Streaming to illustrate console vs. PC/Mobile differences

Git Gud n00b!

Seriously though that was awesome in a terrifying way, that is how i always envisioned real time pvp.

That is all too common against Justice teams on console. I have a purpose-built Amira team that is all about killing Justice first, at any cost. In GW, I ignore the daily colour if I see a Justice team and use my Amira team no matter what. The one or two times I think I can get away with it, I’ve lost.

1 Like

Not sure i could get it that time with amira the AI been really quick :slight_smile:

1 Like

I assume you still won with your TDS though right?

Yeah of course lol

1 Like

Yeah, maybe not. I use Manticore as well, so there is an extra chance to manadrain and stop the loop. Plus it and Amira are immune to Mab, so I can usually survive a few loops if they get going.

Just watched the video again and you would have easily had Amira up on your first turn (5-match red, then any number of red or purple matches to choose from).

Thanks for tagging me, that video was truly awesome to see. It was a little surprising mainly because the AI seemed to be playing properly, while in the videos @Stan posted there was quite a few “dumb moves” (even against the slider settings). I’m curious if this is just because the AI is a bit fluky (sometimes it follows its settings more closely), or if the player you attacked figured out how to set the sliders “more correctly” to consistently produce these sort of results.

As for specific things I noticed, I wonder if the Mab casts at 1:18 and 1:31 are just because the AI chose to cast a spell, or if it had any “weight” given by the fact that there were enough blue gems on the board for Mab to take an additional turn. I was a little surprised by the Justice cast at 1:37, I would have expected it to take one of the extra move matches first, but I guess that’s just part of the unpredictability.

The only thing that “concerned” me slightly was when the AI took skulls at 2:09. While I understand that the AI doesn’t always take skulls or 4 matches, I was surprised that it took the 3 skulls instead of the 4 skulls. For example, taking blue instead of either skulls or a 4-match in a different colour makes sense, due to it’s different weightings. But once it decides to take something, I would assume it would take the best version of it, so if it chose blue it would take 4 blue rather than 3 (or skulls in this case). The downside is that would have made your match even more devastating for you, but just trying to understand how the AI makes decisions :wink:

2 Likes

Correct slider setting. The AI still does have a random element to the algorithm so theoretical I feel if you could run that board again the results might not be identical to what was recorded, this is unlike the PC.

Happens all the time @Eika mentioned elsewhere that the developers should fix this so it never misses a 4 or 5 match. That argument should be made after playing against it for a week or two.

2 Likes

@beanie42 When i play against this team and get stuck in the loop mab always wait to get enough blue to make her cast then AI match 4x gems then justice continue is loop. The slider doesn’t really matter this is AI patern with this team

3 Likes

Well, I got your point in the end.

1 Like

I think there were some weird interactions going on in that video due to the structure of the team I was using. This Justice team is better balanced and doubtless had the sliders tuned. I’m still thinking about doing another video this weekend with a similar team and I think I’ll be able to demonstrate how this team can go from very good with default settings to VERY good with a little tuning. As a public service, I’ll also demonstrate how easy it is to neutralize it with the right team even when the AI is tuned up.

That one is hard to say. This team will not always wait until Mab can get an extra turn before casting, but when it follows a Justice cast, it often does anyway. Sometimes, the only hope of stopping the loop is for it to get TOO many 4 and 5 blue matches from Justice and be left with only 11 or 12 blues on the board so that the mana burn doesn’t give the AI an extra turn.

1 Like

Thank so for tagging me. Yup I’ve seen those on PS4 too…

So, with BD nerfed (and, by extension, his friend Courage) do you just not see a lot of Guardians in PVP on PC/Mobile?

Most popular ATM is justice/mab or humility/drak. Not that there’s no merit to using the others. Metas are metas because people are sheepishly following trends. With the introduction of new troops come more viable combinations. There’s more than 12 cards but 90% of the player base would disagree.

2 Likes

Basically it is just Courage who is now quite rare after the nerf to him and BD, Justice here and there and Humilty in some Draakulis/Crimson Bat teams.
You don’t see the other three in any capacity worth mentioning.

2 Likes

@Gilgamesh, @Gouki

Thanks. With all the talk of FG/Kerb and double-famine teams in the forum, it sometimes sounds like the Justice/Mab teams never show up on PC/Mobile.

If anyone has any video requests for this weekend, let me know in the next day or two. My tentative plan is to do two things:

1. A second run at a daily task illustration. Hopefully, I get a good mix of tasks on either Saturday or Sunday and can show how I approach them to maximize efficiency and fun. This should be pretty quick - in the 5 to 10 minute range. I know that the devs are talking about overhauling the daily task system before it is released on PC/Mobile, but we don’t know if that will be some tinkering around the edges or a complete reimagining, so hopefully this will be of some interest to people.
  2. @Beanie42’s requested experiment with the Justice team. I’ll use the same tank team against a balanced Valk/Justice/Mab build with AI on default, then I’ll try to break it by setting the sliders to something stupid, then I’ll try to fine tune it to optimum. Once I think I have it pretty well tuned, I’ll switch to my Amira team and see how fast I can kill it. Hopefully 20 minutes for the whole video.
1 Like

I would like to see console GW battles b/c ppl claiming ai acts different than ranked PvP

1 Like

Well, it should act different than ranked PvP, since the AI customization doesn’t work in Guild Wars. But that just makes it easier. :wink:

I know what you mean, though. There are days when it feels like the deck is stacked against me in GW then everything goes back to normal in PvP. In my mind, it’s just another case of recall bias: we care so much about how the gems fall during GW battles that when things go badly, we really notice.

Anyway, I don’t mind streaming my GW battles for a day or two. I’m in a semi-casual guild, so I don’t get quite the level of difficulty that players in the top guilds get. I also don’t go full-on with a 4x colour team most days, so it won’t be an instructional video on how to maximize your GW score.

3 Likes

I have uploaded two videos of me playing through GW battles. I wasn’t live streaming - just using the PS4’s record feature, so there is no commentary, and both videos cut off most of the first battle for whatever reason.

First video is Green Day. I had pretty good success, even though I missed a couple of perfect opportunities to cast FG. I didn’t use an all-green team when I saw one of the many Justice teams and shredded it with my Amira team.

Second video is Yellow Day. I was trying a new team, which worked pretty well. Despite my constant promises to myself that I will always use my Amira team against Justice/Mab, I gambled twice today with my Yellow Team. The first case worked out just fine, but the second one got looping and there was nothing I could do once it finally stopped. Que cera cera.

3 Likes