There's something needs to be changed in Guild Wars brackets

Whom should I tag then?

No one, because as you would have been told in response to your ticket, the Designers may not reply here but they do read this section.

I’m not pulling a designer off their work to make 1 player who is being rude to others in their thread feel validated. I’d prefer they are doing their job.

^ on that note, this is a reminder that if you can’t be civil any longer the thread will be closed.
You’re free to post your opinion here but so is every other forum user.

7 Likes

Yeah… Vaguely helpful… That’s more than truth. Why do you even called user experience expert? And what this forum exists for? Threatening to close the thread? Very user-oriented.

1 Like

I’ve been active in a couple of feedback threads recently.

Just so you know the other thread was very civil, I even showed them my report for their feedback request and they helped me write it together.

That could have been your thread too, but you thought you could be rude so now instead of discussing ideas we’re in this back and forth about your behaviour instead and I’m concerned that other players won’t want to discuss ideas with you any more because you’re being unreasonable.

Being told your ideas are “idiotic” or to “move on” makes for a poor user experience you see.

Can we go back to the topic now?

So I have it in everyone’s own words, what would you classify as a dead or inactive Guild?

Some people have said a Guild with 4 members shouldn’t be matched with a 30 member Guild, I think a couple of us at least either disagree or aren’t sure, because a 30 member guild may still not be as active in Guild Wars as the 4 member Guild.

A Guild that scores 0 in Guild Wars will be demoted under the current system, but obviously not fast enough I think everyone is in agreement on that point? If it was your Guild that scored 0, honestly, how far do you think you could drop before you think you’d feel it was unfair?

How does everyone feel about commitment to 1 Guild War vs every Guild War for 2 years? Is it only the Guilds in the top 3 brackets who care about that or do some of the mid level guilds like that being at the top of Guild Wars means you not only earnt your stripes but you’ve probably been working your butt off for a long time to stay up in the top 30 guilds? Does that make it feel better when you climb? Or do you just get frustrated by the wait to get up there with them?

2 Likes

You’re omitting the fact that other players provided their ideas, to which you didn’t pay any attention, decided to concentrate on my behavior. Just for the record: I will not be apologizing to those whom I offended not because I’m stubborn or disrespect them, but due to the fact that they didn’t even bother to read the thread before posting their “brilliant ideas” some of which have already been dropped not only by me, but by the other thread participants.

Moreover, I think that noone else posted here any more ideas simply because they are tired of waiting for any sign of a feedback from devz.

The guild that does not participate in GW even if registered. Threshold might differ - for 2-3 occasions in the row they might be disbanded from participation or put to the lowest bracket on registration

Considering the abovesaid my guild will be ok if demoted drastically even on the first occasion of scoring 0 and it is fair for those guilds who are striving to reach maximum points during GW

Don’t take me wrong, but check the timespan of these guilds. They are since the beginning of the game, where everything was totally different. I’m playing 1 year and reached my level during this period whereas some players were reaching their millenial badge for several years.

Another example - there was a guild in top 5 - the Dothraki, which recently got disbanded and there were 1 member who stayed in this guild, renaming it to Just The Best and 29 others who created their own, named Not The Best. Within one wee they have reached top 200 by trophies however, I guess it will be long and painful way for them to get at least to the 3rd or 2nd bracket.

No it does not, especially when you are climbing without any efforts. Our guild might not even play all 6 days of GW, but a single one to score enough points to jump to another bracket. But it is not worth it. War is good when the enemy is a match.

P.S. I still think that the idea of joining another guild suggested in this topic is idiotic as the topic was created for the sake of the guild I play right now.

@Rosenkreuz1979 your guild is not more special than another guild, and as you are both facing the same problems you could have easily jumped onto the other thread.

Kafka has taken time to be civil with you, and this discourse is going in circles. Unless you would like to continue contributing to this thread in a constructive way, I will be closing it.

You have a lot of anecdotes, but little in the way of concrete suggestions. In your opinion, what parameters would you use to change how things are? Use numbers and dot points and please be as succinct as possible. Eg,

This is an anecdote, not actionable feedback. Something more helpful to your cause would be to distil this further. For example,

• It takes a long time to gain ranks. I propose that if a top guild remains mostly inactive for 2 weeks they be demoted x amount of brackets. (This also calls into question which brackets are the ones we consider as containing the top guilds.)

I understand that it is frustrating to gain ranks for new guilds, but we cannot penalise older guilds because of this. If you can think of a fair solution, please share it with us.

Please be aware that this is a forum, and others are welcome to post their own ideas, lend their voice to yours, or even disagree with you.

With all due respect, please read the hole thread. There were several inputs from the participants, including even the formula proposal. You may close this thread as even to me there’s too much focus on how “uncivil” I am instead of getting to the point.

It seems that the whole discussion has taken the wrong turn if only such kind of behavior brings the topic to your attention. I’ve been working as QA for many years, and this rings a bell. And here’s why: This thread is in the feature suggestion thread, so generally it should attract some attention of Ux, Cx team, but only when it comes to a conflict it works.

I’m not telling that my guild is better than others, but I’ve provided the concern that should somehow be addressed.

So, please share some time to read through the thread and give your vision of what can be implemented or not.

1 Like

As already mentioned, we don’t have any news about what can be implemented or not but the feedback from this thread and other similar discussions from the past has already been passed on.

When I told you this last time you started being rude, please don’t do it again.

When we have news it will be posted, but likely not in this thread because at that stage it will more likely be an official post or opening a new clean discussion about a very specific set of ideas presented by the team which we want to have in our own OP so it’s easy for players to find and join in the discussion.

We are more than happy for the discussion here amongst the community to continue if it remains civil, we like hearing everyone’s thoughts but we have nothing to add in an official dev capacity at this time.

Guild Wars is about competition. Guilds are placed in a bracket, and face each other in glorious combat. The winners move up, the losers move down. And the non-participants continue to earn rewards ‘because they used to be active’.

I watched a Salty stream once. i can has some moar codes please? jk, I’m Xbox; codes are for PC/Mobile. And you have to watch live…

My guild used to finish all Tower of Doom reward stages. i can has free rewards? No?

Ah, but GW is different. No partipation required. Although players do only have 6 days to claim rewards, so if a hypothetical guild existed that hasn’t earned a trophy the last two GW weeks, only individuals that log in daily would notice that a bounty was available to collect.

My solution? It’s in another thread. I’m not here to punish top guilds. Or active ones. How would I define a dead guild? I’d say if a guild’s score is less than 1% of the average score in its bracket, then it is ‘competing’ in the wrong bracket. Move it to a bracket where it can compete.

I’m assuming my feedback/solution has already been passed on, and not passed over. I wish you all the best.

And if you could send a few extra Dooms and Forge scrolls my way, I’d be much obliged. A couple gems, a code that works for Xbox…

3 Likes

Right now there is nothing to prevent a guild that scored 1.3 million last month to face a guild that scored 200k last month.

Here is a typical bracket

It took these guilds 6 months+ of going through the system to wind up in bracket 36, yet the matchups are so lopsided because how long a guild has been participating is such a bigger factor than if your guild is actually good or not.

If it was done properly, all 10 guilds in any given bracket would have a chance of winning, but this is just 2 guilds competing to see how badly they can beat up everyone else. There is nothing to even ensure the 2 top scoring guilds in a bracket play against each other.

4 Likes

FOR GUILD WARS PURPOSES ONLY, I would say a dead guild is any that does not score any points or any guild that does not post at least 10% or so of the bracket’s mean score (excluding 0s and any significant outlier [meaning a guild that’s #1 in the bracket by twice or thrice as many points as #2; same if #2 is compared to #3]).

If those are two different categories, call them “dead” and “non-competitive,” respectively. Dead guilds drop to the bottom, Non-competitives just drop in the manner @ChunkyMono has suggested elsewhere: as quickly as outlaying high-performers rise.

I think this is too severe, but the reason this was pointed out was that, at the actual competitive brackets, it would be impossible to win that many people down. So their bracket is no longer appropriate if, say, their guild imploded from its spot on-high.

So for a guild climbing, they shouldn’t be penalized by being barred from competing. But if they can’t stack up with fewer people, they won’t move up anyway, if the score-percentage-to-the-mean system above were adopted. Because it is assumed that anything that qualifies as “dead” drops a lot, and non-competitives basically stay ~30ish brackets of where they are (not much of a difference if you’re not at the top, and no 4-person guild should be in the top 30, regardless of longevity).

I can honestly say I wouldn’t feel penalized if moved to the bottom with all other 0s in this case, and it’s coming from a guy that did build a guild from the bottom. U3 (Bracket 5ish) was Bloodred Revenges and at the bottom brackets for a long while before we even got half a roster. But I always registered for Wars and fought my battles, even if the guild scored fewer than 50k points overall.

Anyone who cares enough to progress would. If they don’t play, they’re registering for the paltry rewards only, which they will get either way.

The only problem I see with this is a guild that registers and forgets to play or is unable to play due to real life. Part of me is sympathetic to the possibility. A larger part of me thinks that not many brackets have been “lost” in that event and can be regained with some dedicated effort (and hopefully a roster that one real-life obstacle/tragedy can’t wipe out all contributions).

Longevity in the game shouldn’t matter as much as it currently does, but I think it should be weighted and not a clean slate every War. I might be biased, being at the top right now, but I don’t think it would be good for the game if an entirely new guild could form the night before Wars and then win Wars.

But should it take two years? I don’t think it should even take 1. But if 6 of my best people left, and 6 from four other top guilds all at once (man, that’d be a lot of GMs who screwed up on the keeping-people-pleased front :joy: :sweat_smile:), it would be a real bummer to be beaten by the mutineers without a chance to recover first. And that’s just at the top—I imagine there’s a lot of player-churn in the mid-level guilds. Recombinations should spring forward if mergers happen, because more players = more points, but not all the way to the top overnight, right? 3 months, then — thereabouts.

6 months or so to climb from the bottom to the top if the roster is as good as mine is now—30ish people going 30-0 on-color each war, would be my “fairest” estimation.

Let endgamers start from scratch if they want to, but don’t let them usurp their way to the top without a little bit of an effort-tax, I say. Especially since the possibility of this partial-disbanding and re-climbing would gum up the gears for all the actually new guilds’ (meaning those with basically no endgame-experience on the roster) climbing.

Thank you for taking the time to take the topic seriously despite the tone some have taken up. I for one appreciate the listening even if my ideas aren’t deemed adoptable, so long as it’s explained why they wouldn’t work, or why the team’s against them in principle.

And also sorry if I’m rambling. I’ve given this topic a lot of thoughts over the years and also have a hard time organizing all I want to say when I’m typing on mobile :sweat_smile:

For the Horde

5 Likes

I got a few points here, instead of dif posts im gonna combine everything:

@Rosenkreuz1979 both Salty and Kafka have come in to read the post, and they would read the entire thread, or skim it and look for actual points UNTIL they get to the points when users are being an arse to everyone else. The reason people stopped posting in here isnt because we dont think devs will read it, its because you are being insufferable to everyone that has any point that does not 100% align with what you personally want. Get off your high horse and have an open mind.

@Sossitch there is actually. A guild that is ranked 1st in a bracket at start of the week, different rules for who places where in top 3 brackets mind you, which means they placed 8th in the bracket above them, will always fight 2nd, which is 9th in the bracket above them. If you want to go into further number crunching, 1st in a bracket (8th in the bracket above) will fight ranks 2-7 at some point during the week, giving the ranks, 8/9/10 an “easier” schedule as they came from lower brackets. But in the image you provided, as thats at the end of GW week, they may not have fought each other purely because of where they both entered the bracket from the week before.

@Kafka I think the best way to look at “dead/less active” guilds is to check their participation rate in previous wars. We all know a lot of the guilds that register do so for the free gems they get at the end of the week, and use the week as a free week. I think an added protection, is to give them the option to fight and get the rewards, or not fight and get the rewards still without being entered into the bracket system. This is obviously for lower bracket guilds as they all get the same rewards unless they win their bracket. This way those that do not want to compete but want rewards, can get them still. Those that want to advance faster will be able to do so with less guilds at those levels and will have more competition due to only guilds that want to do the fights actually fighting.

The issue at the end of the day, is to find a way to not exclude players from any potential rewards, will making the event as fun as possible, but keeping the spirit of the event alive. Top brackets dont have this issue anymore, as everyone there wants to be there and as such have the competition that is wanted, and if they dont, they can move to a lower guild if available in a family setting like BDC, or they stick it out cause they love their guild and their friends in it.

4 Likes

Poor @Kafka, all these mean people yelling at you don’t realize that if the GW ranking system was changed… more people would yell at poor Kafka! Why did my guild go down Kafka? Why did that guild go up Kafka? Why did…

1 Like

I’ve had to make a ban for language, insults and abuse. I’ve deleted the posts involved.

I normally don’t like moderating the forums but I’d like this discussion to be able to continue, I don’t think it’s fair if I close it, if the rules are broken again though I will close it.

3 Likes

Who knew wars could be so combative of a subject.

6 Likes