The Price of a Mythic

This is actually an industry practice, and not just in games. Set the initial price higher, give people sticker shock, then offer the item at a lower price and get more impulse purchases because peoples’ brains are already calibrated to the worse price.

1 Like

I have a feeling a lot of the prices are controlled by the publisher.

I’m not disagreeing. Just pointing out this is a widely-used practice and it’s entirely possible that it’s also the publishers’ reasoning.

It’s a free to play game. Everybody knows you’re gonna have to deal with RNG shenanigans whether you buy stuff or not.

$135usd if you are purchasing diamonds on Sunday from the dungeon pack.

If you buy the Diamond offer every day and start on a Monday, it will cost you $280 over 56 days to collect 4060 Diamonds for crafting a Mythic. You’ll get a total of 3600 Diamonds and 46,400 Shards (which converts to 460 Diamonds).

However, you can drastically cut those costs down by only purchasing the offer on Sunday. Then it will only cost you $125 over 25 weeks (169 days if you start on a Sunday) to buy exactly 4000 Diamonds (3750 in Diamonds and 25k shards).

Yeah, uh, if I’m going to drop $125 or god forbid $280 to get a Mythic, I don’t feel like I should have to wait 56-169 days to get it.

3 Likes

Just giving one possible answer to the question. Console players could actually do that in one day.

Going from what the op said they spent, about 250% the average amount of resources needed to pull the new mythic. I think it’s worth noting that they gained all this for free in 1 month. (assuming they spent everything last month too)

I think this game is actually pretty generous when it comes to how much you can get for free vs what it takes to keep up. OP has had some bad luck 2 months in a row no doubt, but it will turn around. It’s also not the worst luck I’ve seen. Many people including myself have spent 300% or more in the past.

1 Like

Ignite said a lot in the OP, and while I don’t agree with everything said, I do think something should be done about how players acquire Mythics in this game. First, it is very demoralizing, as a new player, to see new troops come out each month that you have no realistic chance to get, as well as a mountain of cool older Mythics that you know you’ll have to choose very carefully between. Second, yes you don’t technically need most of the Mythic troops, but they are some of the most fun troops in the entire game to use. Players who are having fun tend to play the game more and spend more money than players who literally don’t know what they are missing out on.

The current Mythic distribution system made sense when it was created, when there were only a dozen or so Mythic troops in the game. 4 years and almost 50 troops later, it is a cruel reminder that how well you do in GoW is always affected by RNG.

3 Likes

I’ll admit I’m struggling to think of a free to play game without ANY RNG, but it doesn’t take much effort to think of several where the odds have a better distribution.

1 Like

Jeah I get that but whether or not the odds are better at the very least the developers are transparent about it from the get go. It’s us as players that decide whether we want to play or not.

There is one thing I will admit to have learned, though: Pulling for Mythics with resources is not what a new or even a mid game player should be focusing on. Instead all those resources should be focused on improving the troops that you have. Getting a Mythic during that time period should be considered gravy.

Trust me, I fell for that mistake when I first started until the people here on these forums talked some sense into me. I’ve enjoyed The game a whole lot more after learning that.

2 Likes

I’ve just gone and spent £198 on 6200 Gem’s to try and get Infernus from Event Chests and like you have nothing to show for it, I feel like I might aswell just not bother with anything in general with the chests as the RNG is too random for anyone’s liking sept those that have stocked up 20,000 gems and stupendous more keys… and get their mythics within like 50 gem keys and still continue to stockpile… this just make’s me wonder why should I bother trying to catch up? When the game’s just against me… especially when I already spent roughly the same amount of gems and keys as you for when Will of Nysha was released. Something just like needs to be implemented other than spending £40 for a guaranteed RANDOM mythic troop after 30 days or the instant one time purchase of Growth Pack II. For people like myself who often want to take their chances but I’d probably get a reply stating that’s gambling for you… sigh is all i’ll say to them.

2 Likes

It genuinely feels awful to save hundreds of event keys for weeks, sometimes months, so you can have 500, 1000, whatever the number is, waiting for a specific kingdom event so you can have a chance at a specific mythic – no other troops you need, and finally that event week starts and you plow through opening the chests and nothing. No mythic. All that saving and waiting. It’d be like collecting Diamonds, waiting for the mythic to be craftable but it’s not a 100% chance when you click to forge it and it fizzles out.

1 Like

But it’s NOT like collecting diamonds and having a possibility of fizzling out. The best advice is to not think about getting a Mythic when opening chests but rather saving the diamonds to craft one. You’ll save yourself a lot of heartbreak and headache.

Now that every kingdom has a mythic, I feel like the economy should be adjusted to make it a little easier to acquire the ones a player wants most. To make every mythic that exists would take more than 200k diamonds right now—and that’s a ton.

Make the cost even 25% easier each “kingdom cycle” (so mythics would cost 3k diamonds for now, instead of 4k, until every kingdom had two mythics), and (at least right now) it would still cost ~150k—cost prohibitive, in other words, to get every mythic, but a nice little helping hand to anyone who wants to craft a couple more catch-ups-on-mythics-I-missed a year.

This could be repeated every “cycle” of every kingdom getting another, too. Costs would be 4k —> 3k —> 2250, and so on.

Either that, or give the players another reliable way to generate diamonds to accomplish the same basic end since the problem is, at its core: not even a person spending a reasonable amount of real, non-digital dollars has a decent shot at full completion unless they are extraordinarily lucky or have been playing since Day 1, with no breaks

2 Likes

Curious how unlucky you were? :face_with_monocle:

First convert spent resources into base chance of Mythic :nerd_face:

600 Gem keys = 600
5000 glory keys = 500
450 guild keys = 450
100 vip keys = 1000

Total = 2550

1-.999^2550 = .922, meaning you had a 92% chance to get a mythic from what you spent. Also about an 8% chance to not get mythic.

And just 1000 gem keys or 100 vip keys gives you only a 63% chance to get the mythic.
1-.999^1000 = .632

So to not get it where the chance is 7.8% that you would fail to is rather unlucky, but not impossible

Well, OP, welcome to the greedy world of microtransaction filled games. This kind of money hungry crap is not only found in F2P titles, such as Gems, but most “Triple A” games, made by company such as Ubisoft and EA, as well.

This is the current culture of gaming. Companies want to bleed your wallet dry, as fast and as often as they can. Gems used to not be so bad, but that was a long, long time ago. Back before every Event has Sigils/tiers to buy with Gems. Though, there chest RNG has always been scummy for the over 2 years I’ve played.

Honestly, there are only 2 things you can do:

1.Keep playing, butt do your best to try not let the game rope you into spending boat loads of cash

2.Find a game that isn’t filled to the brim with microtransactions, or at least has a better system and doesn’t always feel like it’s tugging at your purse strings.

Other than that, there’s not much to say. I doubt they’re changing their monetization model anytime soon.

2 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more with this entire post. Mythics are hard to get, that’s the point! If they were easy to get and everyone could get them easily there would he no carrots to chase and everyone would just have all troops in a few months and move on. The amount of resources you both spent and saved is nothing compared to others I’ve seen.

RNG can feel rigged against you and then it can also feel rigged for you. I’ve pulled mythics on new mythic week from 200 glory keys only before. I’ve also had to save 20k guild seals to get a new mythic. It’s part of the game.

Personally, I love knowing that longtime players are still missing mythics. Means there are troops I have that they don’t and vice versa. Making a way cheese this aspect of the game is both ridiculous and economy breaking.

A lot of players have mentioned here but event keys and diamonds are great ways to reduce that RNG. In the case of diamonds it’s down to zero. Yes it takes weeks but you can also buy packs in the dungeon or even buy the path of power II in the shop to guarantee a mythic.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure this should be more or less:

600 Gem keys = 600 = 21.65%
5000 glory keys = 500 = 18.04%
450 guild keys = 450 = 16.24%
100 vip keys = 1000 = 36.07%

This is not totally accurate because he didn’t spent all these resources AT ONCE. For each ammount of chests allowed to be open he had independent percentuals for each try…

So our chances, generally speaking, to get a Mythic with Vip Keys are just a bit better, but still a gamble because we can’t open as many chests as we desire. Our chances are capped at that limit, supposedly because opening too many chests can cause issues and make the game crash.