Update 2.0.1 Preview

This is why we need instruction manuals, people like think games should require either such simple mechanics that you don’t have to read, or point-by-point explanations of every little detail

Don’t be silly, it will read “immune to anything that has an info textbox (except “one shot spell”)”.
100% intuitive !

This game has been accessible without a “manual” up to this point. Why would that change now? But this is veering into philosophical territory that threatens to derail the subject. I believe Impervious is becoming a catch-all “block everything we give a name to” effect, when it made more sense as a status effect counter.

Expecting an in-game term to fit its universal definition is much more reasonable than you make it to be. Needing a manual just because a game decides to use common terms in a different way to their usual definition, that’s what’s ridiculous.

But untrue. Charm and True Damage (and maybe some others) have a tooltip as well, but are not included.

1 Like

The new description actually reads: Immune to all Status Effects, Devour, and Mana Burn.
I think that’s pretty clear.

6 Likes

How is making counters to OP mechanics better/easier than just rebalancing them again @Sirrian?

EDIT: That’s how

It seems like adding Mana Burn and Devour to Impervious is a really big overreaction. The problem isn’t Mana Burn, there are troops with Mana Burn that aren’t OP. The problem isn’t Devour, there are troops with Devour that aren’t OP. The problem is Mab and Maw.

Change Maw’s 3rd trait to something that isn’t Devour on every skull swing, and change Mab’s spell to work like Blade Dancer, summing team mana and randomly distributing the damage. Neither of those would be as overpowered as they are now. No one is crying for a Blade Dancer nerf, or for Impervious to work vs armor-based damage.

5 Likes

I was obviously joking and didn’t think this through :wink:

I gotta say, I’m on board the anti-Impervious train. Buffing Impervious to the point where it’s nonsensical doesn’t strike me as a good solution. Maw and Mab need a nerf.

I think the Arcane farming might be a little too generous. Players have complained since Traits were introduced so I understand why, but making them easier to get just means removing a reason for players to stick around. I hope, at the very least, the battles are really challenging, like a Mega-Gorgotha battle every time or something.

Those issues aside, I really like all of the stuff that’s incoming for this “minor” update. Death Mark is gonna be nasty and Herald of Chaos is suddenly looking like a really strong troop.

1 Like

Dual Troop Types…FINALLY! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Of all the changes, this one excites me most. More team composition options for those of us that like to look for synergies instead of straight power.

1 Like

@Sirrian so is this preview comprehensive, or are there still some nuggets yet to be revealed? Not saying this isn’t a great update, just curious :slight_smile:

Even jokes need to work somehow. If I was to suggest something of that sort, I’d say “Immune to anything that had a trait immune to it” or such.

It will depend on the kinds of battles spawned. Right now people farm the challenges they can just spam kill with no fun for around a 1-2% drop rate.

Even if that goes to 6%, the battles may take 3x as long, so around the same yield, but with fewer more fun battles.

2 Likes

Its just triple droprate,its not like you are going to get a lot,2x3 is still 6%,so still pretty low.

My notes show:
Minor - 59%
Major - 29%
Runic - 9%
Arcane - 2%
Celestial - 1%

Assuming x2, x3, x3 for Runic, Arcane, Celestial and the Minor/Major ratio staying constant I get

Minor - 48%
Major - 25%
Runic - 18%
Arcane - 6%
Celestial - 3%

+/- 1%

4 Likes

I don’t think they need a nerf (Mana Burn is far and away NOT the reason I avoid Mab teams – am I alone in this?). I agree that extending Impervious seems like a less thematic solution than others I’ve seen proposed. Making size a deterrent to devour seemed neat, and the recent suggestion that Maw’s third trait would only trigger on lethal skull damage seems good also.

I am totally willing to wait and see how this changes the metagame (hellooooo, Golem!), but I’m dubious at this stage.

1 Like

After going through the anti-Impervious opinions in here I may have to take that side as well…

I mean, my initial reaction was basically ‘oh thank a deity of your choice I don’t have to deal with Maw/Mercy/Mab all day’. But thematically it just doesn’t fit. And its a giant slap in the face to every other Devour and Mana Burn troop. Jackelope is reasonably well balanced, for instance, and I see that one guy running Sand Shark in defence …

Add the part where Impervious is now covering more new status effects (Stun and Web) and older effects that have either been improved (Death Mark, Entangle) or had their distribution increased (Disease, given Plague is a thing now).

Basically, its back to a point where Impervious is Carnex’s god-like trait, only now its in comparison to the legendary traits and its more valuable than his own third trait. Obviously this scales with the usefulness of the troop itself, but I can see Carnex-Behemoth cores roaming around very easily.

Rather than totally shifting things against Maw and Mab (which I still don’t totally mind) I would prefer to see them just be balanced. For example…

Change Maw’s trait to be on kill instead of 15% on hit (as was suggested days or weeks ago) and possibly raise the cost by a bunch. Seriously, that particular change for his third trait has so much going for it - it improves the player experience on both ends of the playing field.

Change Mab to, I don’t know, be less scary - 12 blues for the extra turn instead of 10, cost slightly more (16 or 17 even), or my personal favorite - lose Arcane (she can have Water Spirit or something in exchange, that’s still stronger than most other board-wiping troops).

And I’m still open to nerfing Mercy as well - in ways that let her keep Empowered, such as raising her cost and the life gain ratio.

4 Likes

I’m convinced now that the majority of the anti-Impervious crowd is just mad they lost their Easy Buttons.

1 Like

You said yourself that Impervious blocking True Damage is ‘ridiculous’, but failed to answer how is it any different than Mana Burn. I’m still waiting for that explanation…

Meh, I can’t work my jokes, my english and do my actual job at the same time !

I didn’t take the time to start the game and check the info box of every units when I shouldn’t even take the time to read the forums at the moment :blush:

2 Likes