Why is it you play GoW?

I’m not trying to put Gems of War down either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yes. This is a big category. But I love the turn based structure. I love various ways to build synergies etc.

Not really. I mean pvp doesn’t bother me, but it’s not why I play.

This is a factor. I tend to be a completionist, so the chase for this is an attraction. Although, I’ve done the math so… also no. Lol

This is one I’ve been struggling with of late. It used to be a big draw for me here, the diversity in terms of modes and events and building teams etc. The World events kinda dampened that. I prefer the older event modes, because they were not all the same. Although restrictions always meant similar teams. I’ve noticed some of the WE seem a little more open at least. I’m giving it time.

But I do like the various different modes of play. The event diversity needs a shot in the arm, now, though.

This is not me :eyes::joy:

While I am in deep now… I would never continue playing for that reason. It’s not a job where you are holding on to healthcare or pension or whatnot. It’s a game. Fun, play. Not fun, quit.

I can’t imagine this being a thing. :eyes:

Basically, while there have been some recent changes that I do not love, I still enjoy the game. I definitely see some problems. All games have problems. Because we don’t all like the same things.

1 Like

I think it would definitely be worth me giving a more detailed response at some point, but in dot-point form:

• As a GM, it’s kind of a little bit like a management sim :joy: if the guild isn’t doing well, it’s probably because I’m being lazy (amongst other things), so it’s interesting and rewarding for me to build the kind of collaborative atmosphere that I want to play in

• I like staying connected to some of the people, and I enjoy reading some of the smart things people post on the forums

• Easy to get into if I need to zone out for a bit

• The visual puzzle aspect (search and match) and repetitive motions can be a change of pace and soothing

• It’s easier than getting stuck into a new game, which takes a bit more mental energy

• Still have a couple of small, long-term goals that (tbh, only just) help to give a little bit of a dopamine boost from time to time

• The smaller-scale resource management sim aspect is something I feel like I have a little bit more control over then anything else going on :joy:
  • I occasionally enjoy feeling like my visual problem-solving or searching skills have improved

I previously was able to say I enjoyed the strategy aspect of coming up with counters in PvP, but tbh not so much anymore.

4 Likes

I probably fell under this category. I like to play a little while having youtube on or listening to a podcast.

3 Likes

I played HotS for a while as well. I enjoyed playing as Murky, but a lot of the time, other players would either call me a troll for using him (wait, how does he lay eggs? Nature finds a way), or quit outright at the start, leaving us short-handed with a bot. In Gems, I can use whatever troops or classes I like. Allegedly. I suppose there will always be something for some people to complain about, myself included.

I’ve played a lot of games in a lot of genre. Battlefield I and V, CoD 3 and Modern Warfare, WoT, WoW. Mass Effect, Oblivion. That other GoW, Gears of War 1-3. My younger brother rarely joined me.

We did battle several times in Puzzle Quest tho in 2008. I’d research spells and weapons. He’d congratulate me on taking the time to forge things he didn’t have, and then he’d proceed to destroy me. Welp, at least we got to spend time together.

I was excited for the opportunity to play a game he enjoyed again when I got the Xbox One in November 2016, but by that time, he had migrated to PS4. He was addicted to the matching aspect of Gems, and played on all 3 devices at the time. Mobile at work, PS4 downstairs; XBox 1 upstairs was his main. But he had fully ascended all his Xbox troops, so when the Mythic options came out, his PS4 troops became his main, because they were easier to become more Mythic. Therefore, I missed my opportunity, but became addicted as well. (Idk, maybe he was just avoiding me again.)

But in 2018, when Tower of Dooms came out, his PS4 Guild fell on hard times, and he migrated back to Xbox, and we formed the Horde that is Chunky’s Raiders. It could have been Tbone’s Raiders, but he did not wish to be a GM anymore. I have enjoyed playing with him again.

I continue playing Gems because of the friendships outside my family this game has provided, not just in my guild, but with my guild’s competitors on Xbox. And not just on Xbox, but in the global community in these forums.

There are times when I would like to quit this game. And I did for about 8 months after the ui change of 2017. But there is an appeal to matching those gems and seeing positive results come about. It is a nice change of pace from WoT, which requires a different form of team play. Not exactly multiplayer, but not single player like Mass Effect either.

2 Likes

I just like playing some battles. I stopped playing for about 10 months but world events and the campaign is the reason I started playing again. My guild is a huge reason I have played this for so long and keep coming back. I’ve been with my guild family switching between the guilds for close to 4 years now and I can say for certain I wouldn’t be playing if it wasn’t for them. When the campaign was first announced I got interested in the game again and joined a random guild for a week to make sure I did want to play and it was ok but as soon as I joined my guild again I really started enjoying the game again.

Basically what I like about the game now is my guild, campaigns, world events and I’m enjoying guild wars at the moment. My guild finished first in bracket 7 so I will probably start hating GW again soon when we climb too high.

Hell no. Before I stopped playing I had all troops and had them all fully levelled and traited but I don’t want that again. I’m not levelling my kingdoms anymore and I skip deed tasks on the adventure board unless I have to do it for the campaign or tying to get any stars past 10. I’m not even doing new pet rescues if I can’t be bothered. I don’t even bother ascending, traiting or levelling troops anymore if I am not using them and I have 8 million souls and hundreds of traitstones.

4 Likes

To see the most broken teams I can come up with. LOL

2 Likes

I don’t. I asked myself this question and couldn’t answer it, so I stopped.

5 Likes

Came for Match 3 RPG and stayed-ing for the community. Love the peeps playing this game.

1 Like

GoW is the only game I play on my mobile phone. I play it because there are no ads and there are no restrictios on continuous play. I also like puzzle quest. I play this game mostly when I’m travelling or commuting to work.

Other games I play atm are borderlands 3, persona 5 royal and danganronpa. This is the only match 3 game I play.

2 Likes

All diversity, credibility and creativity died with potions

1 Like

Although there is nothing to do whatsoever in the actual game, I like to check in on my guild’s discord and seeing what everyone is up to.

1 Like

Nothing to do? All your kingdoms maxed and a residue of superficial books of deeds? Yeah right.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I took a nap. Did they add a new game mode that allows you to farm deeds while I was sleeping?

3 Likes

I play the game to put the game down, there is no other reason to play now. Shame on the direction the game has taken. Shame, shame; shame.

2 Likes

Am curious about this. I hear a lot of people saying that potions killed the game but they are pretty much the only way I’m able to do higher difficulty events. As I’ve only played for 7 months, potions were there when i started. What was it like before? Were higher level events done by spending extra sigils for the stat boost or just getting lucky with RNG? Basically, what is your main complaint about potions?

I realize I could read up on old patch notes but I feel they don’t carry the actual user experience.

There was no stat boost from power potions, and you could not use multiple sigil to increase stats either. Buying extra sigil only allowed more attempts.

I used to try to be top 5-10 on Raid leaderboards prior to potions. Sometimes I would even be top 3, but after potions, it lost its appeal to me. It wasn’t just the stat boost, but also the blessed, enchanted, barrier and explosion potion. They all make a difference.

It took me a hoard of 353 to beat ASE delve prior to potions. There have been others to beat it with a cheaper hoard (199 to name one), but with potions, hoard 100 is possible.

I respectfully disagree with this assertion. Potions have been one of the best additions to gems. They allow players who don’t have all day to grind events the ability to complete things faster. “The challenge is gone” argument doesn’t apply to 99% of players who just want to complete the event easier. If you want an annoying game mode that forces you to play slower, I believe arena is the mode for you :rofl:.

Now if we are talking what hurt the community most maybe we should talk about Epic Tasks lol.

2 Likes

I get your point. However, pre potion, there was a level of integrity associated with LBs. You had to build a team and have the competence to use it. Back then power orb winners spent nothing like the gems or time that they do today. Troop collection if course could affect your capability to seize the day but that is no longer the case. EVERY leaderboard displays only a factor of gem expenditure and “free” time. Its thus been a colossal financial success for the company at the expense of competition based on ability. Teaching kids to buy “success” is a questionable motive. Some kids just can’t afford it. The only valid place for potions is delving.

1 Like

I disagree I am afraid. The fact that your gaming reaches the threshold of burnout is anything but healthy

2 Likes