Ultimate Maw/Mercy Combo Counter-Build

I hope they give devour to more troops and then make a trait specific to anti-devour. It is a good game mechanic that needs to be shared more.

I think it’s an interesting mechanic. But, I surely don’t think they need to add many more devour troops.

I just checked, and Gorgotha doesn’t have Huge. In fact, the only troop I can think of with both Stoneskin and a size trait is Treant. Who isn’t exactly an existential threat when on an opposing team.

I didn’t say it did. I said it reduces the impact of randomness on the outcome, which increases the relative impact of the player’s skill. If the outcome is determined within a handful of turns, then getting lucky or unlucky on those turns matters a great deal. If it takes several times as many turns, then it’s more likely for the streaks to smooth out, and each player to experience lucky or unlucky events. Increasing the number of events, while decreasing the impact of individual events, reduces the relative impact of randomness.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Zhul’kari questline. The battle with 4 Boar Riders. Back then it was 1.0.5. Took me 42 tries to finally beat this team.

How can you possibly think that the card isn’t overpowered when you just won a game in two turns in your video?

You took out two of his troops in a single turn.

That is ridiculous.

My posting was a reply to ForsakenM, who did a reply to my earlier posting (and others) in which I clearly stated my dislike of devour as a mechanic in the game.
Just replace the yada yada part with what I said a few days earlier, and it should make make sense. :yum:

Somewhere in a corner sits Bone Dragon laughing maniacally about the fact that no one is talking anymore about how broken he, his spell and his third trait is.

3 Likes

Bone Dragon is strong but not completely broken… it was quite broken until the recent-ish nerf to its boost ratio… personally I think it’s still a bit too strong, and could do with (1) fewer base skulls generated and/or (2) worse again boost ratio and/or (3) slightly higher mana cost… I think if all of those were done, it’d still be a top end legendary and a threat…

14 mana cost in particularly feels very low as it’s so often charged by Great Maw, when Maw fires and removes a troop, quickly followed by BD cast and Maw rolling through one or two more troops… That’s happening a bit too consistently as a combo and needs softening, so BD should get a mild nerf in the same way as Maw…

The third trait btw I think is fine, it’s easily by-passed with spell damage, and BD has high armour, low life and is vulnerable to true damage… Just my tuppence on this endless debate…

2 Likes

I still think Bone Dragons Frozen Heart is the most annoying trait in the game after Maws.
Now that i have faced several traited Queen Mabs i stand by the point i made back when the previews hit and people lost their cool over what Mabs trait could supposedly do to stall games.
Bone Dragons application of Frozen is by far the most disruptive and fun killing one, much more so than Mabs.

Of course Bone Dragon can be beaten, that is entirely not the point, so can Maw. I don’t need any of them to be nerfed for that. Doesn’t mean they aren’t broken in a fun of gameplay sense.

The thing that makes BD’s trait so annoying is it happens on my turn, and typically ends my turn. With Mab it happens when they match 4+, then on my turn I cure with Mercy and keep going.

Aziris is nice for overtaking BD though. Instead of spawning a ton of skulls (like with my own BD or Sheggra), getting 1 hit in, and turning the board over I get to use precision placement to kill off the defender’s BD one skull match at time. Once it is dead, I cure with mercy and continue on.

Go into the troop menu in the game, select “show all” and sort by amount to see a counter to “mercy/maw” named “spirit fox” along with a few other goodies

I would show a screenshot but don’t know how to post spoilers

1 Like

oooh hey all kinds of new stuff. thanks for the tip.

No problem @Personette

They are not even supposed to be in our troops menu yet.

yeah, that’s a maw counter.

and it’s so pretty! I’m all googly eyed.

1 Like

They aren’t? I didn’t post the screenshots so I figured it was ok

I don’t think he’s saying that you violated any rules. Just that, just because the troops are there, doesn’t mean we’ll get them anytime soon. The Devs have said in the past that they’re testing putting troops in the files earlier to allow some testing. But they haven’t found a way to hide them from the All Troops menu yet.

2 Likes

I would like to believe that that particular troop was designed in direct response to player feedback, it’s good seeing the developers take action with its fan base at heart (just like with the Bat’s nerf turnaround)

There’s a way to do that, and they’ve done it in the past (just don’t assign a troop to any kingdom, and it won’t show up in the troops list; that’s how Rainbow Gorgotha is able to evade listing). I don’t know why they chose not to do so in this instance.