Goblageddon (quite scary)

Made a Dwarven Defense Team out of protest.
That’ll teach 'em.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I fear Skeletons (or any Skull Based Team) 10 times more than Goblins.
Goblins are at least predictable and less random than those Skull Teams.

Uh, wait, “obtained so easily”? After what feels like several dozen hours of playing since the patch I’ve only managed to buy a grand total of two traits. And I’d probably kiss my Banshee for a single Rocket Goblin, getting enough to level any troop to Mythic is… unthinkable. For “normal” players not blessed with a huge pile of converted keys that screenshot is at least several years fighting an uphill battle. Not complaining, just putting that easy part into perspective. :wink:

Sure, don’t get me wrong - didn’t mean ‘easy’ to belittle the effort needed - just ‘easy’ compared to levelling/getting traits onto other, rarer troops people might otherwise use…

My point being the Goblin is common, the Shaman and Boar Rider are only rares… very few other options give such an effective team without harder to collect/ascend/unlock traits cards…

It is always the same argument when it comes to why goblins are that good. They simply are above average for their rarity and they are easily obtained and buffed.

Not quite - new nuances on the same argument as each patch/content has hit… and each has made the ‘problem’ worse…

1. Goblins were above average when the game first hit - their spells had good synergy and were under-costed for mana.
  2. When team bonuses came in 107, only Goblins could reliably get both type and kingdom bonuses, putting them further ahead
  3. Now in 108, ascending/traits are easIER to do with commons and rares, so Goblins get those advantages sooner, including the blanket stat gains, so the goblins are again even further ahead…
2 Likes

I had the impression that it’s mostly an AI issue. The Goblin team is one of the few the AI plays well (because there isn’t really any strategy involved, spamming anything that is ready will do just fine), the other notable one currently being 3 Skeletons/Orb. When playing yourself, you can win with lots of different team compositions, even against a mirror team. You just tend to perceive the ones as stronger that gave you a tough fight. Maybe the Goblin team just needs an obvious way for the AI to mess up (like modifying the spell of the Goblin Shaman to set the Magic value of your whole team to 0 until you end your turn)?

I’d say that’s another contributing factor but in addition to those I listed, not instead…

On second thought, the team bonus definitely makes a huge difference in case you don’t get anything from your kingdoms yet. Four attack and ten health almost double the value of those troops, more in case they are still low level. I guess it eventually gets less pronounced with ascension and kingdom bonuses, but yeah, Goblins seem to be the ultimate starter weapon and quite helpful for a long time.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! Tigerclaw strikes back!!!

I am not scared of goblin team yest when I get matchs they can wipe me but they are tiresome because like 70-80 percent of my PVP matches are goblin teams. It is really ridiculous right now. Im so sick and tired of seaing goblin team over and over and over and over again.

1 Like

what about worms?

Havent seen all that many of them. Skeletons are more common and quite frankly more scary. But even they loose in the amount to the freaking goblin teams which are just all over the place.

i saw a full mythic group with all the traits… gob, hob gob, shaman, and gob king… by the time i was done, the gob king had like 70health…

it was obscene - tried to take a picture but copy and paste seemed have picked up something else before i got to it.

Probably the very same party I mentioned upstream. My record with it is 1:1 but even when I won the king summoned a ton of reinforcements. :smile:

Since me last post I fought 5 battles. 4 of which ended up against Goblins. Its getting really ridiculious right now. They are too powerful team. Yes you can beat them, specially if you have someone that can comvert green gems to another colour but seriously this needs to be addressed because just like webspinner teams before the nerf, right now you are just facing goblins all over again to the point where the game seems like burden because you fight the same build team repeatedly.

1 Like

I know everyone is pointing fingers at the gobbies because they are seeing them so much. As to why they are seeing them so much, there are many theories behind that and we don’t need another one from me.

But lets be honest about what is actually going on here. The original goblins posted had the following stats:
Goblin 25/41/23
Goblin Rocket 20/37/17
Goblin Shaman 22/44/22
Boar Rider 22/42/23

Now, lets look at the same goblins without their personal kingdom and type bonuses to get to what they would look like if you removed all their bonuses
Goblin 25/31/21
Goblin Rocket 20/27/15
Goblin Shaman 22/34/20
Boar Rider 22/32/21

So you are still talking goblins with ~55 combined health and around 20 attack (except the poor rocket who has other duties). The problem isn’t the goblins, the problem is the global bonuses being stacked on things. You can nerf the goblins into the ground and you will just end up with another team with the same exact global bonuses. It might take slightly longer as people would have to ascend and level that new troop (after having dumped their resources into their goblin team), but it would end up in exactly the same place.

Calls for change in mana cost probably make a lot of sense. Speed used to be the shield of the goblins, but they don’t need that speed as much any more. You could probably add +2 or +3 mana cost to every marauder type card in Zaejin and get pretty darn close to fixing things without going overboard. What you can’t do is make troops not look scary any more with the bonuses being piled on them.

-Razlath

Yes, I usually die off of goblin teams not because of their spells (though they certainly help), but because of their marauder bonuses. You need to have two skull matches and anyone goes down like nothing.

For certain there are some powerful builds like say alchemist, banshee and valkyrie (doesn’t really matter who the 4th is - can be Finley, can be Hero with Flame) - this is one powerful team but you wont see it around all that much due to troops not having that great bonuses stacked together and because it takes a long time to start rolling the gems and needs some careful planning too. In other words its a strong build but it rewards those who are patient enough to play with it. Thats a good balance.

Gobbies teams are on every corner right now and it shows a poor balance.

That’s the age old farming build, with very high control and if played with skill, infinite turn loop… but it’s no use for the AI as playing it needs skill… so you won’t see those in PVP much, and when you do, they’re easy to beat…

The marauder bonus is only +4 attack. +4 attack isn’t going to be enough to dramatically shift the course of battle with the amount of bonuses in play. If it was, Luther would be much more popular (+5/6/7 attack to all per cast). Many goblin teams don’t even get the +4 because they use the rocket which is a construct so they only get +2.

For some reason there is this concept that goblins are the only ones getting huge bonuses. The max goblin based bonus is +10 life and +4 attack. That is it. Every other stat you see buffed comes from global kingdom bonuses (now capable of being doubled) which apply equally to all troops and ascension / 16+ level bonuses which can be applied equally to all troops of equal rarities.

It isn’t a goblin problem, goblins are just easy for the AI to run, widely available, and easy / fun to play. Thus they are quite a bit more popular. Lots of players don’t have the resources to maintain two decks right now. The goblins work well on invade and defense so they make a good choice for leveling. I know I shelved my other decks when 108 hit as I need to focus all my attention on the gobbies to get them leveled and traited up.

The good 4 legendary builds some run don’t get seen as often because they take 4 legendaries not because they are in any way inferior. The transmuter decks don’t get seen because anyone who has watched the AI play one knows better than to put it on defense if they have any intention of winning (Seriously AI stop transmuting gems that only have like 3 on the board and can’t make 4 of a kinds!)

-Razlath