Book Recommendations

Oh, believe me, I have. Would you care for a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster, sir? Everything will be fine as long as you know where your towel is.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Yes, I know that’s Hitchhiker’s, but I love those lines.

1 Like

Yes hitchhikers is good also!

I don’t read that much but I really enjoyed Joe Dever’s Lone Wolf series. Still intending to complete my collection :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh god, Lone Wolf was AMAZING! Apparently those books are worth some serious money these days. I ditched mine when I moved out after college and had no room. Makes me so sad :cry:

2 Likes

Yes, and it was horrible (at least on the Dreamcast). Huge loading times, and there was a point where you couldn’t progress if you forgot to pick up an item at a certain part :stuck_out_tongue: (and you weren’t able to go back and get it).

Having said that I LOVE the Dragonriders of Pern series, one of my favourite ones growing up. (I think I managed to read all the ones that were written by Anne McCaffery before she handed it over to her son) Dragonlance was another big one for me, but only the Dragons of… Series. (Autumn Twilight, Winter’s Night, Spring Dawn and Summer’s Flame), and of course all the prequel backstories for all the characters (Flint the King is one of my favourites from those). Strongly suggest finishing the series and going and reading the prequels too :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know why I haven’t read Dragonriders of Pern …

Big fan of Matthew Reilly’s work - all action-y stuff if you’re unfamiliar. I’ve actually met him which was cool.

For that matter I met Terry Prachett once as well, and his work is pure genius of course.

I also have some 101 Star Wars novels. The retconning the Expanded Universe kind of annoyed me…

2 Likes

All of the books are republished here in Germany, hence why I always head to the comic shop once in a while to buy the next book. The shopkeeper already knows me well and tends to greet me with: “Ah, want another lone wolf?”. It’s amazing.

Sounds awesome. Here in the States they’re really hard to find, and they’re like $15-20 each in mediocre condition (and new ones are like $50-$100). Plus I think we only have the first 20 (though I only had the first 12).

an older series that i liked was the – robot adept series by Piers Anthony. sci-fi and fantasy mix. (first is Split Infinity)

incarnations of immortality also by Piers Anthony (first is on a pale horse) - as a side note he also wrote total recall and firefly… just saying :slight_smile:

Wheel of time is a fun one by robert jordan

troy rises as part of a 3 part sci fi by john ringo (Live Free or Die is the first one)_

I really enjoyed this series as well, though it did go off the rails in typical Piers fashion.

I also enjoyed the “Battle Circle” trilogy of his.

did you read the final one? it was released really late… under a velvet cloak about the incarnation of night?

Wait, like 4th battle circle trilogy book? I didn’t even know it existed! :: furiously goes to Google it ::

incarnations :slight_smile: it came out like 15 years later.

1 Like

aaaahhhhh well I did NOT know that! nifty!

A few more in the fantasy genre I’d recommend:

• Ian Irvine (View From The Mirror and Well Of Echoes quartets are dark and wonderful)
  • Terry Goodkind (his extensive and excellent Sword Of Truth saga which spans like 11 books)
  • Trudi Canavan (various trilogies, I particularly liked The Age Of The Five)
  • Tom Lloyd (can’t recall specifics)
  • Sergei Lukyanenko (his excellent Night Watch series, translated from the Russian)

Guy Gavriel Kay is still my favourite… Scott Lynch comes second… until I finish one day writing my own stuff…

2 Likes

‘Let the right one in’ by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Since it doesn’t seem to have been mentioned yet, Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Word of warning though, the complete story is about 10000 pages, with a lot of story threads interacting with each other.

2 Likes

This book was recommended to me by various sources. I appreciate your recommendation here. And I am giving my opinion not as an attack or to say I am the last word on this book. I just wanted to share my humble opinion as a counterpoint to the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of trouble not finishing a book I begin so I have read every word of it. I have to say that I despise the images that stick with me–gruesome, fetid, desecrating humans in dirty toilets, bed wetting, alcoholism, pedophilia; in short, horrible.

The setting in Sweden in the 80s is interesting and the relationship between Oskar and Eli was okay–you certainly feel very sorry for Oskar.

I got sucked in by the vampire lore. But the societal degradation incorporated in the novel is designed for pleasure (for someone, not me) and being fictional is not actionable: it is like hearing of a tragedy in the news that motivates you to help, and then you realize that the heinous, odius tale is just designed to entertain… someone … well … not me.

This is my take and just one person’s opinion on the book. If you disagree that is completely cool.

1 Like

I saw both the Swedish and American versions of the movie. Liked them both!

2 Likes

Yeah, both was good! :slight_smile:

1 Like