Why play PVP

Ok, I have never completely found out why people play PVP. I have played it every week to tier 1. Now my weekly game time is getting a little thinner and something must be skipped and PVP seems like the right choice. I did it for glory and gold anyway, not sure I need them that desperately anymore, so is there some bigger meaning for it? Why do you people play it? Am I making the wrong choice?

1 Like

That’s probably the right choice.

Some people like the variety in PVP vs. the same-y-ness of grinding Explore in the same kingdom, or playing the same delve room over and over.

Some people play it for the chance to trigger pets. To me, that’s sort of the only “good” reason to grind PVP after getting Tier 1.

3 Likes

There are three reasons in my opinion:

-pets
-tier 1
-class xp
-gold

Pet gnome rates are so low that personally I don’t bother anymore. Plus there are days like today when there is a full day pet rescue so… :woman_shrugging:

Tier 1 rewards are nice but not OMG nice. If you don’t have the time, skip it.

As for class xp, personally, meh. You will get class xp doing everything else. It is slower but does it really matter?

Edit: Added gold as others pointed out. Forgot this one because I don’t gold farm, oops. I think explore is fairly comparable with PvP for gold farming though, but am not entirely sure.

Tbh, my opinion of PvP changed after GAP was introduced. I liked it for pets but stopped farming because nothing is more frustrating wasting a few hours and not finding a pet, or having the time to pet hunt and oh damn, it’s Wednesday. So, that and now that GAPs guarantee a pet, I just can’t be bothered to do PvP beyond tier 1 rewards.

3 Likes

Because explore is so tedious!

3 Likes

Its the only gamemode that still are challenging (not spam 1t) except faction without potions and pure team. Devs ruin all event with potions today its impossible to lose a battle,. Most gems spent win. Everything else are just a braindead grind with no strategy or skill needed.

And its fun.

1 Like

Gold is not part of the list? I do PvP when I’m looking for gold, but wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a faster way to farm gold that I’m unaware of…
:thinking: :sweat_smile: :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

If you want points, like to get to Tier1, spamming 1t with Phoenicia is the fastest way I have found. Not good for gold though. :sweat_smile:

Fine fine I will add gold to the list. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I dont bother farming for gold to be honest so I didn’t think about it, oops.

1 Like

This is no longer the case thanks to epic tasks and mecha gnomes, but back in the day I found getting to tier 1 rewards every week useful for accumulating purple ingots. They used to be semi-hard to come by since they did not appear in delves like legendary and mythic ingots.

1 Like

Thats true, devs have ruin pvp as well. 50 pts for 1t are a joke. If you go for nr 1 in pvp you just spam easy 1t with phoenicia :rofl:

1 Like

I hadn’t realized that PVP gives more xp, but at the moment my power level problems are with lvl 10 pets and finding mythics, so I’m good with grinding exp elsewhere for now.

Yes, I have gotten the feeling from this forum, that PVP held a bigger meaning in the past and as game modes have increased, time might become an issue.

Just few more questions while I shovel dirt on PVP… What happens if I use a gnome bait on pet day, will I lose it? I was going to use it today…
What is the thing with PVP ranks? I mean grandmaster etc… Do I get something from them or are they just for “boasting”?

1 Like

I am rarely playing PvP.

1 Like

You should lose it, I think, you’d get a Pet gnome dropping 2 white foods as no new pet rescue can be started and that’s about it.

1 Like

That would be an ideal reason to play pvp. That and Arena? Are the only places you will find pet gnomes.

1 Like

All of these (pets is lower priority now, though) plus ingots. I still have 15 epic weapons to upgrade.

2 Likes

True, but gap changed my view on the subject, as you can grind a lot of pets on gnome weekends. Also doing factions give me pets, so I would say my biggest need are those mythics at the moment.

1 Like

I avoid PvP unless it’s a campaign task, because it just isn’t fun IMO. Empowered troops and mana potion gems make it too dependent on luck. Besides, all my regular pets and classes are all maxed, so my time is better spent on medal grinding.

2 Likes

All these, plus glory; although that too has changed with Gnome-a-Palooza. Rationally it makes little sense now to grind out 5-10 glory per battle in PvP when I can wait until the next vault weekend and get 5K-10K glory per G-a-P.

Also though: it’s the most fun of the game modes as you’re playing against teams put together by real people. More variety, more useful ideas. (On the flip side though, more tedious cookie-cutter goblin / Rope Dart meta teams.)

2 Likes

I agree with @Maisie. Though, I only play PVP on guild wars week. If not for medal, I won’t do explore except vault weekends.

1 Like

Per the 4.7 update notes that introduced pet bait, if a situation occurs where you use pet bait while any pet rescue is active, you’ll get your pet bait back. Or more specifically, it will never be consumed unless you actually trigger a pet rescue with it.

EDIT: That said, I still wouldn’t attempt it during an all-day pet rescue just in case. There are enough random bugs in the game already.

• The Pet Gnome encountered by using Pet Gnome Bait cannot run away, so player’s don’t have to worry about him disappearing (he’s called the Baited Pet Gnome).
  • If a Pet Rescue is triggered while another Guild Member is fighting their Baited Pet Gnome, then the Pet Gnome bait is not consumed. The Baited Pet Gnome must trigger a Pet Rescue before it will be consumed.
  • If an existing Pet Rescue is already running before the player can play a PvP battle, the Baited Pet Gnome will not appear, and the bait will not be consumed.
  • Any Pet Gnome Bait a player owns will stack so if a player is unable to use it one week they will not miss out on the Pet Gnome Bait if they purchase the pack again.
3 Likes

With me, Causal Pvp for pets. And Ranked only when I need more gold.

2 Likes