Upcoming Epic Guild Tasks (in 4.7)

pvp … a lot … like 8k games total

Well, if they want players to quit in large numbers, as this “update” stands now, this nerf is a great way to accomplish that.
You can’t pour syrup on a cow pie and call it pancakes.

14 Likes

From Patch to Patch the game gets grindier and grindier. I think Sirrian himself was talking - not so long ago - about it and he was saying something like this:
“We’ll give the players so much to do that it’s impossible to do all.” (That’s what I remember, so don’t blame me - I might be incorrect in this point.)

Last time:

1. Give everything useless a “Gem value”.
  2. Cut Gems

This time:

1. Give everything useless an “Event Key value”.
  2. Cut Event Keys

The calculation itself is - of course - super secret. Simple as that.

2 Likes

I’m foreseeing more of a middle-class player exodus. The players in guilds who actually manage to get a handful of LTs (not the piles of LTs top tier guilds get) are the ones being nerfed the hardest. A lot of players are going to go from being in a LT guild to not being in a LT guild overnight, and even if it’s just optics, seeing tasks go unfinished every week is going to burn people out.

The relative minority of players who get LTs now going to shrink by an order of magnitude, and it’s entirely by design. LTs are uncapped resources, and uncapped resources are bad, blah blah blah economy blah blah blah.

The publisher will truly show their hand when we start seeing more Flash Offers for packs of Keys to make up for the loss of LTs.

15 Likes

Endgamers have already paid their money. New gamers are the ones that still have their money in their pocket. So in most cases it might be “healthy” for a game to get rid of Endgamers - from an economic point of view.

Once again they manage to polish a turd and present to us as a diamond.
I have to commend this… it’s a skill-set i lack.

In all seriousness though, does our opinions even matter when the game has been going against the community at every turn?

The only thing i see from this (even ignoring the rubbish rewards) is

• it puts more strain on the hardcore base
• it isolates the casual / semi-casual base

After the medals were introduced i lost 10 end-gamers because they thought the extra farming was not worth the time and i see it having worst impact when 4.7 is introduced.

This is a 3 match game…
No matter how much you change the mechanics or add glorius things, the fundamental is the same.
Why not keep it simple and fun for the players instead of continuously adding endless grinds for reduced rewards.

Before considering the long term sustainability of the game i do wish they would consider the large impact this will cause in short term.

45 Likes

We will ever
see a guild counter of total GOLD and LT completed ?

2 Likes

Well said! If I could give you more then 1 Like I would do it!

1 Like

Yikes! :fearful:

2 Likes

This update is going to kill the upper-middle guilds. Those guilds in brackets 3-10 or so.

There are a lot of players out there…in here…myself included…that have the resources and abilities to be in top guilds, but choose to be the big fish in lower guilds. There are many reasons for this like guild war or event pressure. For myself I enjoy teaching the game to newer players. I’m in a guild that has made its focus to share and teach to bring others up to a higher level. We currently do about 10 LTs a week which is enough. This change will mean that we’ll now struggle just to complete all the tasks. This will put these “big fish” in a dilemma of choosing between needed resources and stats boosts and continuing with their current guild. All this is going to do is create a bigger gap between the top guilds and the rest.

Overall this is bad for the game

25 Likes

That’s a bad plan, when forums are awash with established players complaining over monetary greed and endless sinks. In the age of the internet, any gain, is short lived once a new player realises the task ahead. The consequences of this prospective change is probably harsher than most, potentially maybe even harsher than they dreamed, and therefore negative publicity is actually something the devs won’t want.

For a start a mass exodus of unhappy players will usually be followed by negative reviews/comments and forum posts which will be a deterrent to new recruits I would guess. Normally, it’s as you say, but the game is 5 now, its not new and shiny, like newer releases.

2 Likes

I think your assessment hits the bullseye. For guilds that have worked their way up to completing some but not a tremendous amount of Legendary tasks, this is going to be incredibly deflating. I happen to be a member of such a guild. Some time ago,we were not able to finish more than a couple of guild task trees. We have slowly but steadily worked to the point where we are now getting a few LTs a week. Although we are not completing that many, we were thrilled when we reached that threshold. I cannot speak for my guildmates but the upcoming Epic tasks really takes the wind out of my sails with the way they apear. Based on where we are, my guild will seemingly be hardly able to make a dent in the Epic tasks. Perhaps, as mentioned above, there will be a reveal where players will be able to accumulate significantly more gold but I have serious doubts about this possibility.
From my vantage point, it would be a bit less devastating of a change were additional skill points not attached to completing the Epic tasks. This will be painful to compete against in PvP, GW etc.
I really believe this could gut a portion of the player base. This gutting could impact mid-game players as well as end-game players that are a bit more casual in their playstyle or are not members of a “power” guild. I have been playing this game for almost three years. This is the very first change that has been previewed that has made me question whether it was time to retire and move on. And this is from a player that would not have remotely considered quitting two days ago.
Hopefully, we are overreacting and we will be relieved when everything is revealed but I am not overly optimistic at this point.

16 Likes

I’ve heard this reasoning given before across different games. However, in my experience, it isn’t always true. Most of my friends in the game are endgamers and the vast majority of them still spend money on flash offers. A good percentage of them have VIP levels far above VIP 5. So, I don’t think pushing endgamers out of a game is a good business strategy.

8 Likes

Ditto
I was just talking with someone about doing exactly that.

2 Likes

This have been the worst reaction I have seen from the forum just after some thing is spoiler. Even worse than the Stormcaller trait

After I finished posting, I went back and read the one you posted before me. I am in an almost identical situation. We have a diverse guild with a great core of long term players that have worked together to build an enjoyable environment. We helped newer guild members learn the ins and outs of the game who, in turn, assisted other newer players. Many of us have the resources to transition to a “power” guild like you do but we have enjoyed the niche we have carved out. It seems like the game may be leaving players like you and me behind. :frowning:

10 Likes

I’m part of a family of guilds, and 3 of our 4 active guilds will be impacted by this change. I’m sure other guild families are facing similar issues.

Given that my assumption is that this is an intentional nerf on “unrestricted resource gain”, I really doubt we’ll see any change to gold gained. Ironically, I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the motivation for this change comes from the fact that higher level Explores are a solid option for grinding gold now for those of us who hate the grief-fest that is PVP. That’s just me dusting off my tinfoil hat, though.

3 Likes

It’s a reasonable to assume that epic tasks would cost 2x compared to current tasks (the first epic task is 10k gold while the first usual task is 5k gold).
If that’s is true all guilds will receive 31 less legendary tasks every week (or will forget about the existence of legendary tasks if they had less than 31) which at average equals to 0.15 mythics, 100 gem keys, 30 event keys, 230 glory keys and 3k glory. It’s quite a lot and the rewards from epic tasks are not impressive at all:(

6 Likes

My guess is the devs see some of us with a substantial amount of keys and gems. And they feel the need to drain us somehow. They would like to see everyone with low resources so we may feel like the microtransactions available are worth our money. In the end, I think they will just end up driving many players away from the game.

12 Likes

This is depressing. I was thinking of doing a x-mas gold drop to complete a couple of LTs for the first time, and this is what we get. Makes me think about leaving my guild (less than 5 people reach 1500 seals, what is up with that!?) and joining one of the more organized ones.
And here I was thinking that the devs would probably launch something cool for x-mas, like an event or a lootsplosion of some kind somewhere…

4 Likes