Server issues (October 10th 2016)?

Yep it worked normal for the last hour or so :slight_smile:

That worked just fine. I’ve been playing for about 90 minutes without any issues, so thanks for fixing this! :smiley:

And everything returns to normal :heart_eyes:

Yeah I’ve been good for a couple hours now.

PVP worked smoothly for me as well.

Not sure what platform you’re developing the DB on but if you’re getting locks/queuing like that - race condition of some kind is where I would first look into.

Or it could be depending on what platform again - row chaining — I can just imaging how much data may be being compared to for some of these long term players.

It could be load as well. I would look to optimize queries and reduce calls. Cache more data and prevent as many real time hits to the DB. Another solution could be to load balance and distribute your DB across multiple machines. I am sure you are already looking these things. One of your devs already hinted at DB optimizations in the last day or two. Since it is happening about 8 or 9 AM US-EST, I am guessing it is IO or load related. (Or if the server is shared with another service… it could be the fault of the other service :slight_smile: … a developer is never done until he / she has blamed someone else first … at least that is how is was done the last place I worked)

1 Like

You know, I feel kinda weird when reading your comments.
This is a free game to play with optional purchases. If you decide to purchase something it is absolutely yours only choice.You pay, you get the item and thats it. Deal is done. I have no idea what makes you think that if you’ve bought something from shop you can feel entitled to more things than what you’ve already got in the transaction.
So let me enlighten you - players that didnt buy a thing in this game have exactly THE SAME right to speak as “buyers”. Also, ppl who didnt “invest” their money into the game care the same about the game as the ones who did (simply because they spend even more time in game to get what can be bought).
Also, players are not in the position to demand any compensations from developers or their 24h informing service. There should be given 2 informations in case of any problems: 1. We know, we are fixing it. and 2. We’ve fixed the problem. You can play normally. And thats it.
Playing this game is not a right, its a priviledge.

9 Likes

@Sirrian if not a secret: what DBMS you use?

I think the relationship between player and developer is a little more nuanced than that but overall I agree with you. I’m a paying player who has spent more on this game than almost any other game I’ve played and I’m an old gamer. I’ve spent the money because I like the game (I’ve been playing since the beginning, about two years now) and want to support the devs as well as enhance the time I choose to spend playing the game and am lucky enough to be able to afford to.

Paying for extra content/resources/etc doesn’t give me any entitlement to have a louder voice in the game nor would I want it to. As you state, what I paid extra for was content (or faster/easier access to content) not influence. For this game to remain healthy and strong, it needs to continue to have a healthy player base, one made up of free and paying customers. If all the non-paying players were to all of a sudden be removed from the game, I suspect GoW would be a ghost town and that would drastically reduce my ability to enjoy playing the game. So I not only enjoy having my non-paying brethren around, they are actually a huge part of what makes this game possible. To me, that makes us equal partners in this experience; one I’m glad to pay a little extra for because I can and I’m willing. Nothing more; nothing less. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We’re on MongoDB

2 Likes

What is mongodb?

its a kind of [quote=“shurikvz, post:210, topic:13567”]
DBMS
[/quote]

let the tech folks speak their linguage

3 Likes

1 Like

I looked it up and there was so many different things it could be, i thing it is software related publishing.

Things seem to be smooth today. Thanks devs.

Agreed … things look clean today. Thanks Devs. I can’t tell you how nice it is to be able to interface with Devs in game. Thanks Sirrian and Nim.

MongoDB is this:

2 Likes

So that is how they make their minecraft mods! I always pronounce json as JASON!

1 Like

Most of us in the industry pronounce it that way.

1 Like