Console devs, lets talk tasks

No traitstone drops from tasks, sorry.

But we’ve absolutely increased the amount of “build a weird team for this” tasks.

On the PC/mobile side there is a long tutorial system, which teaches you about several specific things. On the console side the task system replaces all of that - and extends the guided/tutorial experience to last weeks. This makes the console side much easier to ramp into, according to our data.

Glad to hear it! This was totally the intent. GoW has always been a really robust game, but it was very easy to ignore a lot of that in favor of just getting 1 powerful team and grinding everything mindlessly.

I was going to continue this discussion but I guess it isn’t relevant anymore lol

Ah well, had to try.

And by weird I hope there’s something like the “Meet the In-laws” kind of weird (Orion, Cathy, Nobends, Hag). While I know they’re not all on console and some may be too high a rarity, they are a very weird and wacky team. But they fit a theme too (how random do you like it?)

So I guess the only question left would be… You had mentioned a preview video for the changes. Any rough estimate on when we’d see that or is it safe to assume not before all the current locked content is unlocked or close to that time?

Won’t be a video (sorry) - just a post here. (I’ll make a new thread for it.)

New patch hasn’t been announced, but I’d guess with confidence that you’ll have it up before the end of June. Obviously crazy things could happen to prevent it.

2 Likes

Wow that is a bit earlier than expected since it seemed like we still had about 8 more weeks worth of unreleased things from this patch.

Last question then, the next console patch will be say 1.095? Basically based on the 1.09 pc patch with the 2.0 troop adjustments or are we jumping straight to our version of 2.0 with the PvP changes (which really did infuse new life into the old formula.)

And thanks for your time with answering us here.

I think we’ll call it 1.095.

1.085 was the PC 1.0.8 feature set, but with balance & troops from 1.0.9.
Similarly, our next patch will include all the 1.0.9 features, but with balance & bug fixes from 2.0 (and beyond, like the Mist of Scales troop adjustments, which came out after 2.0 was live.)

We won’t have the PvP revamp.

Hello Drifting Sands and Blighted Lands and my guess of all new event troops prior to 2.0

Thanks again for your time with this.

Yeah, I have been saving my Kingdom Level up tasks until I get them in Slot 2 AND 4. Then I clear them out.

1. Each time you level a Kingdom it just makes the game slightly harder on console (until its patched)
  2. Tasks are awesome. And I was getting very close to getting stuck
  3. Just cleared my last Level a Kingdom out… Well after cruising through at least 30 or more tasks in one sitting, I’m officially stuck back at Level a Kingdom with nothing left to upgrade.

So I guess I’m in the Irish and Shiratori camp of “abusing” the Task system but it sure was fun. And rewarding.

Mr. Strange
Please consider the Traitstone suggestion. Such as win 40/50 battles using a complete team of 4 troops from said Kingdom. You would still be subject to RNG in that you could not control the Kingdom/Traitstone in the Task list.

Well looks like I too am an abuser of this great task system.
Weekends I’ll go thru tasks so quick but weekdays I only get to play for 1-2hours.

Hoping the improve a kingdom task will be removed or at least only have it on top line task.

@Mr.Strange patch will there be changes to vip chest like pc? I hope you don’t change it just yet :wink:

I’m not certain what VIP changes you mean. If you are more specific, I might be able to be more helpful.

He’s referring to how VIP chests include all epic+ troops and give 2 epics, 2 traitstones or 1 legendary (or 1 mythic) now along with gold.

This was a change in 2.0 pc.

Side note, not that I think it would influence anything, but if that change were made, I’d be far more interested in getting to VIP 5 myself.

There’s 4 legendary cards I’m still targeting and I really do have rotten luck with Event chest 50 keys :disappointed:

I’ve always treated the vip as a super-event chest as I can still target a specific legendary.
On weeks where I already have the legendary card to mythic I open gem keys for the randomness and runics.

With the change to vip on pc I like the change for traitstones only. :wink:
great for newer players though.

I think this is exactly what the other guy meant and i would agree with that would ruin tasks.

We dont need less and harder tasks to do every day with better rewards…

we need more and easier tasks to do all day long with worse rewards…

I disagree with this sentiment. Let’s consider 2 hypothetical task systems A and B, and see how they impact three different players I’ll call Allen, Barbera, and Calvin.

A = long tasks (20 invades) with modest rewards. Does not cycle.
B = easy tasks (change armor) with low rewards. Does cycle.

Allen = plays GoW 3 times a week, for 30 min to an hour.
Barbera = plays GoW every day, for 90 minutes.
Calvin = quit his job when GoW released, and plays 6-10 hours a day.

Under system A, our three players have the following experience:
Allen chops through his tasks in parallel - finishing all three tasks about once a week. Total rewards = 3 per week.
Barbera finishes about one task a day, on average. Total rewards = 7 per week.
Calvin finishes all three tasks every day. Total rewards = 21 per week.

So Barbera plays about twice as much as Allen, and gets about twice the rewards.
Calvin plays about 4x to 6x as much as Barbera, but gets only 3x the rewards.

This tends to encourage Allen to play a bit more, and gives Calvin diminishing returns for his inhuman efforts.

Under system B, our three players have the following experience:

Allen finishes between 1 and 2 tasks per day he plays. Total rewards = 5 per week.
Barbera finishes 6 tasks per day. Total rewards = 36 per week.
Calvin finishes 40+ tasks per day. Total rewards = 280+ per week.

Now Barbera gets about 7x what Allen gets, and Calvin gets about 8x what Barbera gets. (Calvin gets more than 50x what Allen gets!)

This means that Allen falls impossibly far behind, and Calvin pulls impossibly far ahead. In order to prevent Calvin from breaking the system, rewards need to be so small that Allen gets effectively nothing.

Ideally the economic rewards push both types of extreme players into the center. Calvin always wants more work & more rewards, but giving him what he asks for ultimately throws the system off-balance and makes the game feel too punishing.

1 Like

Far behind/ahead of what exactly? Other players? Every player will always be at a different point of progress no matter how the task system works. New players start playing, longtime players reduce playtime, etc… There are lots of other factors that will affect parallel progress that doesn’t have to do with the number of rewards. Also, shouldn’t players that have more time to play rightfully be advanced farther than those who don’t?

You’ve clearly balanced this new system on the number of rewards. It was mentioned a few times here that some of the appeal of the game is the direction/structure that tasks provide and not necessarily the reward.

I don’t want to speak for anyone but myself here, but I would leverage the more constructive, rotating tasks even if there was no reward. “Win a match with X troops from Y kingdom”, “Win a match with 4 troops sharing the same type/color”, etc… Those encourage me to build different teams, play them against different opponents (PVP, Challenges, etc…), and explore a depth to the game that I’d otherwise ignore. Tasks that are simply “Change Armor” are ridiculous, in my opinion. Hey, I appreciate the free key, but otherwise it doesn’t improve my game experience.

I don’t type any of this expecting you to change what you’re doing, I’m just a bit surprised that you’d move forward with an implementation that players can clearly see is removing part of the appeal of the game. Refreshing the reward system makes sense. Refreshing the tasks and requirements makes sense. But, if possible, perhaps further assess the removal of rotating tasks. If they simply gave no rewards after the first completion each day, they could still serve a purpose.

2 Likes

I love this, and it’s the reason I expanded the linear tasks from level 1-50 to levels 1-150. New players will have a whole lot more guided tasks. I also quadrupled the number of other tasks for rotation that high level players get, with an eye towards more interesting & varied challenge.

1 Like

Thats why i said both but if you only make tasks that are hard cycle theres nothing for us to do, the problem here is that we were getting stuck = having no quests to do, that problem still exists if you make it 3 quests and one that takes ages. It equals the being stuck.

Thats the problem.

Thats why i said please make a daily, a hard one a normal one and a easy one and let the easy one have low rewards, for what i care give 1000 gold. We just need something to keep playing, right now its like someone else said; we do the daily then log out again cause its no longer fun.

1 Like

As it seems to take quite some time to update anything on console with the certification process being what it is. Could we get a sneak peak at the high level tasks? Task/Reward… I sure everyone would greatly appreciate it.

I seem to recall the PC Devs doing a early preview of certain aspects of the game months ago…

This! I agree so much with this. Everything about it.

I think the message is missed. You are judging it on your own merit and credit but the players do not know what it is yet so they are looking at the worst case scenario and are therefore adamant about the change. I recommend at least one spammable task for rewards while the other tasks can be only completed once. The spammable task would need to have poor rewards. Most players want to stive for a reward so only having a one-time daily reward is kinda meh. Even i just login for the daily login bonus sometimes[quote=“Strat, post:58, topic:7155”]
I seem to recall the PC Devs doing a early preview of certain aspects of the game months ago…
[/quote]

They do that with every major update…Would be nice for the xbox version to have that kind of promotion.

1 Like