I seriously hate all the Maw/Mercy Combo builds. They are annoying.
That being said, I just came up with a build that will cut through a maw/mercy build like a hot knife through butter.
I played a good 25 rounds against Maw/Mercy builds and won ever single one of them. Usually in under five turns.
Another thing that is cool about this build is that it does not rely on traits and only use one legendary card. So it should work for lower level players too.
Slot 1 - Anointed One - Turns green to red and huge skull damage buff
Slot 2 - Hellcat - Turns selected color to red
Slot 3 - Sheggra - Red to Skulls
Slot 4 - You don’t even need it but I’ll give you some suggestions.
This build is fun to play. Once you fire off hellcat, the combo extra turns that ensue can wipe the board in a single turn.
When going up against Maw/Mercy, the game AI will often have a large number of purple and yellow gems on the board. This is what makes Mercy so dangerous. She convert the purple to yellow, match four or more and this fills up Maw quickly.
So your opening move is always;
- Match any four
- If there is a skull match you have to take it to avoid the chance maw will devour.
- Match purple or Yellow to prevent mercy from getting a match 4 when cast. Wow this is exactly what you need to fill up Hellcat!
This means you priority is already to fill up Hellcat! Often Mercy will cast, leaving it open for you to match 4 yellow. This fills Hellcat, now cast hellcat on Yellow and fill up Anointed One and Sheggra.
You have now taken all purple and yellow off the board, this often leaves a Red match 4 if you cast Anointed One and covert green to red.
Cast Sheggra and no more maw.
The main weakness of this team is “frozen” which can stop you mad combo extra turns. So the build isn’t so good against Mab or Bone Dragon (when in slot 1).
A minor weakness is that this is a skull damage spam build and Gorgotha gives a slight defense, However, once you buff Anointed One a few times, Gorgotha goes down fast.
Good Cards for Slot 4 include;
- Mercy - Use her yourself to initially fill up Hellcat.
- Moloch - Good to stop Maw just in case he fills up.
- Spirit Fox - Good to stop Maw just in case he fills up.
- Dust Devil - Good to put Maw or Gorgotha into Position 4.
- Eternal Flame - Just spam more red.
- Heart of Sheggra - Spam more red and remove frozen.
- Traited Mab - Good to freeze enemy although you won’t really need it.
- Star Gazer - Good to buff anointed one and remove blue from board.
- Hobgoblin - You will fill up anything red in slot 4, free damage with the extra turn.
- Jarl - Spams red but you won’t need it. The Fiery Cloak trait is just fun to watch.
Again, you won’t even need the forth slot, it’s just there to add blood red icing on the cake of ultimate destruction.
Happy Maw Killing