Version 4.3.5 bugs/issues

I apologise for merging a few things together, but I’m simply too busy this week to do things properly.

There seem to be a number of visual alignment/size problems on my iPad6 (running the most recent version of iOS). The screen size is 2048 x 1536, but I’ve shrunk the following screenshot to 50%. As you can see, the spell images have been shrunk in battle; this does not affect the troop images when they’re not at full mana. There’s also big alignment problems with the Troop Filter, but I forgot to screenshot that. Honestly, I think you need one of your internal testers to check every possible screen under this iOS configuration.

I don’t see the same issues on my PC.

Also, when Salty showed us the new battle-information screen on Twitch, I knew there was something I didn’t like about it. Having now watched Tacet trying to use it, I understand what the problems are. I strongly urge you to revisit a couple of aspects of this screen ASAP (and you might as well make all the changes at the same time – it’s a lot more efficient than coming back to the same screen/code multiple times). Specifically:

1. Even if you know the screen exists, it’s not clear how to find it. If you don’t know it exists, you’re very unlikely to find it, except by accident. The reason for both these things is the same: the screen is accessed by clicking the Settings button. But we all know the Settings icon leads to Settings, and certainly not to battle information. Basically, you need to use a different icon.

2. Now that we’ve found the battle information screen (because its icon makes sense), we can no longer find the Settings menu from within a battle (because it doesn’t have an icon visible in the battle). Basically, you need to add a second icon to the battle screen: one for Settings, and a different one for the battle-information screen.

3. If you do 1 and 2, this becomes irrelevant. However, you currently have the battle-information screen icon in the top-right corner but the Settings icon appears in the top-left corner of the battle-information screen. This is truly horrible User Interface design, and I am extremely disappointed that you allowed this to get through to a release version.

4. While the concept of the battle-information screen is superb (and its navigation is awful), there are some truly obvious and critically-important pieces of information missing from this screen – and the omissions are glaringly unprofessional. The following are missing: a) Banners for both teams; b) Hero Classes for both teams (if and only if they contain a Hero); c) a mouse-over/tap explanation of what the Skull means – anything not obvious like this must be explained in-game; d) Game Mode (it currently says CPU instead of Explore or Challenge, which is dumb because we’re always playing against the CPU).

5. Back to a bug: In an Explore battle, I’m seeing 0% Mana Surge Chances for all colours for my opponent. I find it hard to believe this is right. It certainly looks very odd. And it lasts throughout the battle. (Screenshot is from PC, taken at the very start of the battle, and reduced to 50% size.)

6. Since it’s no longer possible to ever see the contribution of a class to Mastery percentages (ever since Classes could be attached to individual teams), I think it would be very sensible to display the full Mastery calculation when we click/tap/mouse-over each of the Mana Surge Chances on this screen.

7. While we’re talking about battle information, Tacet made some excellent observations about the battle Victory (or loss) screen, most of which I’ve been thinking about myself for some time (and have suggested on previous occasions). I suspect it could make a lot of programming sense to revamp some elements of the Victory screen at the same time as you fix the battle-information screen.

Currently, the Victory screen shows: a) player portrait, name, guild; b) opponent details, eg: “Explore mode in Khaziel”; c) visual progress meter towards next Hero Level; d) cards showing all resources gained from the battle; e) buttons for how to proceed, eg: Leave or Play Again in explore mode.

The following are missing and really should be added: a) elapsed time of the battle (an obvious omission, now that we can see it during the battle, but not after); b) progress towards the next Class Level, preferably both visual and with an x/y text overlay, eg: 5/75 (this is desperately needed, since it takes so many steps to find this information); c) total tally of each resource gained from the battle (when I find the Arcane Traitstone I’ve been looking for, I really want to know how many of them I now have, in total); d) the ability to view your opponent’s details and/or the team you just fought in PvP/GW. There’s probably more, but that’s the obvious and important stuff.

I apologise for my somewhat unforgiving tone, here. I’m feeling a lot of frustration that such simple and obvious things have made it through the QA process. As for the Victory screen, I feel we’ve all been suffering without some obvious stuff for a very long time.

I certainly do appreciate the positive changes that have been made, both this patch (eg: adding the battle information screen at all!) and in the past (eg: changing the backgrounds of some cards so we know which Gnome is giving us which reward), but it’s really hard to focus on the positive when such obvious mistakes have been released to the public.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Naturally, I forgot another bug.

1. Specifically on iOS, when you tap the Daily Tasks indicator to show your Daily Tasks, they correctly emerge from the left of the screen. But when you tap it again, the top line fails to retract off-screen. Changing to a different menu doesn’t seem to fix it: the words “Daily Tasks” seem to be constantly visible.

I reported this last bug separately. You can dismiss it by bringing up any other menu feature while the tab ought to be minimized.

1 Like

Here’s another one for the pile. Did you know that the tabs at the right hand side of the screen (for mail, events, etc.) have individual names?

The only way to access them (edit: on iOS) is to click the place where the tab would be as you dismiss another UI element. So (1) click on the “events” tab to bring up the events menu. (2) Click where the “events” tab would be to dismiss the events menu. (3) Notice the word next to the icon, which has never been visible before now!

2 Likes

When in windowed mode, this is what you get in 1280 x 1024

In 1280 by 960 you get this

2 Likes

I am not sure if I should post this here or not, but there’s another related issue with the interface.

Here’s the screenshot, which is pretty much self-explanatory.

Red Summoning (outlined, incorrect and incomplete text)

1 Like

For the record, this image from another thread is pretty much what I’m seeing on my iPad with the Filter:

I’m not getting any mobile notifications since the 4.3.5 update
sometimes had issues with them before with them being delayed or whatnot
but I havn’t gotten a single one since the update

6 Likes

Yep. No Android notifications here, either. Only ones I have on are Pet Rescue and Tribute, but I’m getting nothing since the update. Note that notifications are off on iPad and PC, which is where I actually play – I only use Android for the notifications, and to collect tribute when I’m out.

3 Likes

To add insult to injury, game version 4.3.5 did not fix the missing tags for Revenge battles/Rival thing.
Often when I re-entered the PvP screen, then I see that tag. I guess I’ll have to wait for 4.4 or 4.5 or 5.0.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much how I use my notifications, really sucks to not get the pet rescue ones

3 Likes

I also wanted to add that I too am using Android (v. 8.1.0) and have not gotten notifications since the new update. I have confirmed with some guildmates as well that use Android. Do the devs know? @Saltypatra @Cyrup @Ozball

1 Like

Don’t forget to check the Known Issues list if you’re experiencing an issue and not sure what to do:
https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000954515-Alerts-not-sending-on-Android

Known Issues:

We also mentioned quite some time ago on the Known Issues list it wasn’t possible to fix the Rival/Revenge tags in PVP until 4.4.

Unfortunately we were too far into production for 4.3.5 to slot it into that update.

1 Like

This is an issue I posted as a bug report:

It didn’t happen until 4.3.5.

Thank you for your reply on both the Android Alert and Rival/Revenge issues.

I’m afraid there are two reasons I do not normally check the “Known Issues List”:

1. I don’t know how to find it, and do not remember any obvious links to it during the bug submission process.
  2. Over the last decade, I have submitted in excess of 250 bug reports across at least three games (perhaps as many as 50 for Gems of War). This is the very first time that a bug I have submitted was already in the Known Issues List.

Nonetheless, I will try to remember that it exists, in future.

In the meantime, I would strongly recommend that you remove the “Win 3 Revenge Battles” quest (and any others that are similar) from the potential list of Daily Quests, until the bug is fixed. It should be easy to do as part of a content update.

Thank you.

1 Like

Another screen bug, not necessarily visual. Not seen anything on this one, apologies if replicated.

Since the last few days, on Pc Steam I am unable to click on my own profile in PVP to look at my stats/wins/streaks. I can do this for all other players in Top 100.

After messing around for a while, I found a workaround. To fix you have to mess around clicking on casual, stats, defenders and it will randomly work as normal. It used to work just fine before. Moving in and out of PVP does not fix it.

1 Like

So apparently, there is still a way to identify Revenge battles: the projected Glory rewards are higher than they would otherwise be!

I found this out from a veteran player.

I cannot imagine why it wasn’t the first thing the devs told us to look for, as a temporary work-around until patch 4.4 (when it will hopefully be fixed).

1 Like

Little downgrade in 4.3.5 its not possible anymore to change sound volume during a battle.

It may still be possible, but you have to click through two levels of menu, with icons at opposite extremes of the screen. I don’t understand this kind of UI design.

Anyway, try clicking the top-right cog to open the battle info screen, then click the top-left cog to get to settings. If adjusting volume doesn’t work at that point (eg: slider won’t move or gets ignored until after battle ends), I suggest posting a separate bug report.

1 Like