A little rant before I leave the game for a while/There be memes!

Are you really that thin-skinned?

1 Like

Maaaaaannnnn i wish i had more likes but in the meantime

1 Like

This was my feeling, and probably the main resason why I donā€™t mind whatā€™s happening in here. Butā€¦

Iā€™m actually glad this conversation on forum etiquette is occuring, I think itā€™s long overdue. I do NOT think this forum is ā€œthe worstā€, but it does have room for improvement. And to expand on what I said earlier, while I donā€™t think @Vangor is poisonous or a troll, I do think heā€™s been poisonous or a troll in certain threads/situations, as have certain other forum members who I also like. In fact, I called some out (not by name :wink: ) in a thread last week, and if the OP hadnā€™t turned abusive in that thread I would have continued the conversation there. So letā€™s not discount some of @Luther 's valid points out-of-hand.

I agree that ā€œlightening the moodā€ is a good thing, and you can troll people in a good natured way. But how and when plays a big role. When youā€™re teasing a friend, or throwing some humour into a thread between 2 friends, thatā€™s cool. But when only one side of the conversation is your friends, it can come across as negative. And if a bunch of people do it together, it looks like ganging up. Basically, thereā€™s a time and place for it, itā€™s not OK in every thread/situation. For example, when I tease @DonBoba , I think thatā€™s OK because of a bit of history and respect between us. But if I teased somebody new to the forums that ā€œyour guild isnā€™t as good as mineā€, or if I teased somebody that I previously had a run-in with on the forums with where there might be some bad blood, that wouldnā€™t be cool.

Obviously not everybody will agree and everybody is allowed their own opinion, and there doesnā€™t seem to be any enforcement/moderation on the forum anyway. But I think the best place for the forum is self-policing, and somewhere between the extremes of ā€œno fun/memes/trollingā€ and ā€œanything goes because I say Iā€™m jokingā€. And just because weā€™re not the worst forum doesnā€™t mean we arenā€™t wrong or offensive in some cases.

We can always be better if we choose to, just a thoughtā€¦

9 Likes

Just popping in here to see what all the chatter isā€¦

See ya!

8 Likes

There is moderation when it is genuinely required, and it comes in two forms. In some cases, an individual will make a post that is offensive to the community and those posts can be flagged by any user for attention. If a sufficient number of users flag a post, it is removed. This is the community working to self-moderate. In other cases, things get out of hand and the devs, who are the only official moderators have to step in. In my time here, that has taken the form of a gentle caution, threads being locked or users being temporarily or permanently banned, and even repeatedly banned when they tried to sneak back in under a new name.

2 Likes

@beanie42 thank you for your well thought out and perfectly reasonable thoughts on this topic and if i wasnt out of likes youd get one

I absolutely and 100000000% agree with you and i do meme alot but its nit in every thread even when i disagree with the OP bottom line in this particular thread is @Luther is still mad at me because i tried to tell him he was wrong on his ā€œcheating AIā€ thread which devolved into myself and others memeing the hell out of it

There is definitely a time and a place for being goofy and having fun and i feel loke this thread is that place

2 Likes

@Vangor: Like I said, itā€™s just my opinion. Apparently others here do appreciate all the memes, but I do not.
And browsing an internet forum isnā€™t my idea of fun, Iā€™m just here to pick up information about the game. If I want to have fun, Iā€™ll go play with my kidsā€¦ :smiley:

5 Likes

@beanie42 Thanks for showing your view, which seems to be very comprehensive.

2 Likes

@Vangor , donā€™t worry Vangor, i have nothing against you in particular, and as individual.
Just my pleasure to fight bullies when i see them out of control.

It happened on me, who cares, when i see them bullying others, well i intervene when i can.

But i see you can talk civilly and respectfully when you want.
I just wish you would dedicate more of your time to talk civilly than mocking people.

You can express good ideas, so iā€™m not personally against your personality, just against your behaviour.

2 Likes

I think that is a very valid opinion, i am not big on memes myself.
Occasionally there are funny ones that make me chuckle and i appreciate those but generally i do like them to be rare especially in those threads that have the purpose of informing people, gather real opinions and stick heads together to think of solutions for all kinds of issues etcā€¦
However i do think there is room for exceptions and a thread like this with such an inflamatory and mostly dishonest OP stating things as facts that arenā€™t and broad-brushed unfounded accusations in basically every direction is such an exception.
Being a playground for the meme-freaks is probably one of the best directions such a thread could have taken, so i am fine with it.

2 Likes

@Luther In these last two posts you have shown your own civility as well.

Please read with full sincerity, I am not mocking AT ALL:

As an advocate against bullying, be careful that your gut-wrench, knee-jerk reaction to it, does not resemble it. As a passionate person myself, I can sometimes go too far in my reactions or defense of a topic I truly believe in. We are all Human after all. :wink:

6 Likes

@Luther this has been all in good fun until you called me a bully

You have a problem with my behavior fine you are entitled to your opinion. But im a grown man and i dont answer for my behavior to you

Now i am done with you

Bye felicia

3 Likes

And i -totally- agree with you, and i can tell you , you have read my intentions right :slight_smile:

my exact point was to show how mocking is a negative and objectonable and non contructive behaviour.
I donā€™t like behaving in an abusive way.

My only wish is that the moderation would start taking this thing seriously so they would at least put some light and attention on that behaviour, so the forum can become a more relaxed and civil place where to share ideas, even wrong ones, and have a civil contrasting conversation which can lead to improvement.

1 Like

This was post #73 on this thread and youe first hereā€¦

I can only assume the childish bully you are referring is me due to the reuse of that accusation so please show me where i was being a bully

Edit: if you truely think i should be removed from this forum than good please rest assured you will no longer be poisoned by a toxic childish and bullying response from me

1 Like

@Luther

Just so you know, people HAVE been banned in the past. Both of those users were also excessive users of memes.

So the assertion that people ā€œknow they wonā€™t be touchedā€ isnā€™t really all that accurate.

That being said, youā€™ve been civil and hopefully everybody else will be as well from here on out.

3 Likes

That is a fair and valid wish.

If I might offer an observation:

You have been a member of these forums since January, I have been a member since March of last year. I would encourage you to spend a bit more time here and get to know the personalities. We do have our loverā€™s of memeā€™s and there are those who have made it known that memeā€™s are not welcome. In the past the devs have been very vocal about people derailing, trolling threads with memes and have issued bans accordingly. Because of that, the ā€œmemersā€ we have here are actually very respectful about when and where they post.

This truly is one of the best game communities Iā€™ve ever been a part of. Weā€™re not all perfect, but we do strive to be respectful. At least that is what I have experienced in my 14 months here.

Again, welcome to the forums, and enjoy the game! :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, even if the temptation is great, and that thread offers great material of abusive behaviours, i will refreain to quote a Closed thread. Do you really want to me to re-post here all the meme you posted? In a different thread? no thanks.

No vangor, i donā€™t think you should be removed. But that you should be behaving civilly, which is a thing you are capable of, and sometime you donā€™t want to.

And itā€™s not targeted to you as a single person, in that thread there were over 100 abusive posts, with users which have contributed over 25 posts in abusive behaviour.

And considering iā€™m not a heavy poster in this forum (so i donā€™t care if i am the only target it would be a great relief, it would just need me to stop posting :smiley: ), i just wonder how many people have been earlier the target of this kind behaviour, with impunity.

1 Like

@efh313 this was my absolutely favorite show in the late 80s early 90s

2 Likes

Thanks, i have been around a lot of forums, from those not moderated to those nazistically moderated, so i can tell you i got a kinda wide view on this matter.
In this forum i have seen great things and bad things, but the overall ganging here is still out of control.

And one of the things that have blocked me in this forum from contributing further was seeing this widespread ā€œtolerated by moderatorsā€ behaviour, which just flushed away most of my will to frequent this place.

Again, itā€™s not an attack to the single troll, but overall the general behaviour of a consistent group.

1 Like

It was a hard time, i tell you that. Not gonna lie, i cried myself to sleep sometimes, and had to go through therapy to deal with the kind of meme-driven abuse i was objected to on these forums.
Gladly my therapist had some very good advice for me to deal with this situation. He always said: ā€œNow go put your big Boy pants on, also we are out of time again, see you here same time next week, now get out of my office.ā€
Always helped me to remember his words to get through the difficult times on this forum.

3 Likes