change it now (they have changed it midweek in the past) but they won’t because this is a test to see how far they can stretch us before we break.

If they see an increase in gems spent this will become the new norm and we will see an official post that basically explains the need for the change.
If they see a drop in gems spent we will see an official post saying how “We’ve heard you” and will be returning to the tier 4 required of raid/invasion.

4 Likes

The responses we’ve received lead me to believe that nothing about the current event will be “fixed”. Any changes will show up for the next event, and this entire cycle will potentially start all over again.

Playing the event earlier today, I had this round occur.

Look at that, a decent round for a change! Hey, a mythic fight spawned. Let’s try that next.

/sigh

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

21 Likes

6 is the minimum for that last fight unfortunately (according to my calculations). Saw a legendary level 950+ fight get the minimum too. This type of (apparent) randomness is going to be hard to get over in scoring.

8 Likes

I had a similar experience, but both times with Zorn’s Wraiths just a few matches apart:

4 Likes

I’m a new player and was having fun with this game, but this new event is making me scared that I wasted money on a game that will be rendered a ghost town in a few months.

If top tier guilds can’t complete the event, everyone will just not bother. We should want people actually playing the game right? GW keeps people playing all week and does not cost an exorbitant amount of gems. We need more to do without paying up every event.

7 Likes