Whom should YOU craft?

I just wish he didn’t look like a toy with that weird smile thing he’s got going on. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Approaching 4k diamonds. Every troop fully traited and mostly all kingdoms maxed. Only troops missing are X Gard and Jotnar. What would you choose first? GW important. No need to explore anymore.

Jotnar is pretty handy in GW. Don’t have the other two.

Xathenos has given me more trouble when I face it in PVP, and both Xathenos and Gard can be strong on offense. I’ve never used Jotnar in either PVP or GW so can’t offer any feedback there.

I’d go with Gard in a choice between Gard and Jotnar. I’ve gotten more use out of him in GW.

But, it is worth considering your own gameplay choices. Jotnar is far more effective in true damage teams.

1 Like

I would craft Pharos or ketras because that’s the only troops I’m missing

Out of Gard and Jotnar, Gard is the best offensive troop. With mercy, hellcat and alchemist, you will rarely lose against any team. However, that team won’t get you max colours in any GW day. Gard is fragile - if he takes a bit then you can’t rely on him to wipe out the enemy team (although he still can do good damage, and silencing daemons is often invaluable). So on red day, you can pair him with anointed one, alc, and Infernus (for example) as long as you accept that if he gets hit there won’t be any point casting him. For this reason, he’s not reliable in GW as if you’re against a dragon team you can say goodbye to his ridiculously high AOE damage.

Jotnar, on the other hand, is very average, but I do sometimes use him. With Khorvash, Mercy and Abynissia on blue days, he’s great for putting up barriers and finishing troops off. Generally, he’s good in true damage teams as a finisher, but I still find his damage underwhelming as he needs so much support to make a difference to a game.

Jotnar is super slow for general use, but I like him in Guild Wars. Gard is obviously much better for farming. I’ve gotten some limited use out of Gard in Guild Wars as well, but the only real meta threat that Gard effectively neutralizes in one cast is Famine and Kerberos, by silencing them, otherwise you need to run a very tight loop to make sure you don’t take damage before you get your casts in to close out the battle. A properly set up Jotnar can often one-shot Famine/Krystenax or finish off any AoE softened troop as well as minimize the damage you take. I use Jotnar and Euryali generally with two board mod troops to take out their main threat or board mod or whatever has been taking mana and then AoE down the rest.

1 Like

I’ve never found jotnar useful in GW. How do you use him?

Jotnar has one redeeming quality and that is his barrier trait and that alone.
His spell is aweful outside of giant teams, and even in giant teams it tends to deliver less damage/mana than much more efficient true damage troops of much lower rarity.
Best way to use him is in 4-match heavy teams as a barrier bot.

3 Likes

He pairs nicely with Trolls. After one cast normally means at least three barriers.

In GW I use him as @Mithran does, as due to the generally higher HP pool he doesn’t one shot many troops.

EDIT: Sadly Barriers don’t hang around too long in the Wisp/Kraken era… :wink:

1 Like

Which trolls? The trolls that feed jotnar mana cannot be used in GW with him. I find it a waste to use a troop with a mana cost of 22 without a troop to feed it mana. The only Giant that can feed jotnar in gw is jarl on red day, but jarl is way too inconsistent for my taste.

When mentioned ‘paired nicely’ I meant I don’t necessarily use the trolls to feed him, but others, that then may feed him either directly or via cascades. So, Rock troll into Alchemist for example. Forest Troll into Euryali on blue. He pairs nicely with them in the sense that they create a lot of 4+ matches and are also of the Giant type to further boost his damage.

Blue Team for GW that have had some success with: :wink:

Emperor Khorvash
Psion/ or Titan with a Blue weapon
Jotnar
Mercy

Though have been switching out Psion recently with Eye of Xathenos for 50% more starting mana and hard hitting against any bloody Mabs.

4 Likes

Argh. Ketras and Jotnar Stormshield are available this week. Both were high up my list of wants. I am pretty happy with my red, green, and brown GW teams at the moment, so maybe I don’t need Ketras? On the other hand, Jotnar would bump a tanky troop from my blue GW team, shuffling Khorvash into the first slot instead.

Help! Analysis paralysis strikes again! I have 4,000 diamonds burning a hole in my electronic pocket!

Jotnar on a team with a couple solid control troops (eg., converter + troll) are among the “safest” guild wars teams I’ve been able to build, but they generally take me playing the board a whole lot and wasting actions to get my mana up and make sure I leave no openings when I finally strike. Ketras needs to go in hard and strike first to be effective, but with the right setup, it is pretty easy to get him to one-shot range by the time he is full mana. I’d put Jotnar as probably more useful in GW, but pretty much only in GW (super slow in PvP, to make use of barriers require you to carefully choose your openings), while I semi-frequently trot out Ketras in PvP (can be fast, uses a color chain that you can deny meta troops with) and also uncommonly in GW (when I want to keep my action count down and score up, and I think the battle can handle it).

(Note: Jotnar is a troop that benefits heavily from trolls and blob matches, because you can actually semi-frequently get a barrier on the entire party through mass trait fires, unlike pre-Unity when this was a very rare occurrence. There has been a lot of discussion on these topics recently. An alteration of the way blob matches work or a nerf on trolls would significantly drop Jotnar’s usefulness, with no guarantee he would ever be addressed again, so keep that in mind. )

3 Likes

Aw another week waiting patiently for Gard… :pensive:

@efh313 if you havent crafted already:

do you open any mythic-possible chests outside of mythic exclusive weeks? (how likely is for you to get old mythics randomly?)

• if you do, then wait till you get one of the missing ones and craft the other, or wait till you get mats to craft 1,5 of a mythic then craft the first one you are missing that shows up

• if you dont, then wait for pharos, or wait till you get mats to craft 1,5 of a mythic then craft the first one you are missing that shows up

@Grundulum i find jotnar at least a bit fun at a times, never enjoyed keras - so id go with jotnar, i would say neither of them is game changing so take the one you will take more fun with

2 Likes

I need Elemaugrim, Doomclaw, Scorpius and The Worldbreaker. Just got 4k gems and I’m thinking I’ll craft Ele next but does anyone have any advice as to which of these 4 I should go for?

Elemaugrim is on at least one (edit: two. purple and brown) of my GW teams. It’s refreshing to drain the AI’s attack to 0 and let them select useless skulls while I fill my troops. I especially love doing this against Forest Troll and Psion.

3 Likes

Elemaugrim, I use Ele on all of his colours days in GW

2 Likes