Why Players think the AI cheats

Hey guys,

Good discussion! Thanks for keeping it civil, and thanks for moderating so well, @Lyya !

I was just reading, and wanted to add a few things:

1. There is categorically no “FU Mode” which turns on at any stage in the game to make it harder. RNG simply does that all by itself.

2. It’s been stated above correctly by some folks - but just to clarify from the horse’s mouth - there is a luck factor in the game. It’s there to make sure the AI never gets luckier than you in certain situations. Does it affect your luck? Never. Does it affect the AI’s luck? Yes, it can… it can stop certain skydrops making the AI feel luckier than it should. It’s purpose is solely to stop the AI getting overly lucky for newer players.

3. It is certainly possible that any piece of code might behave incorrectly. Gems of War is a very large system with a lot of very complex interactions. There will be bugs in there for certain. We generally fix them as we find them, where possible.

4. Having said that, we’ve devoted many hours (probably over 100 hours) to hunting through the code, looking for errors in this “Luck” calculations. We’ve runs 1000’s of games as tests & logged results. We’ve found nothing wrong there, so I’m inclined to believe there are no bugs.

5. Why have we spent so much time? Because sometimes the devs (mainly me!) have those games where it just feels like rubbish, and I’m certain the system is broken! It’s not though. It’s usually a subtle combination of non-skydrops that are putting the AI in a good position, followed by a couple of good pieces of RNG on spells, and THEN a skydrop or two that aren’t unusually lucky.

6. Might we all be lying? Absolutely. We’re not though… but I’ll leave that up to you folks. I would encourage anyone so inclined (and I understand it’s a mammoth task) to check out Galactrix or PQ2… our earlier titles… the code there is all available in Lua Files shipped with the game. You can SEE they don’t cheat in the code, but I can testify they FEEL like they do too.

30 Likes