Wishlist (Wall of Text)

I am not sure why you seem to take my comments as a personal insult. I never said I objected to balance changes. I don’t. And you might have noticed that @shimrra’s brilliant post (and it was brilliant, no snark from me there) was not on the board when my comments were made. What I object to is the seemingly unending loop of someone fielding a highly effective team, others start using it and the cries for nerfing begin. It appears to me that many seem to want the devs to do their work for them - that they would rather have balance/card changes than develop a viable counter.

I truly do not understand why the 3x + orb teams are objectionable. I have fought many of them and never had a problem. Some have been skeletons, some rock worms, some Jarls and at least one Brian team. I would rather fight them than multiple goblins or dragons any day.

1 Like

I’d be interested to hear your 3x skellies counter - care to share ? :wink:

Calling it ‘cries for nerfing’ is one example of why people, me included, could take your post as insulting.

I’ve seen a few posts in this forum asking for balance changing because they couldn’t beat a team, but in general that’s a minority (and those I’ve seen have often been laughable). This OP, and other recent observations on balance, aren’t made because players can’t win, but because either (1) they observe issues/combos/troop comparisons which feel unfairly strong or (2) those combos are becoming ubiquitous as enemy teams, or often both of the above.

You repeat, in your defence, the same broad-brush accusation that ‘many’ want the devs to make the game easy for them rather than come up with counters. Who’s that aimed at? Sounds like anyone making balancing suggestions to me. Perhaps that’s not your intention but it’s certainly how it sounds.

I change my team regularly. I can counter pretty much anything I see and am happy with the strategic challenge of it. I’m less happy running into the same team so often and the same simple exploits of combos that feel unbalanced. I’m a games designer and hope to see parity, and the best possible variety in the meta - and have a more varied experience myself too. I will comment where I judge there’s room for improvement. There’s plenty of voices here giving views both for and against such things, and the devs will test things and come to their own views.

Maybe it feels like a frustrating cycle to you, but I sense a bit of that is inevitable - new troops or stat / spell changes appear, one or two come through with unintended and unbalanced results, the player group spots it and for a while it’s everywhere. It might go out of fashion, but it might also merit attention for re-balancing by the team. It’s not the case that some genius spots a hitherto unfound magical strategy and then us poor idiots complain rather than find a way to beat it.

Just please bear in mind that the sweeping ‘get the devs to change things cos we’re too lazy to beat it’ line is pretty unfair, and certainly touches a nerve for me.

@esslee: It’s not a particularly brilliant strategy - I fight skeletons with skeletons, just as I fight goblins with goblins and dragons with dragons. For me, that seems to be the most effective counter.

You would need to scout every single battle (if you want to copy their team), and it’s still not countering just mimicking. Countering skeletons would be taking troops that remove purple/entangle/deal boosted damage to undead/deal boosted damage to purple mana users.

@RiverSong
Thanks for responding ( I meet you on the battlefield quite often :blush:) I sometimes fight skellies with skellies but also find 3x reaver and spamming the orb to deprive purple works too. Those skellies are quite squishy until they get started !

Esslee asked how I fight skeletons. I gave her an honest answer. Yes, I use scouting, that’s what it’s for. I have multiple teams set up and I use them in the ways that have been the most effective for me. If it’s not what you would do, don’t do it. I’m not getting why this is even an issue.

No I don’t get why there’s an issue to object to there either - and I’ve been doing my best to object to you today :slight_smile:

Also realised I have no idea if Esslee is a him or a her… And we’ve been guildmates all this time!

Having RUN skeletons, I’ll tell you the teams that beat me:

All dragon teams
Entangle teams - these are the WORST. Nothing more annoying than just not being able to do your stuff your deck is designed to do.

I have no wish to insult you or anyone else. I also acknowledge that there is a vast difference between the types of suggestions you, shimrra and several others have made versus the types of complaints I am talking about. Perhaps we have such different viewpoints that this elicits different responses from us that simply are not compatible. Truce?

Honestly, I don’t either; just a random choice of pronoun.

Sure, truce :slight_smile: until I can invade you with my Orb-powered skeleton army…

@MrSammy exactly what I ment. Don’t we all have that team which we are sure to use without scouting, since its out most reliable(and/or that we have the most fun with)? Using 50 gold every battle isn’t much, but looks like a bit of waste if it’s not really needed.

Picture is a dog… Perhaps @esslee is our highest ranking game playing canine?

For that I’d need to be on Facebook, which I haven’t done for a decade… and speculating is more fun…

@RiverSong
I too always scout every team - I agree that half the fun is pitching an appropriate team against the enemy !
@MrSammy
Yes I have lots of teams but my classic is Staff of Madness, Gorgotha, Hobgobbly, Druid. I have special task forces against teams of gobblies, slime/shamans, jarls etc. And yes - hope to make 1000 this week to join the original and best (that would be you heh heh ) on the podium :smile:
@Jainus
Hey guildie neighbour - I am a her - as is my springer daisy in the picture.

Why you no put the removal of max gold gain cap in challenges. The most gold you can gain from a non-pvp game that uses troops is 105 gold per run. each fight gets progressively more difficult and more expensive as you complete quests for a kingdom. At the moment it costs 70 gold to do one fight in one quest for me while i have 2 kingdoms quest chains done. As i complete more quests for kingdom the more money i will burn though slowing down game progress. This is what i am using to finish quests and i can only get 105 gold per run and only 4 souls.

Soul cap is not at 4. You can get 40 souls per battle (if I remember correctly). And furthermore cap increase with gold and souls multipliers. When you increase difficulty and/or equip better armor you will be able to get more gold. For example armor that gives you 100% gold will enable you to gain 210 gold every game (you would still be earning a maximum of 105 gold but it would be doubled on the end)

With the soul cap i never got more than 10 but i didn’t find any evidence to support that it was capped. I was also refering to base character lowest difficulty/no armour as i cant afford armour yet. The reason the cap would be a problem is when you get alchemist to go off a ton of times and don’t know if you hit the cap or if you have been using it the same number of times especially seeing as he can only passively give you extra turns which gives gold as well. If it was removed then i would spend less time focusing on getting sun/moon effect going and focus on using goblin. One other thing is for info that would help is for character leveling. As in could we see or have access to a chart that shows what stats we get at what level.

Try using valkyira, shw will help with farming soul. I tested the cap its 40 or 50 for souls, not sure which number of those 2, I tested it a while ago.