100 things you wish you knew about Gems of War [DONE]

How about the fact that the game isnt nearly as P2W as it looks at first glance, some friends of mine were fooled which ended in nobody in our circle trying the game. I would have started playing years ago if they didn’t convince me it was P2W.

That and the guaranteed acquisition of War and Peace which can(with the help of 2 humility) help create a decent speed clearing team extremely early on.

Edit: Oh, and what mastery combinations lead to decent weapon unlocks! also possibly joining global 001 to engage with a decent portion of the player base.

What magic is for ! Its nowhere described and was very confusing for me at the beginning🍌

4 Likes

Btw, I disagree about the glory = not being used to buy glory chests.

I personally get a lot more things I need out of the glory chests now- especially since now I’m working on those that started out as ultra-rare - to ascend.

But then again, I’m nothing like the regular player. I don’t care for upping my kingdoms to 10th level at the moment, rather get a ton of souls and gold to up my troops so I can get lots of tribute each day.

Its the traitstones I wish were easier to come by. I’ve been farming for 4 beast for over three days now… Have 2 so far… (goblin team)

1 Like

I also disagree about not buying glory chests. After buying a single copy of every reward troop for that week a new player will get more stuff from a glory chests.
And I, as an end game player, don’t want to buy chests after I got the reward troop to mythic. And no point to save up glory either I’ll get it next week anyway.

1 Like
  • PvP does not involve another actual player, but merely an AI-controlled defense team.

• Goblins are an easy starter team composition. (Knight Coronet is a good starter troop in general.)

• When leveling kingdoms, level them all to 5 (or 6) before targeting the Magic Kingdoms up to 10.

• Your Hero will level up regardless of him actually being in your team.

• You do not gain experience from defending.

• Increase your Masteries evenly to more easily unlock Weapons.

• Also, only Hero leveling counts towards Mastery weapon unlocks.

And here’s the single most important thing a newbie can possibly be taught in the entirety of the game.

• The AI is wholly incapable of cheating or rigging the game in any possible way that could be deemed as “cheating” by even the most stickler of rule-sharks. Like, seriously. There’s no possible way for the AI to abuse an advantage that the player doesn’t also have at their disposal. …Ever.
8 Likes

why this? i think it should be actually advised otherwise:
“Join channel 1 and ask there, most ppl are friendly and helpful there”

merge that together with adnotation that getting armor early is better, and if not gonna buy dk armor save gems to prioritise buying gem armor first?

thats not a universal advise.

i prefer level them to 1-3 only then go for magic kingdoms. it all depends do you pvp a lot at that moment or do you collect a lot of tributes daily, if u dont pvp at that stage u go for tributes but otherwise hitting magic earlier is much better (they should know there are 2 ways of dealing with kingdom leveling depending on their game style)
also include: unlock all kingdoms first

also my point of wiev for early game glory usage:

• save for only troops/arcane traitstones that you will want to use

honestly i remmember my first few weeks of playing i could not afford every glory bundle to even buy once (i couldnt even get 500 glory/week). might afford buying one bundle per week in totall but that meant for over a month i couldbnt get any arcanes of what id ever want and that is/was horrible. early ppl need to trait SOMETHING (meaning some decent unit that will drive their pvp team) possibly soon if not as soon as possible and telling them to just collect troops for later kingdom power is not so helpful, honestly they gonna go for kingdom power after they pull half of those from random chests anyway, while they should/.could go for pvp much earlier (probably all of you will agree that they should focus leveling their main team as a priority not randomly leveling all new troops simultaneously for more kingdom power, so as kingdom power is lower priority - prioritising extra troops for kingdom power-potential is out of place) plus you are forgetting that now new guild system brings few event keys every week so they can get that collection with minimal effort without spending precious glory.

that is for very early when they are not sure what to do with glory, i assume after they got like ~1k glory per week they will soon learn to be smart enough to know better how to spend it. but this is for those ppl who just started…

Unlock a hero class and level up that class with souls as early as possible, it’s a very strong troop for the first couple of hundred levels. The Necromancer class from the Khetar quest line offers a pretty good class weapon.

id say only warlord + clude + half red banner is worth it at the beginning if at all.
necromancer or sorcerer is acceptable too i suppose but i think its not so effective early game when your magic and mana masteries are really low

but we are suppose to give universal advices not an optional one

• hero is optional, so please include that adnotation to not misslead someone who just pulled khorvash or mab early on to not do something counterproductive

i mean guys, this thread purpose is to let ppl NOT REGRET…

giving half-a**ed advices will only lead to more regrets for many ppl who dont meet the standard you assume.

another idea:

• efficient to do : quests only to get certain troops/class u need > arena > treasure hunt > pvp

The Necromancer one is very effective early game. The one thing that is hard to come by until you get your masteries high enough is area damage, Creeping Death gives you loads of that due to the class color boost, plus two Death Mark on top. In a more general way, class weapons let you break out of the progression limitations imposed by masteries.

[quote=“Annaerith, post:30, topic:15529”]but we are suppose to give universal advices not an optional one

• hero is optional, so please include that adnotation to not misslead
    someone who just pulled khorvash or mab early on to not do something
    counterproductive[/quote]
    I might be wrong, but I had the impression we should name things new(ish) players would find helpful knowing. From my experience, they are often not aware that their hero can be made stronger with souls too, just like other troops. In a reliable way, without the randomness of lucky chest pulls involved. I know I’d definitely regret repeatedly going with my fists into a knife fight, with one huge gun being so readily available in my back yard. :wink:
1 Like

If you were saving up your glory for weekly troop bundles, instead of spending them on glory chests, you could buy the arcanes you want with glory. The weekly troop bundles come with matching arcane traitstones. It may take a while for the right arcanes to show up in a glory bundle, but that would give you plenty of time to save up enough glory.

2 Likes

its not like i disagree completely
classes can be powerful early game too

maybe i misread the topic too but i thought this list should be something to ‘check in’ and ‘obey’ first thing you join gow - like that i think some specific guilde lines should be left with explanation why and when to do so.

so yeah for example say ‘if you have no strong units you can use hero then choose warlord/crude or necro/scythe for one of best combinations and level that chosen class to lv 20’
something like this would be totally ok, in comparison to telling new player (who has no idea) to just do it blindly (i personally dont like hero and did not play it earlo on which i do not regret)

also another idea:

• always use soul generating and/or map generating troop in every team you play - this will give you a lot more resources per time spent so in the end saves your time (even if single fight takes slightly longer)

edit:
finaly found all the things - the bare minimum i think new player should know, that i put in together a while ago:
(some is will be repeat that i already wrote here but here is whole thing together)

it was before they added pirate kingdom

Most people there are doing their best and giving out the best information they have, unfortunately it’s mostly bad advice or outright wrong. Anybody with a good understanding of the game mechanics can lurk the chat and see how awful most of the advice is. I will be directing people to the official forums.

i still disagree, most of advices i see in chat is right, if you consider higher level players
and u can find just as many wrong advices in the forum
in game at least u can see their level and pvp activity that could give a hint about their experience being behind their advices unlike forum where you have no hint other then title of those who have it or their own claims

Don’t level the miner thinking the 100 gold thing is good - not realising the gold cap

2 Likes

I am doing both - actually - (In fact I just bought my bundle Wayfinder 4 times) and still had glory left over to buy another 50 chests.

New bundles - they come with traitstones for first trait…maybe second trait.

Older troops such as goblins, orcs and such are not in bundles so glory chests is where you can get lots of higher level traitstones besides farming.

I could throw a load of salt here, but I won’t, because new players are good and all. I like them. They deserve the best so that they can get the maximum enjoyment out of the game. But I’d like to throw my hat in the ring here.

• No one person knows everything. Except the devs. Everyone is capable of human error and much advice can be taken with a grain of salt
  • Defend teams do worse the longer you keep them. Switch them up regularly
  • Early on, the Leader trait is amazing. If you can, get a troop with Leader (Coronet specifically is amazing), level it, and get AT LEAST the Leader trait
  • End game balance is a lot different than early game balance. Ignore the “Nerf this” threads, unless it is in the off-topic section, about D.va, and you like Overwatch. Then I encourage you to join that discussion. But you don’t need to worry about the troubles of end-game players for a while
  • Most importantly, whatever you do, play at your own pace, don’t go too hard at this for too long, and don’t push yourself too hard or you will most likely get burnt out
1 Like

I wish to know how to use filter better. For example, if i want to find troop which is both human and knight, typing human knight or knight human got no result. Also how to search for troop that ability has poison without showing you troops that has the text “poison” someplace else.
This is probably the biggest headache when trying to find troops for combo especially when i was starting out.

1 Like

I think filter on race is a console only thing. Not sure why pc/mobile is missing it. Unless I just can’t find it.