Update 2.0.1 Preview

Impervious is NOT OP with this change… think about it… Maw will automatically hit a target that doesn’t have Impervious! Sooo 1 to 3 Impervious no problem it will hit that 4th target automatically. (It has to, it’s like “cannot be targeted unless no other targets” it finds a VALID target all the time)

It’s screwing mana burn WAYYYY more then devour!

An entire Impervious defense ? Sure , just bring stun effect + Maw the stun target … your welcome :wink:

The trouble with Maw has been that the third trait is impossible to effectively defend against. His spell requires so much mana that there are a number of ways to mitigate, but that third trait has had no effective counters. So now we have:

• Impervious
  • Indigestible
  • Entangled (since Frenzy will no longer break it)
2 Likes

It was already stated that Stun can not counter Impervious.

Oh good… minor cool stuff coming…

My thoughts:

• Explore - hmm, cool enough, but won’t it be too easy? Just a random ‘challenge’ battle against a non-meta team with distorted lucrative rewards… will it damage guilds by distracting players from farming gold or trophies? who knows… I do think the battles should be beefed up a bit though… @sirrian?
  • Dual types - yep, at last… and what the hell is a Stryx? (I know it’s a bird / owl-type humanoid in most mythos - do we have any yet?)
  • Web effect - feels unlikely to have much impact…
  • Stun - same, marginal impact and will wear off before anyone notices…
  • Death Mark - interesting, but my crystal gem-ball foresees lots of 'em popping up on defence teams and lots of recall bias causing hurt to my ears here…
  • Entangle - good rework, at last…
  • Impervious - now overpowered, I am with @yonizaf on that… and Mana Burn and Devour are not status effects… still, a few more counters to being Maw-ed to death would be good…
  • Indigestible and Mana Shield - will these be scattered onto existing troops to be noticeable? @sirrian?
  • ZK rework - sounds good
  • Assassin class - cool - red/purple or red/blue slant to bonuses?
  • new kingdom - excellent, about time :slight_smile:

Cheers

2 Likes

Everything looks good here. Removing marauder but adding goblin now makes it seem like Goblin Rocket will get their full bonus on a goblin team, which theoretically could buff goblins even more since that was one of the major reasons not to use goblin rocket. I LOVE explore mode. Cannot wait for the console to get this patch!

Ohh i missed that part.

I think tho that a full impervious team would be very weak since there is not many options to make a full team impervious… unless they start adding way more cards with it.

Current impervious troops:

Dryad, Golem,Fortress Gate, Carnex, Herdmaster, Behemoth , Tau, War Sphinx, Dragon Cruncher, Dwarves Miner, Dwarves Slayer, Swamplash,
Plague … I might have missed a few.

Hi. The “explore” and more mini-games options are music to my ears since I play primarily for fun and relaxation (yeah, plundering, pillaging, etc. are ways in which I unwind).

@Sirrian Two questions:

1. Explore in Zhul’Kari will also have increased opportunities for treasure maps? And

2. Will the traits for defunct classes like “Allied Marauders gain 2 life” that we have already crafted be automatically applied to the new traits on the cards? I’d hate to lose the traits I have already worked so hard to craft like the fully traited cards that will now have completely different traits.

1 Like

Well… I think those that created Maw and Mab game broken threads will need to edit them to read ‘Plague’ now instead. Be prepared for a few new ones regardless :pensive:

1 Like

Hmmm, the effects work differently for the two problem / OP troops.

Maw is horribly not-fun to play against. Gaining troops that are immune to being eaten will allow players invading to build teams that can’t be wiped by pure fluke RNG, so at the high end players will now win 99.9% of games instead of 96.3%… of course that relies on enough Impervious troops… but Carnex, Behemoth and Herdmaster makes a sound start to a team… Meanwhile players invading using / abusing Maw will need to switch up a second team if too many Impervious/in-Mawgestible enemies are on defence… So overall to me this feels a positive step for fun-ness, and if Maws no longer have that rage-inducing insta-win from RNG, people will hopefully stop putting them on defence, so viva variety, I guess…

Mab meanwhile, is no problem on defence: she’s OP as hell but not really a threat in the hands of the dopey AI, which will rarely combo her effectively… If I see Mabs on defence, I don’t change my team now, so I don’t think I will bother making an Impervious/ManaShield team as a combo… but then in the hands of a player, she’s the best attacking troop by a very long distance (Valk/Mab/Mab trivialises any battle unless you get Mawgested - and the fourth troop hardly matters, you could put my Aunt Doris in the fourth slot), so again we may see Impervious defences being put up to stop the Mab steamroller… but they’ll still be easy enough to beat with normal skull damage or spell damage teams like in the olden days…

Overall… probably positive and I hope will bring more variety to both defence line-ups and viable attack team options…

Though like @zachraziel I see an in-flux of Plague defence teams ahead…

7 Likes

i think this is the best “new word” i have ever read! thanks @Jainus

1 Like

Fully traiting all troops in the game now seems do-able for an F2P player.

1 Like

that’s what my completionist cdo (its in alphabeticall order - like its supposed to be) is saying!

1 Like

Hopefully so, but it’s not evident. Mab has that odd wording and was not changed despite our asking – that more implies all its damage considered mana burn. Despite in usual situation most of it comes from magic. And it would render her completely hosed by an all-imprevious def team.

They are completely immune to ALL damage from the Mana Burn, that is why we worded it that way originally, so the Magic is actually PART of the Mana Burn.

This actually makes you pick your attackers though, which I think is a GOOD thing:

1. If they have an Impervious troop? Take Mab, she’s still awesome, but support her with a nuke like War, or Dwarven Slayer
  2. If they’re ALL Impervious, don’t use a Mab team! Full-Impervious teams aren’t that hard to beat, you just won’t be able to faceroll them with a Mab/Valk combo.
9 Likes

Sounds like it, instead of curing the root cause of the 2 year old mistake, it gets another pass of workarounds. While with less effort the att and mag values could be left the … alone while the effect applying a 0* factor whenever they are used instead of the regular 1*. What would both make sense thematically and allow all other effects work like expected.

Still no clue what’s gonna happen to GobChomper.

He now works specifically against Goblins

2 Likes

Maw NOT on defense … Gorgotha slot 1 invade
Maw on defense … Golem slot 1 invade … go ahead and skull dmg all day my golem lol

Now AI will really have a hard time to win… the Invade success rate will be increased.

Is this the beginning of the archer class being played on AI since Bullseye has NO COUNTER unlike hunger ?

1 Like

Status effect - Wikipedia
From this article which i know is from wikipedia and not a very credible source the defining term for status effect lumps both devour and mana burn under status effect. At least the way i understand it devour actually does not end when the spell or trait finishes activation. Devour actually stays active as it does a status effect of “buffing a troop” which is therefore not an instant effect. Mana drain is a little harder to defend though but i will try.

In role-playing games, a status effect is a temporary modification to a game character’s original set of stats that usually comes into play when special powers and abilities (such as spells) are used, often during combat which means that mana drain altering mana amount of a troop is only temporary because they can regain mana latter on which in this time frame would be as early as the next turn.

beneficial effects are referred to as buffs, and hindering effects are called debuffs. So in this case devour is a buff and mana burn is a debuff and because status effects are lumped into these 2 categories it is safe to assume that impervious is and should encompass these two effects.

Status effects may result from one character performing a certain type of attack on another, this would be considered an instant status effect and as such charm should be apart of impervious.

Some games offer permanent status effects which persist for an entire level and act as modifications to the game’s native difficulty. This would be an example of devour lasting until the end of a game as his buff does not actually expire in any way.

As far as everything with the update, i look forward to using my buffed up zhul’kari team as tyri is ready to strike and be stronger.

New Mode: Explore

Definitely improvement for those who was farming. Will now gain arcane in 30 games instead of 90, yey. And playing a mix of battles is kinda bonus, in theory at least.
For those not into farming, 16 or 12 arcanes still far so out of reach, the feature will be ignored for good.

And PLEASE provide the actual drop rates. A can be on tooltip or button to keep the interface as is – but 3x unknown is still unknown. Fair thing is to be straight.

Dual Troop Types + fallout

Great. Makes perfect sense theme-wise. And the attached team bonus might be relevant on the low levels too.

Status Effects

Looks okay on paper, we’ll see in actual action. Though entangle and web should work the proper way as I said in a previous post, it’s painful to see the original bug multiplying.

Trait Changes

Indigestible would have be more sense as suggested, part of huge or something.
Mana shiled should cover both burn and drain.

And we arrive to Impervious: this is just PLAIN AWFUL idea. Even if comes with reassignment and mythics lose this trait. Most arguments were already said. The current (and some past) defense teams had a deal of annoying elements but we will cry all them back once all-imprevious teams start dominating.

I really hope this one gets pulled from the patch.

Mini Game Button

Yey. I just wish the minigames got some actual love finally too.

New class and kingdom

Honestly I could not care less. At least on this level, if one of the troops will be on Mab level, certainly would get a double YEY, but looking at the latest troops design remain skeptic.

TLDR: Scrap the impervious idea for good, pretty please.