World quest made the newbie experience horrible

I also made a brand new account just like @sylverscale

At that point (knight battle) one has access to guild and casual PvP is the only game mode (I don’t count unlocking kingdoms) - it will take time but there is access to resources for unlocking and upgrading troops.

What makes me scratch my head is another thing - why do medals get introduced before explore (medals - 24; warbands - 26; explore - 28)? What’s worse, though, is hero classes only become available at 30, so your hero is of limited functionality…

2 Likes

I did some more playing and must say that, unfortunately, OP is overreacting.

Beating those knights does not lock out general progression - reach hero level 28 and you can play explore, reaching 30 will allow using hero classes, I suppose, and it will be fairly straightforward from then on (unlock Mang, get barrier on brown).
Practical effect from not defeating knights is that you don’t have the ability to equip medals and nothing more. One can easily come back to that fight later when strong enough.

6 Likes

Another update.
Knight quest done (gives 1 medal of Yasmine as reward). Following Warband quest was successful on the first try with the same team.

Mechanist (overall hero level 34, no traits, no souls used to upgrade class specifically, champion level 5) with Blade of Justice
Lapina Explorer (level 8, no traits)
Dark Maden (level 1, no traits)
Wisp (level 1, no traits)

It largely depends on what troops you get…joining a supportive guild will certainly help in this regard (I simply clicked on some random offer in guild searcher, got some glory keys, nothing much, will drop out as this is not a long term project, just a little messing around).

Hmm, should stick around to see what the quests for unlocking Campaign, Adventure Board and Dungeons will be.

EDIT (as I can’t make another consecutive post in this thread)
Further update.

Campaign - says “world quest required” but unlocks reaching appropriate hero level (provided, no campaign is active now, maybe some out of the blue battles pop up next week but so far it shows rewards collected and the entry is not grayed out);

Adventure board - the same, “world quest required” but worked with just reaching the hero level;

Dungeons - battles required to unlock BUT the quest for this only became available after unlocking Soulforge (also battles required) which comes later down the line (level 42 for dungeon, while Soulforge is at level 45), before that it was grayed out.
I’m not quite sure what to think about this…what would cause such mix-up?

Treasure Hunt - battles required to unlock.

I must say that no battle after knight quest has posed real threat, still using the same team (albeit Dark Maiden and Wisp now at level 8)…so far my experience is far from being horrible.

5 Likes

Id like everyone to keep in mind when doing these new account testings: You already have a game plan in motion and a general understanding of the game. Adapting when you’re already experienced is a lot different then a brand new experience.

2 Likes

Agreed. But like I said, Luther keeps pointing you towards playing your kingdom quests, not the world quest. So if you do what he tells you, you should be fine.

When I started, I was unable to finish adventure boards or pet rescues. I figured out in my own thst I needed to get better.

Unless people are new to games like this in general, they should be able to understand that on your own.

Would be nice if Luther would mention it somewhere, though. Say you lose the fight and he’d say something like “don’t worry. You can keep improving your skills and troops and come back to this fight later” so people who are actually new to such things would understand.

3 Likes

So I’m one of the newbies in question here – felt like playing a puzzle quest game again after quite a few years without dabbling in it, picked this up, and while overall I find the game decent the medal world quest was baffling enough for me to look all over trying to figure out what the heck the deal is.

I have a player level in the upper 50s now, have cleared out the questlines of the first few kingdoms (though the battles against teams with higher levels grunts than my own and traits mostly or fully filled out is vexing), but still can barely scratch the world quest I got far earlier. And since I’m stuck on the medal one, I can’t even attempt the other ones that have opened up since then (e.g. soul forge).

Any tips for getting through this, or should I just not let myself be bothered by missing features for a while?

What sort of board control and/or extra turn troops do you have? That is the key to beating this.

This is one team that worked for me

On another - guildless - account I did it yesterday with

Hero, level 24, with Priest’s Hammer (+2 weapon upgrade)
Goblin Bomber (troop you can get from those new quest chests; level 1, no traits)
Dark Maiden (put some gold in Zhul’Kari; level 6, no traits)
Moon Mage (another from new quest chests, level 1, no traits)

Have to go now, but that’s the premise - to have a composition that allows you to keep turn and control of board for as long as possible.

(P.S. While frustrating and I admit that I can’t understand the reasoning for making it this way, it certainly is not the end of the world just yet.)

I’m a newbie too but you just have to put in many hours. My troops are on a much higher level than yours (around 20 - 30 life now) but that is because I did a TON of quests as well as challenges. I played for fun so was not even really concerned about leveling up. Been playing for a month. I still cannot beat those guys in the World Quest though. Need to get a little higher.

Hmm, nothing as good as your top setup - no lapina, no wisp. I do have the bottom lineup, but that feels like it’d rely on a lot of luck for a long time - just one unlucky enemy turn would wipe it out.

Closest things I have to wisp and Lapina are… soothsayer and droggo, and skeleton for extra turn? But that seems like a strictly worse setup.

For now I can only advise you to try the bottom lineup (if luck allows, it won’t take too long. For me it was about 10 tries for battle one, another 10 or so tries for battle two on the medal quest; haven’t progressed any further with that baby account yet)

Are you in a new user friendly guild? That is the most important thing as it will provide access to keys (therefore troops) and other resources.

Part 1 I was able to get through relatively quickly before posting here, but part 2 I’ve spent well over a dozen tries with no real headway. All it takes is a single good turn by the opposition team to wipe out at least one unit, and I can do so little damage that I need to avoid that single good turn for far too long. I imagine the +10% week they’re getting isn’t helping, either.

As to guilds, I joined one semi-randomly that stated it was casual friendly. It has the guardians in the 150 +/- a couple dozen and a fair number of active high level members.

Overall, it’s not enough to get me to stop playing the game outright but it’s definitely enough to make me completely opposed to spending any money on it.

What’s bad about it is that it makes you feel you need to do it as soon as you can.

Before the path, we got medals way later.

Just do kingdoms, gather more troops, level up - you’ll get there.

Join a good guild if the one you’re in now isn’t. Maybe a lower one of a guild alliance so you have more advanced players to help you and can move to another guild later.

Or if you’re happy with your current guild but they can’t answer your questions I’m sure the forum will help.

1 Like

Are the other features like soulforge not important, then? The medal deal is stuck as my active quest at the moment, preventing me from doing any others.

Just did a couple dozen attempts, and no dice at all. I can take out the first or even the first two enemies, but both of the last two have summon abilities and most of my units go down in a single hit.

THIS seems to be the core complaint – lack of ability to forfeit out of the current World Quest to try a different one. (Compare getting a bad Campaign Task before the ability to re-roll was added)

As for trying to actually defeat this team for the medal? Well, of course I am just armchair gaming here but a few ideas:

• Get any troop that can cast Barrier (e.g. Priestess). Being able to absorb a “free” hit will improve your survivability more than you think.
  • Fire Lizard is a risky prospect against Sir Gwayne. They have matching Mana colors so if Fire Lizard’s ability to add Red Gems doesn’t give you an extra turn it will probably set one up for the AI.
  • Don’t underestimate old Goblin and War Hound! Goblin is free damage for how fast it charges, and reducing your opponent’s Attack improves your survivability. If you can reduce their Attack all the way to zero, the AI will recognize this and generally stop matching Skulls entirely (allowing you to match them instead).
  • If possible, try to target Sir Gwayne first because in addition to summoning, the mix of gems he adds to the board is very likely to cause an extra turn and collect a ton of Mana for the other 3 allies.
  • Paladin is a fairly easy troop to acquire (Lv.2 Whitehelm reward) and should always be combined with an ally that can buff Armor (like Priestess). Paladin deals spell damage scaled mainly by his Armor stat (similar to Rowanne) but focused all on a single target, and can become deadly quite fast when used properly.
  • If you can get any Troops with the ability to Charm (e.g. Droggo, Lamia) this will probably deal the most damage compared to anything else as it turns the opponent’s own Attack stat against itself.

Otherwise, the best you can do is focus on board control and work on finding the best matches available. Plan ahead by one move to avoid leaving gems (or skulls) in good setups that the AI can use first.

1 Like

They are important, it’s just that you won’t get them later than players who started before path did - which was the OP complaint (sort of).

I understand that it’s frustrating to not be able to beat the knights. I still remember struggling with adventure board, pet rescues, dungeons…

But I think you actually have better chances now to get there earlier because of the extra resources the path offers.

Good luck trying out the advice you got. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Ultimately managed to beat it at level 67, with a team of:

• level 10 warlord using a +3 crude club
  • level 19 Holy St. Astra
  • level 18 Ferit
  • level 18 Sir Alamir

(no traits on any of 'em)

Doing it after the +10% week ended did help, though largely it was just having troops a high enough level to tank more than 1 or 2 hits from inevitable enemy hits.

Only was able to get a team that high a level that quickly thanks to a guild quest reward of a greater orb of growth, a random soul gnome worth 5,000 souls, and some hefty ad soul rewards. (As an aside, why are some rewards in the game so tiny while others are so huge? Getting a few hundred gold for the log-in bonus seems like a joke.)

Found it extremely silly that tutorial man proceeded to tell me I’ll soon unlock explore mode at level 28. Also that the next tutorial, on warbands, featured an enemy team at level 22 while the prior ‘tutorial’ featured level 23 enemies with better team composition.

Overall, I’d argue that it needs to be changed. Just making the mission(s) open up much later honestly makes the most sense to me. The medal you get for clearing the medal tutorial would be a rather on the powerful side for a person at level 24, and there’s enough content to do that having this high-end quest suddenly thrust upon you is odd.

Edit: and the tutorial after that only features level 20 enemies? Why are enemy levels going down as the player level required by the tutorial goes up?

1 Like

So I’m also a new player(lvl53) and managed to get the medal quest done earlier today, and it took some grinding for sure, but this build that I’ve been maining for the last 10 levels eventually got it done.

• Level 10 Warlord with + 3 Javelin of War - Having the first two War talents, Ferocity and Counterattack gave my hero enough damage for the team to stand any chance, he also has enough hp and armor to tank at least 1-2 hits which is absolutely crucial in this fight. If he died I would basically auto-retreat and start again.
  • Level 10 Goblin Bomber - I can’t stress enough how insane Goblin Bomber is for anyone starting out and able to get it early on in a chest. The extra turns keep you in control + whittle the opponents’ health down, denying their skulls + giving you some crazy high rolls.
  • level 10 Giant spider - Used primarily to generate more extra turns and feed Moon Mage. The spiders are nice too if you need to last a little longer(I didn’t).
  • level 10 Moon Mage - Not exactly a key card but synergises with the spider + decent AOE to help chip them down.

With this build I needed a good few tries and quite a lot of RNG to go in my favour but once it did I was able to win a pretty long fight, even outlasting the 2 tokens that Sir Gwayne spawned.

So if you have a decent comp going with a good tanky damage dealer(probably your hero), extra turns + mana generation, you should be able to get it done. I would just
finish it asap, the +8hp to all troops medal is really nice and there’s just too much content gated off if you don’t do it(warbands, dungeons, soulforge etc).

I definitely agree with what others have said, the opponents’ power level for this world quest is over-tuned, especially considering the following Warbands Quest was a total walkover for me with this build.

4 Likes

I confirm; it’s now horrible.

I already played Gem of War but after several year without playing, I start a new account.

I like the new progression system except world quests because the medal quest is very difficult, I try the second mission during several hours, sometimes very close. And without this mission, I can’t make futur other world quests so no treasure maps. And I love treasure maps. So before I come crazy, I uninstall the game.

1 Like

The problem isn’t that that the medal quest is “hard” – but that it unlocks too early for that difficulty, and (unlike Kingdom story quests and LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MODE) you can’t abort one World Event for another.

2 Likes

Why don’t you make a new account and see how much the difficulty jumps up when you get to this quest.