Why some troops should be nerfed?

The reason for this is the lack of synergy and game mechanics to potentially make ‘mediocre’ cards better then stand-alone mythics. GoW mythics are usually simply ‘stronger’ instead of build enabling / unique, compared to regular cards.

Every, seriously, every game that involves collecting certain troops, cards, heros, etc. has an order to its value or usage.

To make lesser cards higher and the opposite with the extreme is in my opinion really, really stupid.

There is a reason Mythic/Legendary cards should be more powerful than common/uncommon ones. No-one opens 50 Glory chests and exclaims, “Zomg yeah! Got 5x Boar Rider!!..”

#NerfdaNerfingPls

4 Likes

Low level players would be delighted to get 5x Boar Rider. It’s a powerful card where they play.

And there are Legendaries extremely powerful and underwhelming Mythics. In fact most Mythics are underwhelming. I remember I was amazed how underwhelming Elemaugrim was, and I don’t remember a game-changer since then.

I 100% agree with this assessment, but the counter is that in the past, and most recently with Fizzy, our devs, God love 'em, sometimes make choices that clearly place a card outside of their supposed “value”.

Fizzy was just an Epic, which means ALL Legendaries and ALL Mythics should be more powerful than her. And yet because of her combination of abilities she was able to single handedly take down TEAMS of 4 Legendaries and Mythics. This is as clear a case of OP as I have ever seen in GoW.

The devs responded swiftly, as they should have, but I and several among the community, feel they missed the mark altering the wrong things resulting in 2 noticeable issues:

1. Fizzbang no longer feels like Fizzbang!
  2. “Misfires” make her a less viable option for late game, strategic play where EVERY turn matters.
5 Likes

Show me a Boar Rider that is Impervious to all status effects, decrease attack on all enemies from one 4+ match and cause damage to every enemy troop.

Every Mythic has its role, just have to know where that is.

1 Like

I just know that a Dragon team or a Kraken loop can take him down quite easily.

I modified my previous post to show you exhibit A, Dwarven Miner. Did you look at him recently? It’s a Common, can draft all the gems of one color and is Impervious. At 8 Mana cost.

He’s already my best friend, of course, but he goes a little against your rules. And he’s been powered right now, I don’t remember him being that powerful until last week.

Also he’s the perfect countermeasure to poor Fizzy.

Petition to nerf the Miner in 3, 2, 1…

Yes, I have, I tend to prefer other exploders though. No trick question here, I’m really curious on a technical level. There has to be something about him that makes him extremely powerful compared to other exploders. In your opinion, what would that be?

If I may, as a fan of Rag:

Rag is a FAST exploder, so by selecting either +2 red or +2 brown flag, depending on troops above him, he fills with a single match 3 Mana Surge. This means I can generally guarantee myself a turn two cast. And fairly regularly, if there is a match 4 or 5 of the desired color, a first turn cast.

Because he is a targeted exploder, meaning I get to select the color. I have two options at my disposal:

1. Select the color desired most for a key troop to begin my combo. Since exploded gems give full mana as opposed to those who are subsequently destroyed which give reduced mana.

2. Pick the color with best board disbursement to allow me to garner the most mana of all colors to give myself essentially a FAST TEAM!

This makes him an extremely versatile and valuable troop, imho. :wink:

Hope that helps!
Didn’t mean to step on your toes @Vangor or fingers… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No @efh313 consider my fingers and toes un-trod upon. You explained it better than i cpuld have brudda

And for the record @Fourdottwoone i DO NOT advocate nerfing rags

I can see your sarcasm for the nerf request, but I’m not sure what point you’re getting at with my post.

Given the choice for the use of a Dwarven Miner or any Mythic troop available, you’d be quite hard pressed to find someone selecting the lesser card unless the circumstances required an invulnerable troop. Each troop has a role, should all the lesser ones require a buff for them to be useful or all powerful troops be nerfed to a lesser state? In my opinion, definitely not. That is the point I was getting to, not that all lesser troops should not be used by anyone.

1 Like

So much truth.

I’d also add a third point. The nerf only made her less desirable to use on offense. She is still problematic on defense. (Of course, you could say that of many major exploders now because of the gem spawn bug.)

4 Likes

It seems to me that this discussion is a microcosm of a more modern ideology. Call me old school and i wouldnt disagree with you but here is how i see it…

Far too often does society desire to cater to the lowest common denominator. This manifests itself with this “nerf the world” mentality.

Some of the symptoms of this are things like participation trophies, removal of holidays from public schools, and the oppression of free speech.

We dont want the kids who lost the soccer game to “feel bad” so lets gove them a trophy too! Or my religion prohibits X activity so if the other kids have said activity my child will feel left out so nobody should be allowed to participate. Or i disagree with what you are saying but i cant/wont/dont want to debatebthe point so instead i will just call you a fascist and yell “punch nazis”.

The same thing is happening here and is evidenced by the statements made by the OP.

Card a is way more powerful than card b but rather than finding a use for card b lets just make card a suck just as bad as card b.

In my day we had the mentality that you get what you earn and nothing more nothing less. You want better? Get better! Dont expect the world to drop to your level… Rise above and excel!

2 Likes

I understood your point was that there’s a hierarchy of troops for a reason, and power should be commensurate to the troop level. Which in this game is less and less true.

I’m not suggesting that one should use the Miner instead of a Mythic - do we have exploding mythics, by the way? My answer had a double aim:

• suggest that in fact this game is blurring the hierarchy, and rarity and power are not exactly aligned anymore, Exhibit A being the Miner and Exhibit B the Princess. The Miner and the Princess being obviously a romance waiting to be written.

And then

• point that in the same week the devs gave us a boosted Epic, Fizzbang, and a hyperboosted Common, Dwarven Miner, and the countermeasure for Fizz is Dwarven Miner. People don’t see it because they are leafing through Mythics and Legendaries to find how to crush the uppity Epic.

Conclusion: a lot of high-level players are unwilling to take challenges and do prefer the old ways, so they clamor for nerfing everything they have problems dealing with. In this case twice so because OMG peasants can get the Princess in the Shop. This is bad news for the game.

We do!

@Lyya your link takes me to this

Yikes. It’s working for me; might be a client/JavaScript issue with that browser.

I don’t want to derail the thread, so I’ll follow up in PM. If anyone else is having issues, please send me a PM with the browser/device you used.

1 Like

I don’t :frowning: but neither makes me think “I’m likely dead” like some combo of lower level cards can. In fact I meet them regularly and didn’t even register that they are exploders. I’m a bad player :disappointed_relieved: with very few mythics.

I dont think number of mythics is a good metric for how good or bad a player is

1 Like

Thank you. I’m a bad player all the same, I do a lot of bad choices. I’m said that’s how one learns, so I should soon be omniscient.

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. In my experience, Ragnagord somehow seems to greatly increase the chance of a Spirit Fox in the opposing team, which tends to consider Ragnagord as the one juicy target to go after. Other exploders seem to suffer this fate far less. I guess a point could be made here on the value of scouting. :astonished:

So you DO advocate nerfing all other troops? Shame on you!

Yes, I’m joking. Just putting this here in case it isn’t entirely obvious.

1 Like