Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

You too. Get some sleep - and don’t get killed by Mrs Groot.

1 Like

Another solution to the rush meta: remove the leaderbard/rankings and hide the points so no guild can know how much points the other guilds have.

1 Like

I’m wondering how defense teams are going to work. Obviously I’d want to set up a daily counter team, e.g. something that counters green on the green day. However, due to time zones involved, I’d either have to set up that counter team several hours early or several hours late, which doesn’t sound helpful for competitive fights within a 24 hour window. Any chance we could get six special defensive slots, one for each day of Guild Wars? And possibly have those slots remember their hero class/perks?

4 Likes

My perspective may be off, but really? Five battles per day is “locked in” and takes all the fun out of the game? This interpretation really surprises me. As for the anytime option, I can see us running into weekends that look like Mondays after reset, with people losing their minds because they can’t complete their guild war battles since the servers are crashing from the overload. Or Guild X coordinates an attack on Guild Y at the last minute, destroying what they thought they had accomplished during the week.

You do the daily logins, don’t you? It doesn’t seem that bad to fight 5 battles, which also count as ranked PvP, while you’re in to pick up your goodies.

12 Likes

is there a chance to allow a guild with only ±25 members active in war to have same chances as 30 members one?

a know less active guilds arent on equal terms and shouldnt get all the rewards as the most active ones but life happens, there should be small margin allowing to maximize the gain without having to have ALL the members working on it. just like the guild chest seals have a small margin…

well either that or something like what you mentioned

I have no doubt that a well-organized guild of 25 people with good skills & troop variety will be able to beat guilds of 30 people who are not so far advanced… that’s part of what the color-bonus mechanic is about… it stops it just being about numbers of guild members who turn up.

Having said that… the high-performing guilds of 30 are always going to come out on top for obvious reason.

8 Likes

No mention about guild guardians, loyalty courage etc. I thought those cards were supposed to be involved in guild wars.

Not the cards exactly, but the statues that represent them provide a bonus.

EDIT: Oh, to clarify - in an earlier design we thought the cards themselves may play a more integral part in the Guild Wars… turns out it didn’t feel that great to play…

11 Likes

As much as I despise PVP, I think I can get myself to play 5 matches a day. I think…

As a guild leader of a top guild i cant really spot any problem about 5 battles a day. From observing performance of members in my guild i know that at least 28 players already do those 5 battles a day, and much more.
If a player misses a day but remaning members do all 5, will it be such a huge problem? Not in our guild at least. While we were always competitive, we were never unreasonable so i dont think any of our member will find hard to participate.
I cant speak about other guild tho, but considering that with 200 pvp battles i cant break out in top 20k players, im pretty sure 90% of player base will do 5 battles a day without breaking a sweat.

5 Likes

i think there is a lot of guilds who reach 30-40k seals and 4-6 colors finished who have couple (if not more) players who just play at the weekends

what will happen to those players? will they be forced to move to weaker guilds?

3 Likes

Something like that would be a great idea.
Anonymous has always been a top guild with a casual spirit. Some of our members, although they are making many trophies each week, don’t play every day… because they have a job, a family, a life, or simply because they play other games.
I would hate to have to harass them into playing every day if they can’t or don’t feel like doing it. And I would even more hate losing great members because the game would have become too constraining.
And, as a player, I would hate to play every day because I have to and not because I want to, even if it is just for 5 battles.
So a little flexibility would be great.

7 Likes

That’s great that you and @DonBoba and a few others can’t imagine how this could be a problem but many of us can. Is your lack of imagination in this situation somehow more compelling a point than those of us who can see the inherent issues with requiring people to log in everyday to maximize GW; points we’ve already made ad nauseum?

I’d rather GW be a system that maximizes fun and is rewarding for most players, not just elite, hardcore players who can’t imagine anything happening in their life that might keep them from being able to log in, create a special team and fight 5 battles each and everyday of every week forever; because that is what the original method encourages. Do that or you’re not maximizing your contributions to your guild. Do that or you’re no longer a hardcore player. Do that or you don’t belong in the top 30.

Really? You can’t see the difference between that and a daily login bonus that doesn’t affect anyone except the player receiving it and that nobody at end game cares about? Sorry but I call BS on that. There’s a big difference and if you can’t see that, it’s not on us to try to open your eyes because at that point you’re willfully keeping them shut.

/end rant

I do agree with you on this and some of @Sirrian’s concerns about an “anytime during the week” option which is why I feel his alternative, 10 battles max over two days option is a much better solution than either of the others.

2 Likes

i wish there was a way to allow 2-3 players each week to do all their fights any time so for example in the weekend, while still asking the rest of members to do their fights on a daily (or two days) basis
be those members every week / any time nominated by guild leader or something

@Sirrian anything like that possible or could you take it into consideration?

so that a guild doesnt have to decide to be even more casual or more dedicated then before…

I understand what you’re saying about weekly play patterns and the problematic nature of daily tasks, but if the devs want to introduce a game mode that requires more regular play, then it is a fact that those that don’t play at that regularity will receive less benefit from such a game mode.

I don’t want to put words into your mouth, but I personally accept the fact that my guild may not get maximum return from guild wars because we are a diverse group of players that all play different amounts at different times. And I’m ok with that - I can still happily contribute what I can towards guild wars.

So if the best reward from guild wars comes from 30 guild members winning 5 games per day, then I already know we won’t get maximum rewards. If someone is not able to win all 5 matches, so be it. If they can’t play all 5 matches per day, so be it. I’m fine with that.

With all due respect I’m not sure why these previews are inciting such strong responses unless - and I’m not saying that you personally are - people are coming to them with a view that they should be able to earn the maximum resources from guild wars.

If guild wars was punitive to those that don’t play then fair enough. But if all people are losing is the opportunity to earn extra, then that is just a fact of a competitive system that will have winners and losers. And the winners in this game will always be those that dedicate the most time to the game.

EDIT: just to add, I am really looking forward to playing 5 high stakes matches per day that actually count towards something rather than the usual PvP where winning is the norm and losing has no great feeling of loss

6 Likes

Thanks for your thought out response, @Dddd. I’d like to respond specifically to one incorrect assumption you’re making (and that I suspect others are making, too)

I don’t feel that “we” should be able to earn the maximum GW resources each week (whatever those end up being); being that it’s a competition each week among six different guilds, by its very nature only 1/6 of guilds will be able to earn the maximum rewards (and, depending on unreleased factors, probably not even that many).

What I do want and what I am fighting for is that the system put in place stikes a fair balance between giving everyone an equal shot at trying to maximize their performance for their guild vs creating a system that isn’t easily exploitable by truly organized guilds (like the good examples @Sirrian and @RiverSong gave).

The fun (I’m expecting) in GW will be from competing against 5 other guilds each week and knowing only the best guild in each group will get the maximum rewards. I’m not trying to change that, in fact I want that. What I don’t want is there to be an artificial barrier put in place that limits people’s ability to experience that, forcing a rigid timetable that would quickly feel like a daily obligation instead of a fun, guild building event.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit and does a better job explaining where I (and I think many others) are coming from. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like you are expressing my mind.
Its not a big deal if someone cant play every day!
If that player is a member of a top guild it certainly wont get kicked for not playing 2 days of a week. At least that wont happen in our guild.

And a fact people are exaggerating is about time needed. Its 5 battles. Its 10-15 minutes engagement a day. Is that so much? :confused:
If anyone complaining here isnt that long in this game every day, ill take back what i say. Let me see your hands.

I don’t play every day. My average is probably 6 days a week but there are times I don’t play and just do a quick login instead and occasionally not even that. I probably lose my daily login at least every other month lol

@DonBoba Note that if I want to be certain that I win all those five games, I won’t bring a 2 minute team. It’d rather be something like 5-10 minutes. Note also that I am still approaching endgame (getting final kingdoms to 5star, not everying 3 traits but the important ones are, definitely no access to mythics beyond the two lucky drops).
The same statement about longer match times will apply to people who are less into endgame/have a less polished team, especially compared to what they fight.

1 Like

You’re also forgetting that it’s not just 5 battles; it’s five battles with an optimized team that varies each day.

2 Likes