Server issues (October 10th 2016)?

For what it’s worth, I also tried a Ranked PVP match on my PC and the same exact thing happened “Request timed out” with no ability to retry at the victory screen before the rewards screen. Manually closing the game is the only option.

Same here. Trying to get into guild and had to force restart. (mobile)

On a slightly positive note, I had no problem playing PvP this morning for at least half an hour, so servers have been up (it’s now afternoon here). They’re just down again :frowning:
And I guess I’ll have to make sure to reach tier 1 tomorrow morning instead of tonight/tomorrow afternoon.

Hey guys,

We are trying to contact our server provider to look into this.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update, @Nimhain.

And poeple ask how someone can play a game for 16 hours, and you just pulled a 19 hour work day like it was nothing. You are the employee of the month for sure.

1 Like

So I think I’ve finally found the issue… everything seems to be working well right now, but I can’t guarantee that it will continue to do so for the next 8 hours as we wait for the team to get into the office tomorrow morning, and help me fix it.

For the tech folks out there… we’re getting spikes of queueing/locking in our database. That means we may either need some more memory, more CPU resources, or some modifications to the the database indices. While I can SEE this looks like the issue, I’m not a database expert, so I’ll need to wait for the rest of the team to arrive tomorrow morning (about 8 hours from now) to help me confirm this, and to help solve it.

9 Likes

Are you sleeping in the office again tonight so? :beer:

Nope. Sorry, still an issue.

Definately not solved for me. I’m getting the same error again. … :frowning:

Seeing as how I am a database expert :), whichever database product you’re using should have a lock manager process, and a means of reporting statistics on what the lock manager is doing, i.e. which query/update tasks are generating the most locks. It could be all of the factors you mentioned in combination, which translates to “there are too many players for the size of the database”, which in turn means either (a) building a new database, or (b) splitting the current user load in half and running on two servers.

Of course there is also option (c), what I would call the “game show” approach, and retire every player over level 1000 as undefeated champions. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha - let’s not do the gameshow approach!

But, yes, you’re correct… we’ve been getting lots of new players over the past 2 weeks, and the console update seemed to bring another bunch back. The spikes almost exactly coincide with our busiest periods too, which is a pretty clear indication we might need to split some stuff up.

None of that’s too difficult, but I’ll err on the side of caution and leave it to Andrew, our database guy, to do!

6 Likes

Attention please.

All players with their nicks starting with letters A-K and M-Z are asked to immediately log out from the game as their current progress will get lost permanently within the next lag spike. Thank you.

5 Likes

I’m okay with this.

1 Like

So, I have to change my name to Lextra Turn then? Crap. :frowning:

1 Like

Maybe try something with latex?

Okay, so, because I’m impatient, I got a little adventurous and re-indexed the database to help with some slow queries, and it looks (after 20 minutes of monitoring) that I’ve reduced CPU usage by about 40%.

Will this help?
Can’t tell yet, but we haven’t seen a spike since 2:37am (currently 3:11am) apart from 1 minor spike at 2:46am which was within normal tolerance levels

I’m signing off for the evening, and I’ll leave next steps to the morning crew (who are way smarter than me)… they’ll be online in about 7 hours.

fingers crossed for good performance
Here’s a Unicorn & a Rainbow for good luck! :rainbow::unicorn:

22 Likes

You are magician :slight_smile: I can play after 38 hours.

I was just logging on to suggest that the two worst times seem to be 10pm US Central and 7am US Central. The first time period would be right about the time of the daily reset I believe (if my UTC counting is right, my brain is old and tired) and the second of course is first thing in the morning when a lot of the US players might be getting on at the same time.

Working again for time being Sir. You are definitely in the right ballpark.

Keep up the great work folks.