Council of Chiefs

If the next world event is like this, I hope it takes place on alderaan.

11 Likes

@Saltypatra

Your point doesn’t answer the underlying question. Is it IP2 and 505’s intention that 30 players in a guild should have to flawlessly play all sigils from tier 7 in the shop to complete the rewards THIS WEEK? Whether or not you expect each guild to spend $3700.00 worth of gems for the same rewards as usual is a piviotal issue right now.

The question isn’t whether the rng drops are right or of the mode is functioning as designed.

11 Likes

We are two days into this one. Why can’t this present one be looked at? I know that the portals can be changed with a server side update. And I can’t emphasize this enough… The amount of points needed to close all the portals is the tumor. Everything else are minor complaints that just needs polishing.

19 Likes

I’m getting the impression that they pretend to be dumb and not understand questions when the answer they’d give is one we won’t like. They know what we are asking and they are choosing to avoid it…but hey, there’s a gems sale. You could buy the gems to finish it, since no one is forcing you to finish the event, right?

5 Likes

The scoring issue that people have complaints with, as in the RNG factor, is all related to the total score needed to complete the event.

Lower score needed = lower tiers needed to be bought = less worries about min/maxing (will be complaints still cause lets be real)

As it stands, with the requirements atm, to finish this event every person in the guild needs to buy at least t6 with most likely some needing to buy t7 cause RNG scoring. That is too much to ask players to do, and I dont think most guilds will ask players to, even top guilds.

We are waiting a few more days and seeing what happens, but as it stands, we wont be finishing the event for the 1st time ever, and in future versions wont be even attempting it really. The only reason I bought t6 in this event, and most likely never will again, is so that I can get my 3 medals after the event is over, and then I wont have to worry anymore about getting them.

The problem with ignoring this 1, and focusing on future events, is that with the change to scoring every event, we dont know if we will need t4 or t6 or 10xt7 to complete any of the events until we have started, and if we arent sure and its closer to spending more gems that we dont have or have the means to make, then we just wont attempt the event.

If people wont attempt the event, even the top players and the whales, then the entire event was a fail and was 0 point in it.

I get what the devs want to do, and why they are putting off on any decisions, hell its Wednesday morning in Aus, the event was released Monday arvo. But a decision needs to be made THIS event, not for the sake of completionists, or for whales, but purely for the health of the game going forward.

We want to play the game, some of us spend insane amounts of time on this game rather than others. Dont force us to go and spend that time elsewhere 1/4 a month because the event that week is just unrealistic in what it expects us to get.

The “You dont have to complete it” mindset is fine and valid for like 95% of the players. But you want content that the top 5% of players can finish. BD is top 30 guild in trophy gains per week, so I would say we are easily in the top 1% let alone the 5% of active players. Yet even we are considering not doing the event, as the total score requirement is too high for the rewards.

25 Likes

I think I know why they increased the tiers required. In raid/invasion a large portion of endgamers were buying tier 6 to get the new troop mythic. Now that we no longer get a new troop those players have no incentive to keep buying tier 6. So if all stage rewards could be unlocked with tier 4 they would see a massive drop in gems spent on these events. They can’t let gem expenditure go down, it must go ever upward.

Problem is they removed the carrot from tier 6 (mythic troop) and replaced it with almost worthless EPIC tokens. Devs must place extreme “gem value” on these tokens and greatly overestimated our desire for them.

16 Likes

I would say the same about the other events.

Tower of Doom normally gives my Guild 5 Luck Scrolls by the time we reach floor 25, so at 35 Dooms x 30 players, we’d have more than enough to complete the event. I used to buy to tier 6, because the barrier helped with those empowered Doom Rooms, but lately stop at the weapon. There is a certain degree of prestige to be earned by finishing first, or even top 50 (we were 60th last time). But the Guild rewards for those outside the top 10 (if that) are not worth the effort.

There were times I would buy Tier 6 in Invasion and Raids to mythic the troop, and then not use all my sigils. And if the Kingdom in question was blocked by needing a Mythic to get to Power level 10, I’d stop at the Weapon.

I have no idea what a third of my guild does with their gems. Maybe they use them as I do, maybe they waste them on Arena Souls…we had one do that once 6 months ago. Complete waste.

But maybe they’ll use them to get the Medals of Season tokens and never complete more than 20 battles. So in the eyes of 505, the event will be a success.

As for the Rng involved with the Skulls, I’d say it was their response to all the LB tie rigging in Class trials and Invasions.

I do hope they reduce the total reqs for Guild rewards, but I don’t hold my breath. Salty already said they would no longer respond to this thread.

1 Like

With ToD, after the 1st 4 floors, you get 1 Luck scroll every 4 floors. So every guild gets 5 luck scrolls by 25. 6 if they get 1 on floor 25.

ToD is pointless once you have finished the stage rewards. The Leaderboard rewards are a joke, but thats not what we are discussing here.

The stage rewards are fairly similar across all the events, with a t4 buyin on average by everyone in the guild to complete an event.

This has the same rewards, and tokens, for a higher buyin by everyone to finish the rewards.

Unless it is reduced, it wont make people spend more to finish it, people will simply listen to the devs, and go we dont have to complete it, and just not do it, which is a flop of an event, and something the devs do not want to happen.

1 Like

Reminder that all events will eventually be in this format. If the tiers make them impossible to complete without heavy buy-in and people stop participating; what keeps them logging in each day?

1 Like

And tokens are not worth 3x the Gems cost of finishing an event.

People will simply refuse to buy that many tiers, and Guilds will adjust requirements accordingly (or set a goal such as finishing Tier 10 instead of Tier 12, or some such).

Ding Ding Ding…this is exactly what will happen. I hear the sound of MAUs dying inside already.

So by looking at the next world event you have every intention to break that one as well and then respond with,” Talk amongst yourselves while we break the following world event”. A better solution; rather than chasing your tail would be to do something with the current event or at the very least show some decorum and hold your hands up and admit the scoring algorithm is bugged.

1 Like

So just to make sure I have this clear… The new event requires everyone in the guild to purchase tier 6-7 to complete all rewards, which is a significantly greater gem cost than any prior guild event, no matter how well people play or how strategically they choose their battles.

And the devs are insisting that everything is fine and working as intended, and they won’t change it? I don’t understand how they expect anyone to be okay with this, or to even be willing to keep playing the game if this type of event is soon going to be happening multiple times per month.

17 Likes

We are not okay with it…they don’t care, unfortunately. This week’s “test” isn’t a test of the game mode. It is a test of what we are willing to spend.

13 Likes

There is no logic whatsoever with the event as everyone has pointed out. It seems to me that despite completing a new highest battle level, all previous lower levels remain in the pool as possible future fights and that these possible fights are selected at random. I bought tier 4 and I’ve won every fight and killed every raven but I am still getting pool options of a maximum level of 40 whereas I have previously defeated level 200. There is no way to know what spending is required according to this scheme so I won’t be spending more in a bid to find out. It will soon be invasion time and Lord knows what we can expect there now that the event has been condensed. I would not be at all surprised if the completion investment per player has ramped up there as well. Gulp. I am already sharpening my backup pitchfork.

1 Like

This isn’t good for newer players that don’t have a surplus of gems to spare. Hope the devs listen to us minions and change their mind. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it…

1 Like

It this is true, then that is called “monetizing on pandemics”, meaning making profit of other people suffering. It not, then they couldn’t choose the worst timing to increase profits.

2 Likes

What the publisher (and by extension, the devs) will listen to is a hit to their bottom line.

If you don’t want to buy T6/T7, don’t. Save your gems and encourage others to do the same. Encourage others to not spend money for the sake of completing an event.

Make no mistake, this is a trial run. If spending goes up, this will just continue.

Also, bear in mind that what we say here only reaches a microscopic percentage of GoW players. Most never touch a forum, or a Discord, or social media at all. Those players will be the ones who make the decision for all of us because they’re the overwhelming majority.

7 Likes

From what the devs have said so far, it seems clear that they are testing the playerbase to see if they will put up with this extreme rise in gem costs for these new events. If tons of people cave and buy tier 6/7 for this event just so their whole guild can close all stages, then this pricing trend will continue.

So, our only hope is for players not to fall for it.

5 Likes

Council of chiefs runs extremely slow on both pc and Android for me. Basically unplayable. I’m really losing interest in GoW lately. You guys keep adding and changing thing for the worse. I’ve been keeping my wallet closed lately. I’ve been playing for years but that may soon change. I’m a long standing member of Kraken the whip and when Wanda left the game it decimated our guild. Thanks a lot.

5 Likes

I like this theory but I still don’t know if I buy that they’re so stupid as to see this isn’t a different scenario. I feel like Raid/Invasion are instances of “thoughtful game design” and this is more, “We have to release something, don’t waste time thinking.”

When they created Raid Boss and Invasion they explicitly stated it was a design goal that guilds should be able to finish with people participating at a mix of Tier III and IV, but that they imagined it would be easier and more likely if people bought more.

I know this is true because I almost never purchased Tier VI and made do with a Legendary boss-killer. For Invasion this only made it harder, for Raid Boss it’s arguable this lowered my scores (less damage in matches where I lost == lower score.)

So getting the troop to mythic is an optional thing those endgamers chose. They had ample gems, it helped their guild, it’s an equitable transaction. Even if they paid every week, I find this situation fine because the people who weren’t paying got the same thing with a bit more effort.

This is how F2P purchases work: they promise you will get to the goal faster if you pay money. We accepted it.

SO, let’s compare that design with this design.

Now, there’s no troop to boost at Tier IV. Tier III promises to give me something that saves me time. Tier IV is the weapon, which could be a carrot as significant as a troop. Tier IV is the next set of boosts, and Tier VI is the next set of boosts. (I’m not going to heavily criticize the current weapon, because I accept not all weapons are going to be Rope Dart levels of good.)

That part makes sense. Buying more tiers saves you more time.

What doesn’t make sense is the sigils required. Previously, we knew a player was going to have to buy sigils up to Tier IV or so in order for their guild to have a chance. With this randomized scoring system, you might have to buy Tier V, you might have to buy Tier VI, or you might have to go even further. There’s no way to predict until you’re out of sigils.

This is a major change in design, @Kafka. The previous events are “spend gems to reach the goal faster”. This event design is “spend gems to reach the goal”. The “faster” part is missing, and it’s a crucial part of F2P purchases. It doesn’t matter if Tier VI makes me able to finish the earlier sigils faster if I have to buy it to reach all rewards. That makes it “the cost of entry”, not “an optimization that costs gems”.

@Kafka, I’m double-mentioning because I think this is very important and I want to make it clear which paragraphs are for the devs specifically, not just the players reading. The team’s past design choices made it seem, to me, like they were aware that “finishing all goals” is psychologically important to guilds. Raid/Invasion were explained to us in terms of what tiers you, the devs, believed we’d have to buy to complete all goals. They were well-received because the gem cost was reasonable, and I suspect a lot of people bought gems just to reduce the time investment.

But @Kafka, the last few GoW changes seem to indicate a shift towards the philosophy, “It is OK if more-than-F2P investment is required to complete an event, rather than complete it faster”. This event is an explicit expression of that belief. That is a philosophy shift for Gems of War, and I would not have played it for more than 2 years if it had started with that mindset.

That is why I’m upset this time, @Kafka. I know you can do this math, and in the past the team has proved you keep these things in mind. So I do not trust explanations that you were blindsided. Any player could have explained this to you, but what I see of the beta program feedback leaking out is exactly what has always been true: you took some feedback from them, but they did not get to comment on the final released decision. There is no point to having beta testers if you do not show them what will release.

Think about the design aspect. Think about it not from your game developer perspective, where you’re imagining events far more generous than this one. Think about it from a player perspective, where our first introduction to your event is, “Pay 1k gems or your guild isn’t competitive.”

12 Likes