Card redesign difficult for accessibility

GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation. That law does not fool around. Europe got very serious about consumer privacy. Waiting for the US to follow suit but not holding my breath.

5 Likes

Wait did I just find my Guildmaster the very same day I signed up so I could comment? I believe I did. Anyhow, like you, Iā€™m in my 40s, but mid 40s. I canā€™t see the stats unless I have my reading glasses on, and even then, itā€™s iffy for me. Playing way less since the update because my eyes feel strained. It will be an issue for me if they donā€™t end up making some modifications to this update for general accessibility.

3 Likes

Haha, you probably did!

Random screenshot from last week

Iā€™ve been lurking around here for maybe about a year now.

I also have the same problems with my eye sight at 48 and need an option for cards to be pre v7 update. My mate ryan also now gets eye pain from the new colours on the new cards.

6 Likes

An Aussie falls laughing from his chairā€¦

Die Gestaltung der Karte ist wirklich schrecklich. Die GrĆ¶ĆŸe der Angaben ist teilweise zu klein, die Kontraste stimmen nicht mehr. Auch bei der Invasion sind auf der Landkarte statt der rƶmischen Zahlen jetzt Punkte, die kaum zu sehen sind.
Die Entwickler/Designer verschlimmern jedoch schon seit geraumer Zeit die Grafik, dass es vielen keinen SpaƟ mehr macht.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you there. It is painful. Iā€™m over 50, and yeah, my eyesight isnā€™t spectacular these days. But up until now the game has been easy to play. Now? By evening I have a nasty headache and usually nausea also. I too am going to have to make a decision whether to continue to play, and it hurts bc Iā€™m a GM and hate to abandon my guild. I hope the devs will consider a change of some sort.

4 Likes

Hi all, I should have news about how the accessability feedback will be used by end of day tomorrow.

14 Likes

Hi all,

Update regarding the accessability feedback weā€™ve received for 7.0.

We have plans, or have already started implementing some changes in the next game update for the following:

• Increasing font-size for armor and life on the Troop cards
  • Improving colour/contrast on the mana numbers on the Troop cards
  • Improving the contrast on the Life and Armor numbers to avoid readability issues when the numbers are the same colour as the Mana bar behind it.
  • Looking at improving broken armor icon being hard to see due to the transparency
  • Mana orb looking full when itā€™s not

As well as endeavoring to keep contrast and font size more towards the front of our minds during future design.

We are still taking all feedback under consideration but the legibility of the Troop cards has been our priority with the feedback received so far.

Thanks everyone for sharing your feedback for 7.0 so far and for your patience while we work on improving things.

25 Likes

Great news, thanks Kafka!!

1 Like

I guess you missed the 2nd part. The 505 games terms of service that says " From 505 Games Terms of service: " 11. JURISDICTION AND DISPUTES

If you are a resident of the United States, this Agreement and any dispute arising out of or related to it or the Game and/or Service shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California as they apply to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California between California residents, without regard to conflict of law provisions.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget putting the armor/health numbers on the correct side of the troop. There was zero reason to change that after so long.

9 Likes

Ok so, lots of thoughts here.

Thanks, I guess? For acknowledging ourā€¦ feedback? I really wish there was a ā€œsorryā€ in there. This caused a lot of pain and stress for people who already deal with a lot of pain and stress, and who play this game for relief and distraction. Iā€™m glad you noticed and are promising to take steps, but this really shouldnā€™t have happened in the first place.

So yes, thank you for promising to take steps to help us keep playing the game. Weā€™ll see if it helps.

7 Likes

Would love to have an ETA on this. Because Iā€™ve just quit my guild of 3.5 years since I cannot play daily anymore.

7 Likes

The redesign was completely unnecessary and needs to be completely reverted. Iā€™m quite aware this isnā€™t going to happen because the GoW team does not listen to their players, but Iā€™m going to keep saying it anyway.

14 Likes

Thank you for taking these things into consideration.

Yes, there will always be those who hate change, regardless of any actual impact upon them. However, as one of the GMā€™s to a large group of players, and the voice for those in desperate need of additional change, I kindly ask the following changes be considered:

ā€¢Removal of ā€œbannersā€ from troop cards, as this is extremely straining on the eyes for color-blind players, as well as the rest of us. I may be able to adapt to this at some point, but it critical to their continued ability to play the game.
ā€¢RAID Boss & Invasion scoring is literally impossible for color-blind players to read. The background is already charcoal gray, with lettering that appears dark gray as well. Might I suggest a lighter/brighter color for contrast and readability.

A color-blind toggle mode would be AMAZING
I was not aware of how many dedicated players, who have long been with us, spent many hours and many dollars on a game they love to play, have been immensely affected.

I can only imagine the annoyance of constant complaints. We have lost several players due to the change. It is not about an annoyance for them, but the inability to play. I now understand that many already struggled with some of these things, and the overload of layers and colors has rendered them unable to play. They are part of our community as much as anyone and my heart goes out to them.

Any changes that can be made to assist in ease of play would be appreciated far greater than my words can convey.

-JadedHarleyQ

9 Likes

I can understand your perspective, and Iā€™m personally not super upset about the changes and like most of them besides a few things it sounds like theyā€™re going to address. But your comment is inflammatory and not contributing to a civil discussion. Posts like this only cause arguments and tick people off on both sides.

If we all work to maintain a respectful presence, we can more easily have solid and beneficial conversations :blush:

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you think that people with health/vision problems who only want an option in the settings to use the old UI in order to keep playing are ā€œcrybabiesā€ and ā€œpussiesā€. Iā€™m not sure how that would affect you. Itā€™s the devsā€™ choice to try and force a one-size fits all after this debacle, and Iā€™m definitely not taking responsibility for your histrionics over that.

4 Likes

Yes, we could all use more banners, but those are limited by kingdoms and war coin-purchased starter teams. Itā€™s wonderful that you love the grind, also. This particular forum post is regarding accessibility issues with the card update, meaning that those with neurologic and vision issues CANā€™T play. If you want to comment on that topic, awesome, but could you please do so with respect for your fellow players? I donā€™t think itā€™s very kind of you to use the language you did in regards to disabilities that people have little to no control over.

3 Likes

The irony of someone whining about others voicing valid concerns and calling it whiningā€¦

Look, itā€™s great for you that you like the new design. Most donā€™t even hate it but the usability is poorer than it was, and for some people this makes it impossible to play.

Are you unable to empathize with others who may not have the same lived experience as you have?

Some people are born with visual impairments or other health issues that make them unable to physically handle the new design. Some people develop issues later in life.

Poorer eyesight may happen to you at any time. Like passing time may pull our hairline back or give us wrinkles, it can also affect our eyes. And thatā€™s not even the worst thing that players experience that makes them unable to play - but it can easily start affecting you very soon. Unless time has been very unkind to you, youā€™re not a spry young lad of 19 anymore yourself.

11 Likes