What do the treasure map masters do(that other does'nt do)?

Ive seen that some has over 200 moves, and I was thinking, mother of god, I can barely reach 30 moves.
So what do you do to reach this crazy amount of moves?

I know there is an easy answer to this: That they have played it a lot, and gained experience.
However its not the answer I am after. I am rather after strategies/tactics they use.

Stare at the board and plan ahead. make sure to account for alot of things. Before you make a move ask yourself these questions “where will these gems drop? If i match these with it cause a cascade? If i match that will it make those next to it match after i make a match? Should i go for the match 5 or the 2 match 4s?
Should i go for extra turns or should i waste turns because i am satisfied with the board i have? If i make these few matches then how far till i hit that trait stone? Did i leave the stove on? Did i pick up the kids? Is April fools day over yet? What is that smell?”

8 Likes

The biggest thing I believe is noticing patterns to match 5’s; not all of them are super obvious. For example, two gold coins up above a match three of silver coins with a gold coin on each side. It can be pretty easy to miss an extra turn like that.

My strategy is to play the center. It is harder to get higher matches on the sides, so I avoid them. Specifically, I play the bottom center, since it is also hard to get a higher match with a chest blocking the spawns on top. You eventually want to end up with all of the caskets and chests at the bottom where they are out of the way.

7 Likes

my strategy to a T
although I usually only get 80 to 150 moves.
failed to mention I have little patience. so spent a little more time and study it more using Utfanx2’s strategy might get you to 200

1. Get the biggest treasures to the bottom of the board : if you have too many chests in the upper part of the board, you won’t make any extra turns as the game only drops coins bags and lower rewards.

2. Matching bigger treasures might not be your end goal if you are after traitstones, but matching 3 chests into one frees some space on the board for lower treasures that have a higher chance of making extra turns

3. Besides, matching gems at the bottom of the board (wich should be your bigger treasures according to 1. ) have more ‘chances’ (well, not chances since you can plan ahead) of causing cascades, the more cascades you make, the more you’ll refresh the board, making room for more chances of getting a free extra turn.

1 Like

One tip which I read somewhere else on the forum, and which I’ve found useful, is this:

(1) Match 5s first
(2) Match 4s from the top down
(3) Match 3s from the bottom up

I also try to think about whether, all things being equal, I should match the lower value or higher value gem. Lower value gems make more matches; higher value gems allow you to push chests down the board or clear space.

1 Like

Aside from the really obvious stuff, I just tried to apply the above… 5 maps, got 70~ on a couple and over 100 moves on the other three. Nowhere near my high score, but better than usual. Think it works…

“(2) Match 4s from the top down
(3) Match 3s from the bottom up”

I’m having a bit of trouble with these pointers. Point #2 does that mean find vertical match-4s? Are vertical matches more favourable than horizontal ones when you have a choice of several? Please clarify.

Also, since the primary advice of the gurus who reach 400+ to 1000 moves is:

Start from the bottom of the puzzle board

Well HOW do you start from the bottom? Do you find the lowest tier Extra Turn and take it, hoping for a cascade to rearrange things above? Do you make minor match-3 rearrangements on the middle of the very last row itself to create a Map-dropping cascade? Do you rearrange things above before you do that critical move (remove as many copper coins first, as I recall).

I am under the impression that the starting TH board generated has a general trigger point, so to speak, that would favour a large initial cascade. It would be a matter of pattern recognition to set the board up to do so. What do you think.

Another thing possibly mentioned was Don’t intentionally match chests higher than green to forestall creation of those unloveable cascade-ending vaults, but I’m having trouble picturing how to prevent accidental match ups if you can’t look ahead to what drops from above. This isn’t exactly like chess where what you see on the board is what you get to work with-- and the mechanic of creating an additional coin/gem every time you remove a match seriously messes me up.

Match 4s from the top of the board to the bottom–if you have multiple match 4s on the board, starting from the top makes it less likely that the board will rearrange itself further down and mix up the match 4s you haven’t gotten to yet.

Match 3s from the bottom of the board to the top because then you have a higher chance of setting off a chain reaction and shuffling the board, which is a good thing when you only have 3s available.

My best treasure maps are still in the ~130 move range. I got two safes for the first time recently. So still room for improvement; but that’s why the simpler rules/guidelines are useful.

1 Like