Arena Worst Event Ever?

Class trial. Same boring 5 battles each level, chosen from a fixed pack of teams (7-8 of them total?). No variety here.
And rewards are also… crap:
25 gems if you wish not to spend any gems and some class exp, which becomes obsolete once your class hits 100.
more class exp and chaos orb if you’re willing to burn 250 - 400 gems (sometimes 250 isnt enough to get last 1-2 battles).

At least with World Events there are different teams between 2 different World Events. Cant’ say that about class trials… 3 or 4 team repeat between any chosen class trials…

1 Like

So if you went nuts during a 3 day event spent 40 or so hours in arena and completed say 5 full rounds you would only have achieved 1/3 of an imperial deed? lmao

9 Likes

Thanks for remind me that someone actually like the mode OR torturing themselves just to get to see the offers. It’s so easy to pretend these days.

Alright, as long as you’ve got it under control! Best of luck to you :smile:

2 Likes

I get that. The point of my post/math was to re-emphasize the general opinion that the rewards are not on par with the amount of time required to get them. As has been mentioned before, other single player modes are more rewarding for less or equal effort. The only other free (no gem cost) single player mode is vault event. Many argue that vault weekends are on par with arena events, regarding time-commitment and ensuing rewards.

One small tweak would greatly improve the current arena events (again, seen on other posts): Reset rewards to 45 after getting orb. Would this solve the overall problems? No, but it would improve the looping for those that enjoy the game mode. So instead of 3h, 8h, 17h, it would just be 3h per loop. Still time sink but would have a sense of accomplishment/completion after each and not such a steep wall ahead of next one if they are so inclined.

Another simple tweak would be doing what you mentioned in an earlier post: make it a background weekly event. From your calculations, doing 3 daily arena runs would net you 120 weekly writs (+20 diamonds), or 6240/year. Or, if you double down and do 6 runs per day, you could get 180 weekly (+30 diamonds) or 9360/year. This means an imperial deed every 1-2 months. Let’s assume your kingdoms are at level 10. You would need 4 imperial deeds and 70 deeds (4k + 7k = 11k writs) to get each kingdoms to level 15. From this modified weekly arena alone, if would take you 14-21 months (5-8 if all you need are imperial deeds) to get enough for 1 kingdom to level 15. If you’re at 15, it would take you 8-12 months to get the 6 imperial deeds needed (ignoring books for now because they’re ridiculous and best obtained from campaigns) for level 16 on 1 kingdom. This would all be “passive” income for doing 3-6 daily arena runs. So this method would allows players to “passively” get ONE kingdom to level 15, or 16 per year, assuming there’s enough deeds in dailies to cover deed costs. Not awesome, but much more interesting that what it’s at now.

Adding the 179 weekly writs possible from green epic tasks, that’s another 9k, or 9 imperial deeds. So 9k writs + 6-9k writs from modified weekly arena, that’s 15-18k writs a a year. Enough for 15-18 imperial deeds, which is enough for 3 kingdoms from 10-12 every 2 years or 3 kingdoms from 15-16 every year (assuming that enough books and deeds are earned that crafting them is not necessary). I’m ignoring all kingdom levels above 16 because ridiculous. And again, while slow, this modified weekly event doesn’t devalue the currency since it’ll be limited time and books. It would still need to be improved, but this small change would solve 4 problems:

1. Weekly background even would not fill up a slot in event rotation, which has been heavily criticized.
  2. Keeping current scaling scoring would mean that while it could still be farmed, there would be a wall to how much could be earned due to time/week.
  3. It would spread out the time sink over several days, meaning even 3 daily runs would serve a purpose beyond seeing what many have labelled as “useless offers”.
  4. Would provide “passive” deeds, diamond and chaos orbs, enough that its nice but not enough that it breaks existing currency. Assuming 2-3 full rounds per week, 1-2h/day investment (which could even be limited like pvp tiers), this would net a yearly 6-9k writs, 1040-1560 diamonds, and 104-156 chaos orbs. Assuming perfect orb luck, that would almost be enough to craft zuul in 1-2 years. Better but not broken.

As I mentioned in my first post, I enjoy this hero-less arena. Is it perfect? No. Is it better/less numbing? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Definitely, especially based on the general feedback I’ve seen on the boards (have barely seen any direct dev interaction on forums so not sure how useful it would be to combine all suggestions into one nicely worded feature request).

3 Likes

Edit: Claiming that Hero Class Event is worse, btw:

25 gems for 20 battles is what I do. In olden days, before the AB, daily tasks often required 15 battles for 10 gems. So I feel Class Events are a little better return in that regard.

I have 7 classes at 100, so every little bit helps towards the others.

And currently on XBox, there are 5 players tied for a Power Orb, with 3 others within striking distance. Arena Event did not have a LB for players to tie. At least not that I’m aware of.

At least the writs can be farmed, as Fleg pointed out.

Hilarious. Well played, devs. I’m sure there will be data that supports players “Like” this event. I am not one of those players. I would say the one day Arena event is not the worst…the three day Arena event is. Followed by the Wednesday Arena event because it is blocked by the Pet Rescue. The Monday Arena event comes in with the :poop: equivalent of a bronze medal.

Edit: 18 minutes later, I finished the 15 battles (had already fought the first 5) for my 20 gems, a 6th person joined the tie, number 7 is 36 battles away from 185, number 8 is 80. Much better investment of time and gems, in my opinion, for those seeking Orbs of Power. Invasion ties require much more coordination and trust.

2 Likes

I was willing to give the Arena event a chance because I don’t judge books by their cover. However, my opinion is the same as most here.

While I like the idea that you have to come up with a unique team strategy every time (as this is a puzzle game) this game mode just takes too long to justify the “rewards”.

I just didn’t have the time to make meaningful progress after getting the achievement because I have work, family and other games.

As for if it is the worst, it’s a toss up for me between this and the Class event. While you can use standard OP teams in Class events, the rewards you get from them are very paltry in comparison and just not worth the effort (or gems to buy enough sigils). I spend the same amount of time grinding PVP for Class Exp and get more out of it.

Of course, I’m probably just not the target audience (like treasure hunt for most people). Everyday I login, work on some of the grinding that needs to be done, and then go do more important things in my life.

3 Likes

Oh, I see my orc is showing here! :laughing:

I did forget to mention it. I had this whole section planned about comparing it to Bounty and gnome weekend, two events I’ve seen others compare it to, but when the post got long I forgot.

But if I were ranking events, best to worst, with short blurbs why:

1. Gnome Weekend —
  • HUGE rewards for time spent, pity-timer keys now guarantee something for time spent, AND it’s individual so completely optional (re: skippable if I don’t want to play)
  1. Guild Wars —
  • Great rewards at the top (where I am), and easily the hardest content in the game. I like the methodical stuff, but it does stress me out that I have to do well. The pressure makes it less fun than gnome-genocide.
  1. Bounty —
  • Great rewards but at a very boring cost. Used to be one of my favorite modes, in midgame (so it remains worthy of the #3 spot), but now at endgame fighting the Level 20 fight over and over is so mind-numbing that now I actually use these sigils as an opportunity to grind class XP just as an excuse to bring a doomed weapon in.
  1. Weekly Troop Bonuses (lol) —
  • Not really an event? The line is grey. But maybe just because I am in my cave, so my darkvision has no color. But anyway, I generally ignore these, but it’s basically free stuff at no cost — 400 extra gold per battle this gnome weekend, which will be nice :muscle:

4 for realz) Tower of Doom —

I like what this has brought to the game, and the teamwork aspect is fun, though it could definitely be improved (particularly by making it easier to communicate within the game’s framework).

1. Campaign Tasks/Adventure Boards/Dungeons (lolz again) —
  • Also not events? But they’re here for a certain time window and I like having easy checklists to check (though I do wish some of the tasks in the Campaigns would actually take awhile to complete, as I’ve written elsewhere. I kill 44 daemons for breakfast — make it 666 if you want to give me a weekly challenge).

5 for real-zies) Weekend Faction Release and New Legendary/Mythic drop Fridays/Mondays, respectively—

• I love the new content. Look forward to it every month. A weekend is a better sigil distribution than a Tuesday.
  1. Arena of Valor —
  • See Above — and also keep in mind that the “farmable” (LOL) rewards are at least somewhat unique : no other place to dig for writs, and a decent amount of diamonds similar to a day at the dungeon. This adds a decent amount to the valuation, in my mind.
  1. Tuesday Faction Assaults / Wednesday Pet Rescues —
  • For the first, I like the chaos shards and gold I get, but the time investment is a significant drawback. I never use gems to full-clear anything, but I like that the option is there.

• For the second, I like getting guaranteed pets on a rotation, but I don’t like being unable to trigger pets for the rest of the day. So both of these modes have pros and cons.

1. Class Trials —
  • VERY boring. Never used to be worth it. Only above the other things listed because this is now the easiest way to get Power Orbs (thanks, people who tied with me for the Barbarian Trial last week :heart:).
  1. Invasions —
  • Toppling towers was always more fun to me than fighting Zuul. And there is no deathclock slowly, inexorably ticking down, just waiting to insta-kill you at random. Still really boring, though — One-Team-Fits-All
  1. Raids —
  • Same feedback as Tower-Toppling, but worse because I don’t like fighting Zuul when he poses a real risk the way towers don’t.
  1. World Events —
  • By and large, these are awful. Straight-up bad.

• The scoring is almost always weird for no reason,

• the UI shakiness has bothered my eyes,

• there is little to no in-game explanation of how to score (let alone how best to score),

• and all the medals we’ve seen so far just amount to YoU Haz MoAr StaTs NaooW, RoIght?!? HaZ FuN!!!, which is anything but fun to me. If I get more skull/spell damage for some thematic reason, great. But having insta-win badges on is no fun, and so until something more interesting shows up (like Medal of The Flood: Gain 4 to all stats when you match Blue gems in your current battle), I’m resigned only to do these for my guildmates’ sakes.

• Also there is very little new content here. Medals of no difference are not new content. I don’t think taking 1-2 Medal of Seasons home a week feels all that rewarding, either.

Did I remember them all? There are too many, Warmaster, but I did my best to remember For the Horde :muscle::smiling_face:

10 Likes

I completed 1 round of rewards because I somewhat enjoy the reworked Arena. I didn’t really need more chaos orbs. I mainly did it to see if I could stomach an extended grind .

I don’t expect I’ll be doing that again during a 1-day event. Maybe a weekend event, but I doubt I’ll ever play enough to go past 1 round of rewards.

3 Likes

I LOVE your post!!

1 Like

I am really starting to question if the devs really play their own game anymore. Their are so many strange, or bad if you will, decisions being made .
As the latest example; is their one single person that think the current (old) arena recruit system is good? Im sure their is someone who likes this lottery based system more then the alternativ of letting us choose freely from 1 of each rarity, but anything else then the vast minority?

In my head i picture the devs sitting together playing the latest build, taking notes and discussing what would be a fun change, how to implement it etc. Etc. I know nothing about game development but even through my romantic filter their is no way, NO way, this “revamp”was made by anyone actually playing the game and trying to make it more fun. Has anyone of them tried to get even the first orb AND having fun doing it, i say It again, no way.

9 Likes

NES Monopoly!! I can still hear the music and sound effects. Nice nostalgia ride - back THIRTY years!!!

Noooooo, you’re playing into their haaaaands… :wink:

3 Likes

I’m still in the plotting part of my next two books and only spend part of the day writing, but as I shift to mostly writing for “Hot Nights and Cold Wars” and “Triple Apocalypse” my spirits should be high enough to cope better with Arena.

I live my life as a set of todo lists, so this game taps into my life’s focus around feelings of progress. If I don’t feel like I’m “winning” enough, then I feel bad. Brains don’t distinguish well between games and reality. So, if the “winning” comes from the game, or progress in life those are both beneficial.

If the “winning” feeling from progress goes the other direction then it can lead to a negative spiral and affect moods. When devs changed some code and win rates dropped from 90%+ to 50% a long time ago, that was a mood crusher.

Games and writing are both a chase of the experience of “flow,” like when you’re “in the zone.”

Since I’ve already shared my thoughts elsewhere, heres the tl;dr:

I think the ideas of “novelty mode that you dive in for a change of pace and said change of pace comes from the gameplay more oriented on back and forth and being forced to work around troops you might not otherwise use, thus being slower and more methodical” and “event you are meant to grind multiple times to get any sort of ‘significant’ rewards out of and thus want to optimize and probably insta-pick some singularly powerful troops every time they appear, maybe even going as far to retire ‘bad’ drafts instantly” are fundamentally incompatible ideas that are just going to cause more frustration for most people just wanting to get the rewards and erode the novelty for people that actually enjoy it, as well as detracting from the overall experience of everyone in between. I’d love to hear the designer’s thoughts behind this, not just on reward design, but on the concept as a whole.

11 Likes

Here is something that might help:
Given you need 1000 writs to get 1 ID, I think you need over 1 million writs to get enought ID’s for all the kingdoms to Level 20
So feel free to skip the time/effort investment to get 60 writs knowing that it does not progress you meaningful towards a goal :slight_smile: (but also :frowning:)

3 Likes

I really, really want to do know if the devs ACTUALLY are aware of these numbers.

1 Like

Technical curiosity: if the kingdom still ascended? Requirements still met or back to previous level reqs?

We’ve had a guildie with an unresolved technical glitch for more than a year (he’s given up on support), preventing him from upgrading a kingdom, so curious how this is programmed.

:pray: :vulcan_salute:

Its a Vault troop, leveling it to level 20 won’t give any kind of Kingdom progress.

4 Likes

Thanks.
:pray: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like