About those wisps

We are all in agreement that wisp is ridic OP and needs a nerf. Not sure why the devs have not addressed it yet. The consensus that the devs don’t play the game is becoming more of an accurate statement displayed by no action on wisp. It is taking the fun out of gw and pvp and also lessening the strategic aspect of the gameplay.

2 Likes

To be fair, there was a discussion about wisps being a problem in the spoiler thread prior to its release and there were basically two camps with one seeing Empowered as the problem, and one camp seeing the spells charm as the problem.
The Devs did react and changed the troop before its release, but might have focused on the wrong thing.

6 Likes

WE ARE NOT ALL IN AGREEMENT!!! The wisps are fine. I choose to fight wisp teams over the mana drain teams because they are more fun to play against. You are actually able to cast your spells against them, unlike the mana drain teams. Who cares if the AI goes off on a streak once in a while and does a little bit of damage? At least you are still able to cast your own spells and have fun.

2 Likes

Clearly…

I think you’re in a minority here with that view. They’re not unbeatable, but they are objectively overpowered and do far too much for that cost. I’d like to see them tweaked down a little and see how they still play…

8 Likes

Wisps makes tension in a match. Every game needs tension. It also taste better to win when tension is around. Wisp are one of those few troops that makes tension, much needed!! High five Arturo!

1 Like

Really they do.Yes,no one deny the tension that Wisps bring,just like these days we struggled against devour,mana drain,even the original W4 PVP.While this time ,the way bringing tension is just much too simple and crude,which feels like coin games.Maybe we should give some boss 1k attack and 1k life ,enough exciteing the battle could be then.Yes,to preserve the fairness,we everyone use new troops like this in PVP,which are just common cards. Isn’t it fun ? Could it be ? The answer only belongs to those still in the game then.

Many disagree, hence the tension here. Some players don’t open GoW for brain-taxing adrenaline-pumping strategic labour. Some players open it on the train to casually kill time and improve their resources, or meet their guild dues.

GoW from an early stages teaches players to win and build their collections. It’s free to play so the currency spent is time. Spending it to gain nothing can be frustrating. If you lose because the enemy was stronger than you are yet, or you played a bad hand or made bad decisions, then you can learn or you can build and get better. If you lose because of pure RNG and there’s no way around it, why bother coming back.

18 Likes

If you really want a casual game, you should consider playing bejeweled or maybe even treasure hunt. It’s called Gems of WAR. Matches should be intense otherwise why bother.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your rather patronising opinion. Not everyone feels the same as you.

10 Likes

the game does has casual tag on steam. have that removed and you might repel us casual peasants from playing the game.
recent reviews had been red mostly. that’s what you have for having too many casuals play this competitive war game.

3 Likes

Hardcore players enjoy difficult games because those require skill to master. Double wisp teams have zero counterplay available outside of team makeup (which Guild Wars highly restrict if you want to score high). Because regular troops do not start with full mana, and wisp teams require at most 1 match to fill one or both wisps, there is a low probability for the player to act before the wisp loops get to fire.

Gamers who like to think about how they play their game would like options that are in their control. Should I match this skull or fill up this troop’s mana instead? With wisp teams, once you see a board that has two purple matches and there’s no way for you to deny both on the first turn, you know it’s gonna be bad. That’s not what casual players want, and definitely not what hardcore players want.

The same situation existed with Mab and Famine. Once the game gives the opponent a four-match and freezes your troops, you no longer have an option of clearing out all future 4-5 matches since you will lose the turn anyway, allowing the opponent to collect all further 4-5 matches and giving additional freezes. Famine was more obnoxious when it had 20 mana cost, which Rangagord filled up effortlessly. Once Famine is filled and you have no mana drain ready to fire, you know the next turn you will lose all mana and one troop. In the past you can out play the opponent by forcing skull matches, but that too has become unavailable when the AI got altered. Famine feels fine currently. Mab still gives those games where retreat is the only option. One suggested nerf to freeze that makes a lot of sense and has strategic value is to allow troops to break out of freeze when they complete a 4-5 match.

6 Likes

This “competitve war game”… LOL

• you play against an AI.
  • you can scout the team and choose your team according to.
  • PVP leaderboard is a pure grinding contest.

How can some players can consider GoW as a “competitive war game”?

8 Likes

You forgot to mention, that Wisp can target stealthy troops…just targeted my Desdaemona.

I like competitive. Im probably 1 of the most competitive minded here (not the same as grinding!). Butt against wisps it feels like you are either subject to a dice roll or a timer. If they match 1 purple or red it can be over. And half of the times even turn 1. That has nothing to do with difficulty but with rng

3 Likes

It seems pretty clear to me that most players are looking for a deep, casual game. I think that’s very different from a “hardcore” or even the new “midcore” term. It’s also very hard to pull off since it’s seemingly oxy moronic.

1 Like

Wisp wasn’t so bad when AI would take skull matches. Taking Magic link away might be enough or add troops that counter charm. You only get 2 turns before Wisp destroys your team.

Edit: Was thinking Leshy was a counter to Wisp, but after testing he isn’t since he does not entangle himself, Wisp can not charm a troop that is entangled, it will always charm Leshy

1 Like

That’s true.When I search for something against Wisps, I regret for unlocking its traits. In fact, to reduce the damage Wisps bring , we even don’t level up the statue of attack during the Guild War.

@Saltypatra can we get an opinion of the devs about this. Is this troop considered fine or is it a candidate for a rework?

I can give you at least her opinion…

1 Like

Well we can take away the ‘fast’ trait :wink: would solve a lot