What's the point of this Hoard Mimic?

That troop is just to have fun with and for collecting purposes. If they wanted that Troop to be useful then, its 3rd. trait could’ve been along the lines of gaining extra resources from battles. Afterall, it IS a hoard mimic. LOL

This stupid mimic was the final straw for me. If I can’t keep a full collection why should I bother even trying? No more campaign passes for me or anything else anymore I’m now completely FTP. Can’t have a full collection, can’t have kingdoms at max power, can’t medal all troops, can’t upgrade all weapons, can’t max all pets…what a great game.

The only 2 goals I had in this game was keep a full troop collection and keep max kingdom power. Both of these were stripped from me in the same week. I’m glad in a way, made me remember how much fun other games are.

4 Likes

It’s not that bad honestly. I decided this too as soon as Campaign passes appeared:

-Wait for campaign to end, wait 6 more weeks, grind vault keys for tarot + use OoA.
-Wait for mythic to cycle through soul forge (takes a long time; still waiting on Tihamata)

You’ll miss cosmetic pets, some book of deeds, and some (unneeded) weapons, but honestly, when has there ever been anything meta-changing or must-have from the campaign pass? A missing kingdom power level here or there for a few months isn’t going to hurt an end-gamer.

It won’t make this endless grind for the hoard mimic any less painful though. It’s even more irritating than the old 100 gold elite achievement grind, or the more recent cursed rune grind. At least those had quantifiable progress that you could see and track…

1 Like

Personally, I don’t count the troops/pets that are currently paywalled. If I have all troops other than paywalled ones, I consider it a complete collection. :smile:

3 Likes

@NerdieBirdie IMO there is other fun factors in this game to focus on than a few missing troop. Eventually Hoard Mimic and other may come one day. I am planning to do 1-2 hour explores or so every week. If I won’t get the Hoard Mimic, at least I got some tokens.

1 Like

When are you ever going to buff the things that have undershot the mark? Especially all the recent mythics (and plenty of old ones) that have pretty much no use anywhere in the game? I remember you guys buffing the troops in Pan’s Vale once upon a time, but in 3 or 4 years of playing I can’t remember any other time you buffed to correct any of your undershots. I mean i’m sure you did somewhere, but you say that like it happens all the time or something… which everyone knows isn’t the case.

I’ll be frank here, if you act stupid and incompetent you should expect to get blasted. And if you know that you will only be able to act stupid and incompetent then yes, a reasonable approach might be to better not interact at all, unless you enjoy getting blasted. I strongly believe that acting less stupid and less incompetent results in less blasting. Of course, there are other traits to get blasted for, the Internet is creative in that regard, but the usual blasters will have much less of a blast.

@Kafka Some thoughts you might find interesting. Writing a large post takes effort, especially if it’s a well structured one. Yours appears to have received quite a bit of effort, which I appreciate. The problem is the message it carries, that nothing about the Hoard Mimic will be changed, that this topic won’t even get looked at this year, and likely not the next one either. That’s very disappointing for the community, and in a way probably for you too. Messengers aren’t supposed to get shot, especially when walking an extra mile, unfortunately they tend to stand in the way at close proximity when aiming at a distant target.

If you feel like trying to deliver a safer message, the community has been wondering about the Hoard Mimic traits, specifically Armored and Golden Armor, which both reduce skull damage. This looks off, especially since Golden Armor is the skull damage reduction trait exclusive to Hoard Mimic, it could just combine both values. Could you please ask the team if the Armored trait was really set on purpose and to share their design thoughts if this is actually working as intended? My gut feeling says someone picked Armored by accident when trying to select something adjacent, like Arcane or Armor Piercing.

3 Likes

The last balance patch was 1 1/2 years ago I think.

Coming up with interesting, balanced new content that has potential takes time and effort to develop.
99% of GoW consists of throwaway content; because, as Kafka said, it’s cheaper, safer, and simpler to produce undershot content on a daily basis.

The chances of us getting balance patches for older content are slim to none unless they can somehow re-monetise the content in question.

Looking at which troops I actively use in my teams, I believe both creativity and usefulness have gone down over the years. I don’t expect the quality of troops to improve.

Release dates are approximate.

Released before 2018:
alchemist
thrall
dust devil
mercy
sacrificial priest
apothecary
pharos-ra
stonehammer
king silenus
yao guai

Released in 2018:
voice of orpheus
divine ishbaala
sister superior
zuul’goth
scurvy seadog
gimlet stormbrew
wrath
grave seer
leprechaun

2019:
moon rabbit
qilin
daughter of ice
obsidius
drowned sailor
lamashtu
moonsinger
the gray king

2020:
first mate axelubber
malcandessa
child of summer
queen beetrix
mistralus
sycorax
herald of damnation

2021:
the scourge of honor
ironhawk
centuragon

3 Likes

Sure, but on a forum with rules against personal attacks and harsh blasting, such behavior is not acceptable. Yeah, people are always going to throw insults, and you can argue if they’re deserved or not. My point is let’s follow the forum rules and not slam people who likely aren’t even involved in the decision making.

6 Likes

Too one-dimensional. Apparently there are situations where a person receiving such a harsh blasting has earned it to such an extent that even the forum rules are given a time out. Let’s agree to not dig up any dirt to throw here though, it doesn’t serve any purpose.

I remember the earlier days were we got a few buffs frequently. Rather on a monthly basis or so, it happened. If it was 1 or 5 troops. Even most patches had buffs, some nerfs. That was the days.

sorry for correcting you: golden armor isn’t exclusive at all, huanglong got it first.

1 Like

Good catch, and it isn’t even the special third trait for Huanglong, just a standard trait. Maybe Armored for Hoard Mimic is actually correct and the third trait got picked incorrectly? Is there any reasonably new special trait in the data files that’s alphabetically close to “Golden Armor”?

Edit: Found it, “Golden Hoard: Gain 5 Gold when my turn begins”. I’m very sure this was supposed to go to Hoard Mimic instead of Golden Armor.

4 Likes

Being random isn’t what bugs me. Holding up a kingdom from leveling, that bugs me. If they made the troop from The Vault, I’d still play. But keeping me from leveling a kingdom based on an insanely rare event just feels like a slap in the face.

I play. I want rewards for that. THIS is like a Vegas game.

4 Likes

It is like a slot machine which means you can get it too.

But the House always wins in the end…

1 Like

That is right. But it means you can get it too. Just need more grind to get hoard mimic. In slot machine, more bet until you get the jackpot.

You’ve just gotta forget about horde mimic and enjoy the surprise as and when it comes. Grinding explore with ANY expectations to find it will do nothing but frustrate you further.

4 Likes

There are 3 other mythics from Dragon’s Claw, you do not need more.

It still prevents you from reaching maximum power level. So every troop counts!