Update 2.0.1 Preview

I feel like this needs to be said, but other than the question about Impervious everything in this preview looks awesome. It’s easier to complain than to compliment, and I will even overlook my hesitation about Impervious if news is released that the flashing rewards button of endless irritation has been dealt with.

6 Likes

New mechanics look like fun to play with, Explore mode is great, and changes to Death Mark are appropriately scary (especially considering what’s just around the corner…). I am looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I’m very excited for the 2.0.1 update now! I didn’t expect all these changes to come with a minor update. I really appreciate the explore mode. It will make farming for traitstones far less tedious since you can fight different troop lineups. Also, I think dual troop types are quite logical and will make for even more interesting team building.

I’m really happy that entangle will be fixed so that it doesn’t break from attack buffs. The changes to death mark make it a viable strategy now. Stun and web are also welcomed additions to the game so that you have more strategy options. Likewise, I’m in the camp that likes that impervious troops will be immune to devour and mana burn.

1 Like

So… maybe I’m missing something here.
But what exactly is the point of Web?
If you want an effect that counters Magical abilities… isn’t there Silence already?
Plus alot of abilities have default Damage value on top of the Magic Value. So Web is actually Worse than Silence?

Or is Web only there to provide a theme for the Zul’kari troops?

Silence is a hard effect to distribute, since it can stall out games (playing against TSO is extremely boring). Web feels much easier to balance, IMO.

Mana Burn Troops still do damage, they just don’t get additional damage scaled off their Mana. Seems fair to me.

Quite frankly, anything that reduces Maw and Mab use is a MASSIVE improvement. Unless you rely on those Troops, of course. If you rely on those Troops, there are 200+ other Troops out there you aren’t using, go play with those.

With a little thinking and strategizing (GASP!) you can still win, even quickly if that is your priority

The thing is, the “nerfs” (counters, really) to Mana Burn and Devour will actually make several previously-weak troops even weaker (basically, those that provided either Mana Burn or Devour that were not Mab and Maw). Above was suggested a gentle nerf to the specific troops in question. I’m not sure where you’re reading the desperation of lifetime Maw/Mab champions, because I don’t see it here.

4 Likes

I just want to check, but from what I read, it only seems logical : @Sirrian, we still can’t lower the ‘real’ attack of an entangled troop, meaning Sylvasi still can’t steal attack to an entangled troop, right?
And the same applies to web, for example, a webbed unit can’t have its magic lowered by Moloch or Plague’s third trait, right?

What is your source for this? The way I read the spell description of mana-burning troops, all of their damage is considered mana burn, and they will do no damage.

I would like a dev confirmation about this. What says you, @Sirrian?

I never said I was bothered by the effect it would have on me. You just assume that, and base your answers on that assumption, which is not true. I will handle anything the patch will throw at me, I just don’t like it when the changes make no sense.

will difficulty be used on explore like challenges?

I would assume so… I don’t see why not.

Will refunds be available for all troops that are effected by these changes? Cause that would be almost each and every troop available.

Why would they offer refunds for troops that haven’t been nerfed? I suppose the only ones that could even be considered nerfs “might be” some of the changes coming to troops in Zhul-Kari.

i want a refund on mab and maw

1 Like

If everyone who was classified as a marauder is now not a marauder anymore, they wont work in every combination they used to, which is why they all got nerfed. Even though it might not effect every player.

EDIT: Same goes for everyone who dealt special damage to marauders - GobChomper is the only one that comes to my mind now.

Good luck with that. I’m pretty sure they didn’t offer refunds to goblin users when they released 1001 counter troops and weapons to goblins.

EDIT: in response to Justakid’s comment

been begging for a refund all button… make it just traits or traits and lvls – i dont care. i would pay real money for it… to be able to redistribute everything? you betcha.

I think the most elegant solution is to keep Impervious as-is, and nerf Maw, Mab, and Mercy. Buffing Impervious is taking a shotgun to a knife fight; it does a disservice to the trait and to every troop that isn’t Maw/Mab (i.e., is balanced).

It’s not clear to me if the on-hit effect bug is finally being fixed, but I think that plus a Mercy nerf would fix Maw. Mercy needs to be Fast not Empowered; there should simply never be an Empowered generator or else it’s bound to lead to everyone creating teams to exploit it and thus leading to a stale meta. I also agree with @Shimrra that Mab switched from Arcane to Water Spirit would be a great incremental change (in addition to introducing counters).

2 Likes

Traitstones–I don’t think people need to panic about players traiting their troops so quickly that they lose interest in the game. Right now I play pretty regularly & I’m still traiting one or two troops a week. It will take me years to trait all the troops, assuming I continue playing at the same rate.

Mana burn is a great counter to troops that have high-cost, massive damage spells. Over the past couple of months I’ve been really grateful that we got Mana Burn before the mythic troops showed up–if those Apocalypse troops get their spells off, it’s pretty devastating.

A nerf to Mana Burn does make me nervous. I don’t pretend to know what’s best for the game but I expect to be skipping matches with Plague.

1 Like

I’m still a little worried about the Explore Mode, but much less so now that others have pointed out the flaw in my logic. If it is in fact more interesting battles that take 3x as long for 3x the reward then that seems totally fine to me. I’d even be fine if it’s a little more efficient than that. I just don’t want to see player complaints about Arcanes lead to making them ez mode to the detriment of the long-term retention of players (and thus the community and the game). It’s certainly a fine line to walk between frustrating enough to keep players playing and to cause them to jump ship.