3.5 update preview screenshots (part 1)

Yeah. Also, there is a 3rd type of game you didn’t mention: The kind where you buy the main game and it’s updated, but doesn’t change much, overall. These updates usually just have things like bug fixes and small quality of life improvements. Also, sometimes, these games will be out awhile and will release DLC that expands upon what you originally bought, but isn’t a full sequel, is optional, and doesn’t “take away” the original game you bought.

Honestly, that’s the kind of modern game development I love (when done right). Because it brings both of your other examples together, in a hybrid form. You still get the game you want, but unlike the old days, you can now get some of the bugs and glitches ironed out instead of having to just “deal” with them. And, sometimes, you can even buy extras (DLC expansions) to “tide you over” until a sequel, or another game you like that you’re waiting to release. In my opinion, this is modern game development, at its finest. Again, when done right.

Games of the old days can fall short a bit, in comparison to these “hybrid” games we can now do. Sadly, though, because of the existence of those hybrids, it makes games like Gems bittersweet. Part of you goes: “Great, in this day and age, Gems can, theoretically, live forever.” But, do to wants and needs outside any one players or probably even devs control, that game you started playing in 2016, may not be the same game in 2018, even though it has the same name. And, yeah, that can be good or bad, but either way, like you said, you can’t “go back” like you can in the other examples, and that is the part that saddens me greatly.

You see, my voice on this forum was never to “kill off” this New UI/New Style version of the game, it has a right to exist for those who love it, just like any other game. I just wish I could play the game I fell in love with as well, you know? In a purely, logical, on paper, way of thinking, that sounds fair, in my opinion.

4 Likes

I completely agree. It’s weird to be given a product that every time it adds something great. Something else that was great is removed from the equation.
To name a few:

• We were given 4x but legendary tasks had gems removed.
  • They added dungeons/crafting and replaced some standard tasks with crafting material.
  • They added raids/invasions but removed weekly Guild Wars.
  • Even something like pets…pet gnomes added came at the cost of treasure gnome drop rates. I don’t mind it because I still need pets. But will be annoyed when I have them all to Mythic. Or when Soul gnomes are introduced.

So now every update is bittersweet. Everything being added looks exciting. But at what cost and what bugs will 3.5 cause? It certainly spoils the excitement having experienced this rodeo for a year and half now.

7 Likes

One of my favorite things about this game is that they are always introducing new stuff. Not the same as it was before? Good, that keeps it interesting.

I’m also probably the least nostalgic person I know, so take this for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

GoW is a F2P. A F2P with no update and no new feature is doom to failure.
It also has a publisher which surely pushes the game to get it more well-known/bigger.

And there is nothing that you could do in GoW 3.0 that you cannot do in GoW 3.4…

I just wish they would take a breath and postpone the next update in order to fix ALL the current bugs first before introducing a bunch of new ones.

2 Likes

I cannot do GW every week, hence I cannot ascend my GW troops like I could before.
I cannot finish the snotstone events like I could before since they need like twice the time now, hence me not finishing anymore.
And soon I will not be able to upgrade my kingdoms like I used to until now…

Exactly that. I play another online game in which there is a patch every week (bigger international game, but not super-big) and they only do a content patch every now and then - and then it’s just new stuff, but no new mechanics - and all the other weeks are just bugfixes. I really like that.
However, as established before, the devs have no say in these matters and are on a tight schedule dictated by Microsoft, Sony and so on. It’s not really the devs doing this, they are being forced to do it.

3 Likes

Well, hey, I never said don’t add anything new, but did we really have to go this direction? For years, we had no use sigils/buy sigil events, not Gems shops, no putting weekly troops and weapons beyond a Gem pay wall, etc.

I find it ironic that we get less Gems from things like Guild Tasks, but have more ways than ever to spend it. And, also, that things like orbs, which are most beneficial to lower level players, are one of the hardest things to attain for said players. Seemed like some flawed logic to me.

And, as for as Raids and Invasions go, they could have still added them, but why structure them like this? You could have made a GW-esque game with them, you didn’t have to do sigils. Also, Bounty, someone had a cool idea for that awhile back. It was kind of like the Vault event, but you hunt a “Bounty” troop all over the game modes and kill them for points to collect rewards. I think that could have been interesting.

I’m not opposed to change here, just things that: A) make sense, B) aren’t blatant cash grabs, and C) have some creativity. I mean, look at the Snotstone Events when they came out: Boosts to troops, different tasks to get stones for different rewards, I loved that. It was creative, it was fun. And it’s great game development. It made me want to throw money at the game, and I did. And, like another person said, it felt more like donating (in a good way). I felt like I was giving money to help a game that I love to grow and be better.

The way the game is now? It feels like a bloody shake down. Like I’m being led down a dark alley and then told by guys that they want “protection” money, or they’ll beat my face in. Now, one might say: “Well, Jon, a lot of F2P games run that way.” Alright, that’s fair, but Gems never did. And, if this is what it looks like when a publisher has “faith” in a game and wants it to get “bigger and better” then I don’t want part in supporting that.

So, I stopped buying almost everything, outside of some sales (mostly Guild Keys, as that’s more about helping my Guildmates than this current version of Gems). And, see, some might say: “Well, Jon, you probably stopped buying because you’re an end game player.” Actually, no. Every week I bought something. Whether it was an old weapon I didn’t have, Path of Glory, A daily pack like Gems, something. But, around the time of the Gem Nerf to tasks and the introduction of the New UI, I slowed down, a lot. And, once I saw all these new game “modes” were glorified P2W energy systems, I stopped buying anything but cheap sales, and even then, I don’t go nuts.

So, currently, this is where I’m at: I still find some joy in this game, therefore I still play. But, I’ve long since lost a great love for it. And, like that one guy said on here, eventually there will be an update where I throw my hands in the air and say “I’m done.” I just hope it’s not 3.5

11 Likes

they dont care lol. just figure we will get over it sooner or later :unamused:

1 Like

get over it? im still not over them changing the original troop borders from 3 yrs ago xD

5 Likes

I’m not over the New UI and Gem Nerf either. I bring it up whenever I feel it’s valid (which is a lot. Haha). I don’t “get over” things I’m passionate about, very easily. And, if I do ever “get over” all this stuff, it will be because I finally had enough, quit the game, and you all will probably never hear from me, again. Until then, I’m still here and don’t plan on shutting up any time soon. Haha.

2 Likes

OMG I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO SAY THIS.

I called it! (I get to collect $5 in winnings!)

3 Likes

So i guess you’re borderline crazy?

3 Likes

If they want in this direction is surely because they have to (publisher and/or a new business plan). My assumption is that the 3 first years were there to test if the game can attract players and survive.Then, publishers gave the green light to continue and maybe to give more funds to develop more this game. But it also means that they would have to get more money by month (-> gem sinks). But it’s only my assumption :wink: .

Compared to other F2P games that I tried, GoW was lacking different game modes/events. Adding some gem sinks to make profits is not a bad idea as it’s optional and rewards are not that great.
So, one stone, two birds.

The events could be better and it could be nice to have some tweaks (difficulty in Raid Boss at high level, the end-of-battle rewards, the horrible design “let’s farm the same battles, 50 times” of Bounty event,etc.).

Devs said that they kept only the popular ones.

That’s the issue with the old system. Players donated because they like the game and not because they need something in-game. I don’t have any data of course, but it is the same argument that I often read on this forum :stuck_out_tongue: .
If devs want to go further with their game, they need surely more than a “let’s hope players will be kind with us”.

ofc im crazy im the highest level in the game :grin:

2 Likes

Fair point, and I can only speak for myself here, but once it felt like I “needed” to start throwing money in, in a lot of cases just to “keep up”, then that’s when I stopped. I can’t deny that the publisher and devs need to do whatever they feel is best, but I need to do what I feel is best as well. And, for me, that was to (pretty much) stop paying money to something I don’t (fully) support.

I’ve always been the type to praise or criticize with my words and wallet, best I can. I like a TV show? I watch it as it airs (if possible) and buy the DVD or blu-ray or whatever. I don’t like a movie? I don’t pay to go see it at the theater and I don’t buy it for my home collection.

This idea also works when I do give something a “fair shake” that I’m unsure of, like Gems. Truth be told, Match 3 games aren’t usually my thing. Its partly why I don’t like TH, reminds me too much of Bejeweled, which I don’t care for. But, I saw the troops and the lore and the cool spells and got “hooked”. I even loved this game enough to support it with my money and to tell friends and family about it.

But, this isn’t that Game, anymore, and that’s for the worse, in my opinion. It’s why I don’t buy things regularly anymore and it’s why I don’t recommend it to anyone, anymore. Because, I feel the game I once loved is basically gone.

Now, this “new” game, do I like it? Sure. But, to me, this Gems is just another F2P game, not thee F2P game, if that makes any sense. I felt for a long time, that this game was what put other F2P games to shame… I don’t feel that way anymore. I feel this current Gems is just like the rest of them.

Now, back to the point of the publishers and devs: do I blame them for making a game that keeps them afloat and keeps their families fed? No. And, tomorrow, will I start shaking my fist at the Heavens while I come on here and cuss out all the devs? Again, no. I’m not a lunatic. But, I also can’t just sit here in silence either.

We all come here to share our thoughts and feels in hopes of something better, we just don’t all agree on what that “better” is. And, that’s fine, it’s okay. Because, most of us can get along well enough where it’s not an issue. We can debate and yet be friendly (for the most part) and I appreciate that.

Because, whether I like where the game is going or not, I believe that those that don’t agree with me, have just as much of a right to express their thoughts and feelings, as I do mine. And, I do hope, that someday, this game can be something all (or at least most of us) can look at with pride.

And maybe, right now, the commenter above or below me does look at this game that way, in its current state, I’m just sorry to say that haven’t, in quite awhile. But, who knows? Things can change.

4 Likes

This topic is about a preview of the next patch and the disucssion derailed on the “I don’t like the new contents since 3.0”, which is always the same discussion.
I think it’s a little bit sad that it’s the only thing that some players (not you particularly) have to say, wheras devs announced that we will get a tree skill for the Hero and weapon enchantments…

I still don’t understand why players care so much about the gem sinks… Just ignore them. What’s the problem with that? It’s not necessary to participate to everything in the game.

4 Likes

Maybe he just didn’t like that so many inhabitants of Krystara got framed without committing a crime? :smirk:

3 Likes

Found this on facebook, another 3.5 sneak peek of kingdom power

IMG_9040

4 Likes

I think I may have started that, but I still think it’s related because it’s an escalating curve.
As such, I feel like bringing these old things up is valid as this escalation of what older players have to endure in terms of game-changing things gets progressively more “demanding” of us. That might be a bad way of phrasing it, so lemme get a bit more in-depth.

1. First was the UI change. This was, in itself, purely a graphic thing. That it caused so much health issues was not intended - all those issues aside, it didn’t change at all what the game offered in terms of gameplay.
  2. The introduction of Gnomes, Raids and Invasions, as well as orbs. This, essentially, added variety, both in events (GW substraction) and also in the way we can enhance what is already there with the help of all the orbs. Pets also fall into that category, as well as - in retrospect - the Soulforge. Orbs can’t do anything you couldn’t do before.
  3. Doomskulls happened, which didn’t quite change gameplay itself, but are an addition that cannot be avoided by those who don’t like it (unlike raid/invasions/pets, which you can just decide to ignore).
  4. Now, this escalated into a massive change - the mechanics of how kingdoms are leveled and how hero weapons work. All gem sink discussion aside, this is something that does change things in a huge amount. And while we don’t quite know yet how mandatory it will be (as in, how mandatory it will be to work on the hero weapons and use the hero to do good in GW), the kingdom thing alone is a massive overhaul that changes a huge part of the game.

Basically, I am not complaining about the gem sinks or anything. I am not complaining about a single update in particular, but the fact that this is a progressive curve towards a game that is nothing like the game I started playing almost a year ago. I, too, like new content. I think the pets, gnomes, soulforge and vault are good additions. I also think that raid and invasion are acceptable because they are so optional since orbs are an optional thing I don’t need to have since I can unlock everything in other ways. I think they suck, but hey, I don’t have to do them (and indeed don’t).
What I don’t like are game mechanic changes like doomskulls or what is coming up now.
And what I like even less is that this escalating curve basically tells me that it will only become worse and worse until nothing remains of what I once liked so much about the game.

I stopped spending money with raid/invasion because I don’t support money sinks in any game. And just like @JonathanStriker I now feel like I am only waiting for the final nail in the coffin at this point where GoW has lost so many of its former features that it’s just not the game I want to play anymore.

So, tl;dr: I brought up the old updates specifically because they are, for me, related to the new updates. And every single one looks worse than the last. (Though pets are awesome. Too bad about Doomskulls being in the same update as pets, otherwise I would have loved the last update.)

1 Like

Would like to point out, for all those complaining about new players being hit hardest.

They wont be. For them, they dont know any different. New players use their Hero more than any other group, I believe still more than end game which is where it picks up again, so the weapon changes, and skill tree and all of that, will actually work out better for them, as they will be using it already.

The kingdom changes have already been explained why. To power up a kingdom at the moment, there is no set task on what to do, or get, to increase the power of a kingdom. We know, because we have played for many many moons, and so know the values of things. To new players, or mid game players, there is 0 indication. What is changing, is saying, Do these few things, and you will level it up. Thats all that has changed there from what has been explained so far.

At the end of the day, the people most effected by this, are mid to end game players. Because it is a change to what we are used to. It is in essence a quality of life update, that makes it easier for people going forward. But as it is change, it will hit a hard resistance. Even if it is easier in the long run.

4 Likes