Book Recommendations

At least you gave it a shot, Malkav. And at least you liked some things about it. It all comes down to taste. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have another good example of that: I’m about halfway through the third book in the Sword of Shannara trilogy. I know many people love Terry Brooks, and I know the trilogy is a modern classic, and I know it’s influence is far-reaching, but I’ve found it a pretty dull read for the most part. I can’t help but feel like I’m reading an LOTR knock-off and my time would be better spent re-reading that trilogy. It feels very generic, and the trilogy largely feels like I’m reading the same book three times.

I’m very excited to have all these recommendations though! My Audible list just doubled, adding about 20 books (many of which are the first in a series) in the past 2 days! First on the list is the Hyperion Cantos. No clue what’s after that, but I’m ready for some sci-fi after this dull fantasy!

2 Likes

Studs, I completely agree with your view of Terry Brooks’ trilogy. I confess that when I was younger, I really enjoyed the original Shannara triology. But I read Tokien’s epic now and again and find it superior in every way, not to mention that it was the first.

And while I am whining up a storm :sunglasses: Like many of you I read widely in many genres. A couple more reads I did not like, of late: Pure Evil by Jesse Bastide–my review would consist of one word, “Ugh”; and the second is way out of Bastide’s league; that is, Conrad’s dark allegory Heart of Darkness. Although Conrad’s book is a masterwork, I found it caliginous, suffocating, and philosophically disturbing. It was a miserable experience even though I could appreciate the literary pyrotechnics.

Here is a ghost story I do not care for but have read more than once. So I will include one final spooky recommendation for an interesting, quick, and possibly disconsolate read: Henry James’ Turn of the Screw.

“The Turn of the Screw” is an oppressive, suffocating tale where something is most terribly wrong, but the reader is never quite sure of the source of the evil tainting events. There is plenty of evidence of the supernatural; but these points are often counterbalanced by proofs that we are dealing with madness. Is this a ghost story or an account of an insane governess? James’ overweening ambiguity, teasing diversionary tactics and feints never quite allow the reader to fix upon the truth. I will interrupt my brief comments with a quote from Shakespeare’s tragedy. And after reading “The Turn of the Screw” more than once, I still do not know if I should direct these lines to the ghosts or to the governess entombed in a dangerous insanity:

“Angels and ministers of grace defend us!
Be thou a spirit of health or goblin damn’d,
Bring with thee airs from heaven or blasts from hell,
Be thy intents wicked or charitable.”

Although I delight in pulling the puzzles apart that Henry James has woven into this story, it is not a narrative that I enjoy. For me, it is a stifling and tyrannical read. I do so wish the author would answer Hamlet’s lines quoted above as the plot unfolds. But then, perhaps this does not happen by design: you cannot reason with insanity any more than you can reason with a ghost.

;tldr Good heavens what a wall of text. For those that skipped allow me to commiserate with your decision with dance!

1 Like

Try Ian Irvine: http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/A-Shadow-on-the-Glass-Audiobook/B004FTRFWI/ref=a_search_c4_1_8_srImg?qid=1463763800&sr=1-8

That was one of the few of your suggestions that I didn’t add. The Audible recommendations aren’t particularly good. One thing about Audible is that you have to pay even more attention to the reviews since a bad narrator, or a plot that doesn’t work well in audio form, can ruin an otherwise good book.

Worst audiobook I’ve ever listened to was To The Lighthouse. All of the switches in characters and periods of time and stream of consciousness and internal monologues made it horribly confusing. Great read though!

Another popular science fiction title that I reread recently is Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Perhaps my opinion will help you decide whether to place it on your Sci-Fi list.

I am going to make a few comments about it and possibly risk being flamed out of existence by those that love these books. Therefore, before I get started, I just want you to know that if you threaten to 1v1 me IRL, here is a photo of me that I just took on the way to my Kung Fu class:

With that said, I can “safely” continue. I am going to use slight spoilers in my observations.

[spoiler]Warning, rampant emotionalism follows due to egregious disappointment. Any grammatical or spelling errors are deducible solely from the presently occurring and succeeding hissy fit.

My ambivalence toward Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game” is acute. The book truly had so much promise. There are many aspects of the novel that I quite enjoyed. However, in the end, it fell flat in the particulars. I found the subplot surrounding Demosthenes and Locke hardly credible, sketchy, even anorexic.

And the circumstances surrounding the third invasion were feeble and wholly untenable. The mechanics of this whole scenario were discredited by the very rules the author had painstakingly, previously established. Furthermore, our intimate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the characters involved made tacit or inferential communication of their genius to standard pilots ridiculous and confusing.

A bit of clear explanation would possibly have corrected the invasion, but the major subplot involving Valentine and Peter stretched the bounds of credulity to such an extent that it should have been gutted in its entirety. /End Rant[/spoiler]

Rating: I give it two mouse astronauts out of a possible five :mouse2: :mouse2:

I think Ender’s Game is true YA. If you read it as a kid you like it, if not, it doesn’t quite live up. Can’t recommend the rest of the series that highly… And the author is a nut-job.

1 Like

This does seem to be the case. I think that is why it was emotionally unsatisfying: I expected it to be as I remembered it from my youth.

Now let me suggest something on Audible that you might enjoy for a quick read. I have the print version, too. This series, in my opinion, is just as excellent in childhood as when you are an adult.

“Every living thing deserves respect, be it humble or proud, ugly or beautiful.” I just reread the Chronicles of Prydain, an amazing fantasy series by Lloyd Alexander. I am certain that others, as young people, struggled to pronounce Fflewddur Fflam, the spikey-haired bard whose enchanted harp breaks if he “exaggerates” facts, or the name of the beautiful princess Eilonwy of the red-gold hair, who often speaks using similes. Please consider reading the Chronicles if you have not done so.

Has anyone read the dark sword trilogy written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (cover art by Larry Elmore)

Holy crap that series. My dad read it to us when we were very small, and some things never left me. He still likes to quote “crunchings and munchings…” Wow I’ll have to try them again.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got the whole Dark Sword series, pretty good stuff.
I’d compare it with Dave Duncan - A Man Of His Word, solid gripping fantasy.

Read the Lloyd Alexander stuff when I was a kid, also very solid fantasy, if not quite as gripping.
Excellent characters in it though, Gurgi being particularly memorable.

The book trilogy was my dad’s and i read it as a kid, i did not get out much you could say. I also also read the lost swords book series as well.

The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I have all the books lol…

I love book lists!

WOOL - by Hugh Howey. First part of an ongoing (?) series available for direct purchase through the author’s website. It’s pretty magnificent stuff. I don’t want to spoil too much, but this first volume is probably at your local library already.

Riddley Walker - by Russel Hoban. An amazing linguistic achievement. Written in the future after an apocalyptic devastation that left almost nobody able to read & write. The “reconstructed” language system is a bit daunting, but super worthwhile once you get into it.

Gormenghast Series (Titus Groan, Gormenghast, Titus Alone) - An absolutely amazing series. The density & poetry of the language is overwhelming. I own several copies of this book for constant loan - almost NOBODY can get through it. You have been challenged! I suggest just reading a few pages a day. Story doesn’t matter much - it’s all about the incredible language along the way.

1 Like

Another in my top five funniest books - Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. Imagine, if you will the fable of ancient China as interpreted by Terry Pratcett. That’s what this book is like.

1 Like

My favorites are Jim Butchers Dresden Files and Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake and Merry Gentry novels. Simon Green is good as well. I like urban fantasy the most.

2 Likes

just finished both of these series… cant wait to restart Dresden :slight_smile: