Best way to Treasure Hunt?

A while ago I wrote a few things and put some forum links with TH advice in a channel on my Guild’s Discord server. I’ll paste it here (re-formatted).

My summary:

Some general tips I’ve found helpful in the past are to:

1. Make as many 5, and then 4, matches as you can, starting at the top of the board and with the lowest denomination - i.e. bronze coins.
  2. If you run out of 4 and 5 matches, try to make a 3 match tending towards the bottom half and middle of the board.
  3. Try to avoid (1) over-developing too quickly and (2) lower denomination treasures at the bottom of the board; aim for homogenisation. The treasures that fall from the top of the board range from bronze coins to money bags at the highest. You have a greater chance of something cascading down and matching if the other treasures up the top are of a similar denomination. If you have too wide a variety of treasure types in the same area, it can be very hard to get a match, particularly in the lower half of the board.
  4. When you make a match, an upgraded treasure remains in the location to which you were matching. For cascading matches, the upgraded treasure appears in the middle of the match (or I guess probably randomised between the middle locations for 4, 6, 8 matches).

I’ve seen some threads on the forums with people much better than me at it posting videos and sharing the odd tip, so I’ll go fetch some of those now :slightly_smiling_face:

Here are some links/videos (haven’t watched all of them, tbh, but have read all the posts :raised_hands:) (afaik boogafreak remains the TH champ):

1. Boogafreak (so you know he’s good), with what I understand to be the current highest (published) turn count in TH (700+!!!), posts videos (~3.5 hours) and small highlights of the matches on pages 2 and 3 of this Steam Community Discussion: What is your personal best turns on Treasure Maps? :: Gems of War General Discussions
    I found watching even just a little bit of one of his videos helpful to see how he approaches it.

2. A tip from Mr.Strange on the forums that helped another user breach 60 turns:

I 100% agree about homogenising (perhaps not the right word, here?) towards Silver/Gold coins for the greatest chance of ensuring matches.

1. Some great basic tips from Shimrra! Mostly covered in what I mentioned above, I think :slightly_smiling_face: but also perhaps one of the better general guides for doing better:
  1. More good tips!

“Patterns” or “structures” (as boogafreak referred to them) seem to be the key to really high scores, kind of like how a very good chess player is familiar with lots of game boards/situations.

Part of a post I made in the Lounge category:

(Note that that ‘project’ hasn’t really gone any further, since Treasure Hunt doesn’t have much incentive :sweat_smile:…)

That thread has some other good pointers:

Good, easy rules of thumb to get more moves (what I’ve seen described as a ‘heuristic’ style of play).

1. Tacet, the most prolific GoW streamer, with a how-to (28 mins): https://youtu.be/A07YnmpWS7g

2. Tacet, aiming for the 2 vaults achievement (15 mins): https://youtu.be/VlxpMfh-sj8

5 Likes