Pity Timer, still in the making?

Oh do you have some data from GoW’s business? Looking forward of your references ;-).

And even if you’re right, I can imagine big whales leaving the game because they spent 1000$ and didn’t get the Mythic…

EDIT: and I just add that: Chasing the Whale: Examining the ethics of free-to-play games

2 Likes

Your lack of knowledge about the industry is not a compelling argument. It’s not my responsibility to solve your ignorance. Go read about the F2P industry.

1 Like

Your lack of argument is pathetic: you just have nothing to prove your point. I read about F2P and nothing clear appears… But it doesn’t matter as apparently you don’t want to discuss…

You’re just lazy, like your arguments. These are really basic realities of F2P games, period. Only one of us is pathetic…

It all points to the same reality: F2P games are kept afloat by a fraction of a percent of users. To the extent a game caters to and takes care of these players, it succeeds. To the extent it tries to be “good to everyone” it fails.

It’s just not realistic to sustain a F2P business on the basis of lots of people spending a little bit of money. The only games that sort of get away with this are the hyper casual games like Candy Crush, and a lot of King’s success is b/c they were early to market and now it’s too crowded to break through the noise. The reality is that most people are cheap and/or poor and if they don’t need to spend much then they won’t spend anything at all. And it’s certainly true that a niche game like Gems can’t run a profitable business based on the Candy Crush model.

3 Likes

Which one is more likely to happen out of Jesus comes down to earth and GoW is getting a Pitty timer?

Answer: Jesus Christ comes and saves us!

1 Like

I didn’t give any arguments… And I was just waiting to know on which references you based your knownledge.

This one is wrong I don’t know where you read it…

0.1% of players…

Some of the links that you provided are based on Swrve who produces 3 reports in 2014, 2015 and 2016:

• all reports are based on only one month of data
  • the Top 10% spenders account for 50% in 2014, 60% in 2015 and 48% in 2016. Do you really think this study is reliable?
  • it’s also said that 50% of the income are coming from the remaining 90% spenders… Can you really ignore 50% of your revenue?
  • only in 2014, they provided that the Top 10% payers (whales?) did in average 7 purchases with an average 11.10$ by purchase so 77.70$ (it seems low)… We are far of the 1000$ that I talked about… We are also far from this study “Top 10% of spenders account for 60% of revenue and have an ARPPU of $335”… So could there be some specificity depending of the game?
  • moreover, all these studies average a lot of different F2P appz with some/a lot existing only to do dollars, being a game is just a cover. I believe that GoW is different and it’s more a game looking for a monetization…
  • there is another example “it’s notable that around 10 percent of Tribes: Ascend players choose to pay money” compared to the usual 2%.

In overall, it seems to me that all these facts depend of the game and it’s difficult to accurately extrapolate them to GoW. I don’t deny that there are not big spenders (which definition also depends of the game) and their impact on the funds of GoW.

If we can come back to the topic (ie pity timer), my point was that players (including big whales) can simply be disappointed after spending an huge amount of ressources (more than 1000$) and not having the Mythic that they want and so on, leave the game.
Your answer was that big whales needs a bait to continue giving dollars.
But you don’t know what they are buying… Is it really during the Mythic hunt that big whales give the most? Only devs have this information…

Are there big spenders who want to let us know what are their purchases?

I think it’s incumbent upon you to provide evidence that you have any idea what you’re talking about or that your ideas are in any way viable. I’ve just ponied up with multiple citations. The onus is on you at this point.

To be clear, these are reputable reports from reputable companies all giving us essentially the same directional data and all from the past year or so. If you’ve never heard of Swrve or Tapjoy or Appsflyer or DeltaDNA, whom generate many of these reports and the data I pointed to, then I don’t know what to tell you but these are some of the top providers of analytics (both in-game telemetry and ads) in the mobile gaming business. They are integrated into literally millions of apps/games on the marketplace and take their data directly from these games.

Furthermore, I already addressed precisely your question, which you refuse to let go of. The crafting system is a form of pity timer in that it gives players a guarantee at a specific thing they want in a calculable amount of time. It (a) makes no sense to ask for both and (b) must have been decided b/c they did math telling them that they’ll make more money by giving whales that carrot than they will lose b/c those whales get frustrated and quit the game when they spend a bunch of money and don’t get a mythic. And, yes, whales hunt good cards and to complete their collection. They’re spending on Legendaries, Mythics, and Traitstones, for sure. What the hell else would they be spending thousands on…

Honestly, the current state of the game should be readily apparent from its position on the top grossing rankings on iTunes: It only appears in the Puzzle sub-category, and quite low in it (currently #133), b/c its revenue is very small. The bottom line is that it’s a very, very modest success. There is absolutely no way it makes much profit and most companies would shut it down b/c it’s not worth the opportunity cost. We’re very fortunate it continues to exist but I assure you it’s not “safe”. The idea that “more players will spend a little” is honestly a very bad one and would likely be the game’s death knell based on all the available evidence. It’s just not the economic reality of the F2P business, sorry.

No need to be hostile guys, i think it’s time to close this thread, nothing useful will come out from it and it’s clear the devs changed their mind and don’t want a pity timer, now let’s see what will happen with the crafting system.

1 Like

You’re right. I’ll edit my post and de-escalate. He keeps making these ridiculous claims at every opportunity and it drives me nuts. As I’ve said before, I really don’t suffer fools lightly.

That doesn’t mean that you cannot have any criticisms about them… Mines are:

• on the 3-years report of Swrve, some stats have a huge disparity because, I think, the data are based on only one-month (not the same for the 2016’s one).
  • between the different reports, there are also disparity in: what is a whale (100$, 70$, 300$?), % of spenders, etc. I don’t say that they are wrong but their results are a little bit different.
  • all these reports mixed different games which should have different profiles (different bundles availables, different F2P tricks used, etc.). You have there average stats on a population of different games. So on, you can’t be sure that GoW follows the average. Restrict the population to games similar to GoW could be a solution to obtain more accurate informations about GoW.

Let’s agree on Crafting is a pity timer because we can buy gems with dollars, souls with gems and let’s assume Mythics with souls. In this case, I agree. But we should wait and have confirmation of what Crafting will propose.

And you forget Common, Rare, etc. (because everyone wants to make them Mythic). So in clear everything. But for everything aside Mythic you can buy a pack… With Crafting, devs could add a X$ pack for the Mythic…

So GW should be very bad for whales as the only solution for the moment is to join an high rank team…

What do you mean by little? 100$ for one Mythic is little for you (I remind that 100$-spenders are considered as whales by some of your references)?

Agree, this is getting tiresome.

@Sirrian lectures university courses on F2P games and their economics. The team and publisher run a lot of analytics. I’m comfortable that the devs would have implemented a pity timer, or designed it that way to begin with, if it was worth doing.

2 Likes

Nobody force you to read/answer. Stop acting like a moderator when you aren’t one… :slight_smile:

If my messages were directed to Sirrian, he would be tagged. Here it’s just a discussion between players.
I believe that some players are not that knowledgeable about F2P (me the first one ;-)) and could be interested by the references posted here.

It seems a conclusion of this discussion was that Crafting could be considered as a pity timer… Of course, devs can change their mind ;-).

1 Like

I am against pity timers. They are pathetic timers. All they do is give away free stuffs and consequently dilute the value of items that have been paid for. If everybody has Famine, for example, then what value it has ? Nothing. Pity timers are favor for non paying players, which IMO already have enough free stuff so shouldn’t complain any more.

When I created this thread, it was just a question I wanted answered from the person that was involved in the discussion a year ago, @Nimhain.

I should have made a personal message to her instead, possibly may have gotten an answer.

Either way there has been no input from the Dev’s and I’m really starting to get sick of the replying notifications. So I’m asking nicely, @Saltypatra, can you please delete this thread? I couldn’t care less about an answer now.

I wanted to answer. And not moderate, but give my opinion; that is - this thread was just a load of escalating acrimony and getting personal and nasty, and not moving any debate forward.

1 Like

upon my deep and lengthy study of south park episode where canada mobile gming minister build te game canadaville to fund canadian devil, it is undeiably proven that F2P is supported by minority big whale addicts. ence, appealing to their demand is vital for the survival of this game.

joking

I think it’s time to ressurect this thread :wink: .

1 Like

So for last Mythic, I spent 3k Gem keys + 6k gems for a total of 33k gems, more or less 2200$.
Obviously, it was free stuffs hoarded on a long time, but just imagine I was a crazy guy and really spend 2200$.
Do you devs should not feel a little bit guilty?

Crafting was believed to be a pity timer on this thread but it’s not the case…
So could we have a real pity timer?

With what the latest patch brought in, I wouldn’t bet on it. :wink:

2 Likes

I just remember that one player said that in China the drop rate should be well-known by the players.
And if I understand well the game will be soon released in China.
So will we get the drop ratio table?

1 Like