Changes to PVP teams

Well, I have no clue why the changes happened today. But, the devs have stated for the longest time that they wanted to fix the problem with lack of diversity in PVP. Perhaps, they just came around to agreeing on this as a solution.

There’s no way to know unless the devs pop in to shed more light on the code implementation.

2 Likes

Good luck. It’s been 17 months and people still can only have theories on how GW scores work.
I think the devs work for Mi5 in their spare time. My secret clearance from US government isn’t good enough I guess to have clearance to their scoring system.
Like why even post it if you’re not gonna explain what exactly you changed?
It wouldn’t be the first ninja change we’ve experienced.

4 Likes

Yea, I won’t hold my breath for more info. I’ll just enjoy being liberated from monotony. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Calling that “strategy” might be a bit too much, it was a mild exploit as best. It’s a “waiting for gold” simulator, with almost zero chance of losing. As Ashasekayi said, if you want to do that, you still can, just less effective.

Also, I already look at all sides in my post. You can’t just pick one part you don’t agree with and discard the rest.

It’s you who is misunderstood here. By saying “more challenging”, I mean less Firebomb farming method. And by “putting effort”, I mean building a suitable team instead of picking whatever troops available (4x Plesant) and win anyway because Firebombs all destory themselves.

I already said both Ranked 3-trophy and first 1 trophy Causal is still a thing with or without Firebomb. You might get a bit of one-track mind, so you didn’t see that.

You agree with other players that free players is toxic, that’s was I was disagreeing with.

The term “pay to win” is a pretty muddy buzzword at this point. So if anyone is using that as an offending word to you, paid no mind and don’t feel offended.

In broad definition, Gems of War is not a pay-to-win game, except the Learderboard part. It requires both effort and resources. You can’t grind for several hours if you don’t have sigils, and you can’t get high score if you don’t have solid gameplay strategy, no matter how many sigils you have either.

1 Like

No, I do not feel anyone that plays the game is toxic, whether they play for free, or use the store to support the game.

I’m sorry if I gave you the impression I find anything wrong with f2p players. I do not. I think everyone should play how they want to, without being shamed, or made to feel bad about their choices, or style of play.

And I love that PVP has more variety now. It’s a great change, and I hope that people find pvp more fun!

1 Like

dear devs, while you’re at it, please make changes to explore too. people are getting traitstones too fast with mindless grinding. i want something more challenging!

1 Like

8 Likes

It’s called Warlord 4. Feel free to explore only on that difficulty.

10 Likes

You’re killing newbies. They need a lot of gold and soul to grow up than compete with you in a few months. farm 4*firebomb is the best way to be stronger.

2 Likes
  • “we are sorry that during 1 or 2 years you had to undergo against the same META again and again whereas the issue was the matchmaking system. We finally fix it.”
  • “with this new matchmaking system, you cannot farm Firebomb teams, which was an issue for the economy of the game”

… are sentences that I will like to read from the devs, better than the 3-lines “quick update” of the OP.

6 Likes

When I first started I needed a lot of gold and souls too but I didn’t have firebombs killing themselves and I managed just fine.

11 Likes

I’m honestly puzzled why there is so much moaning in this thread… or actually, no it’s a forum, this is all that is here, I remember…

When the monarch heard that all cereal grains had run out and his people had no rice to eat, he was deeply upset and asked with great compassion and sincerity, “Why not eat meat paste?”

Greatest… rebuttal…ever. :grinning:
But in all seriousness. Fire Bombs hurt new players cause they don’t learn how to consistently beat more difficult teams.
I remember how frustrating it was at level 500 to feel outmatched by the AI. It’s pretty much what end gamers feel now with Delves at level 400+. The challenge is a good thing and makes the game more interesting.
Too much of anything is bad.
If new players want to farm fire Bombs they still can in casual PvP.
Ranked pvp should be challenging.

3 Likes

I remember a time when changes like these were accompanied by a Sirrian post, explaining in detail the reason, intended effect and impact on players, without glossing anything over. This thread? It feels like somebody is trying to sell a change likely to be perceived controversially as the Best Thing Ever, by withholding half of the story.

I don’t really mind seeing less Fire Bomb teams. I just would have preferred to get shown the fine print, requiring me to eventually figure it out myself makes me question the level of honesty of all future official news.

5 Likes

To be honest, in the last few weeks I’ve seen a lot of posts of people complaining about pvp being too much of the same thing, and fire bomb teams were one of the biggest targets of those posts.

I understand more variety in teams means less of the same thing like Fire Bombs, overall though, I believe that is a good thing for everyone.

I don’t understand all the hate towards Firebomb teams. I’m on XBox and really never saw that many of them. I have never had a situation where there were 3 Firebomb teams to choose from. I might see one once every 5 or 6 battles. Are things that different on PC?

The meta, however, is a different story. I’ve had days back in the divine meta where the only time I didn’t have a divine option is when I saw a Firebomb. As teams are realizing that meta as been replaced I believe we have a brief moment of diversity. I’m not sold yet that his change has created that diversity.

5 Likes

+1
Ps4 here and never seen x 3 firebombs team too since i started play (but had x3 divines several times in the past).

From what i see now it’s some kind of rotation on 3 trophys matches, divines, skulls team (Maw, wrath, mercy, bloodhammer) and the lately born scorpius team (Mb, troll, scorpius, euryali or w/e is called) with rare appearance of strange teams.

Not that i really care, w/e it is in 3 trophy i will fight without bothering scouting ( can add the skulls ones are the most dangerous of the 3 imo).

Btw i dont think there’s any bug about win/loss, firebombs can be quite dangerous at warlord 4 with skulls cascades and their 90 attack (that was 110 att during broken spire week), happened to me too to lose against them.

I dont mind less firebomb teams. Its actially nice all the different teams lately. But i hear people saying they never had the firebomb teams to help them get gold when they were newer, and some are the same ones that threw a fit when they changed the single suicidal Elspeth teams, which were way worse than firebomb.

1 Like

Elspeth teams - due to low team power from the single troop - were always the 1 trophy option, which meant less gold and XP compared to a 3 trophy firebomb team. Personally, back then I only cared about trophies, so I never took on single Elspeth teams and always took the 3 trophy option.

7 Likes