The main problem in the game: more and more people are leaving, impossible to recruit

well you can’t expect to have top tier weapon in the grinding game when you can’t have enough time to grind it. Invalid argument.

Not sure what you think the argument is? We are just replying to the question of how duplicate dragons do in fact make more money for the devs…Sylverscale was asking how multiple copies can result in more money, and we replied how.

This was the question: “Tell me, please, how it makes them money if people draw 30 eggs and still don’t have all dragons.”

There is no argument about whether it is right or wrong, simply that it does happen, because yes not everyone is going to grind that much…

2 Likes

I spend money on games. But I have to get something for my money besides a “maybe” or worse, a “probably not.”

8 Likes

Hmm, well, if one doesn’t mind paying for highly-powered troops and weapons there are plenty of other games out there which do just that. I’ve always enjoyed that GoW is different, the RNG has rarely bothered me because I know that if I peck away long enough I’ll be rewarded.

2 Likes

I should probably consider that people might spend on chances. :sweat_smile:

Not something I’d personally do, especially not if there’s no fixed end in sight.

1 Like

I’m a paying player, but my general rule when picking what to buy and whether to buy is “will I get something specific for my $$, or something which will reduce the grind in the future”, and so: campaigns with guaranteed mythic and tarot card, kingdom passes with guaranteed troop and weapon, death knight armour, guild mate gifts (especially if they are discounted) - are a “yes”. Gem sale, 99% of flash offers, shrines with random orbs, ring of power, one currency to gamble on a different currency (gems for Dragonite for eggs, GM for Dragonite for eggs, etc.), citadel sigils, monolith sigils - are a “no”. But everyone has this line drawn elsewhere - and looking at the scores on global citadel wars LB, or some scores during weekly events (there’s only so many gems a player can get for free) - people say “yes” to the offers I say “no” to. I can only hope they see value in their purchases, even if I can’t see any.

6 Likes

Yeah, basically same.

My other game offered full building supplies for $1 which greatly reduces the grind. Absolutely a yes (and so cheap!).

Then you can also buy crafting materials for random badges. Not for me. Also not as cheap but even if it was I would not buy it.

Real money for dragonite for maybe the 11th duplicate dragon? No, thanks.

But of course that’s just me, and I guess some people are more likely to spend when they’re frustrated. I’m the opposite of that. Not adding losing real money to losing dragonite on my 32nd attempt (if I was that unlucky).

2 Likes

Wow straw man much?

I believe in spending some money in the games that I play (and enjoy), because I don’t feel entitled to the fruits of someone else’s labor. When I pay for the campaign pass, I know exactly what I am getting for that. It feels fair and I feel like I am supporting the game. I just don’t want to buy “in game” lottery tickets.

My issue with the rng hell things, like the dragons, is the design choice to set them up as a FOMO slot machine. It’s a predatory attempt to get people to buy “chances.” GoW never used to be that way. I used to recommend the game because I felt the monetization was pretty ethical.

17 Likes

Since players are leaving because of poor decisions, hardly any communication and other things, the developers have gotten desperate. So, they create these sinister slot machines (dragon eggs, Underspire sentinels, and random book of deeds from the pvp shop) to give a false sense of progress.

Many players (myself included) feel like we are not progressing anymore with these new features and know that we have to get lucky to upgrade our kingdoms or get new troops.

When I first started the game, I leveled up my classes and upgraded my kingdoms to power level 20, and it felt like I was getting stronger, learning new things and checking things off my list.

Now? I have to calculate the chance I have to get the colored deed books I actually need, decide whether I want to spend extra gems in Underspire or burn through my gem stash with the merchant, which is boring as hell.

Not fun…:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

14 Likes

Agree - I used to say to myself I will leave this game when I reach a certain high level, as I could clearly see that end-gaming is not so great. But here is the thing - after spending so much time and even money on a game, it is hard to leave. And I think many players find themselves in a similar situation, where end-gaming is not that fun anymore, but they still hang on hoping things will improve maybe. Until they finally slowly burn out, or just spend very little time in the game.

If you do some calculations even with all the new changes it will take 6+ years to get all your Kingdoms to Lvl 20 with books (a big improvement from the previous 30+ years). But is it really worth it at all?

Unfortunately a large part of the game is building up team stats - all previous activity as you mentioned is geared towards that - leveling classes, getting all the necessary troops and pets for Kingdom Power, and once that is over not much is left to strive for.

It is not like it is an action PVP game where everything is centered around actual battles. It is a collector grinding type of game…

5 Likes

The developers started taking the wrong direction in the aspect of troop collecting after Ctharrasque. I remember when I got Zuul Goth for the first time, and it made difficult faction assaults and guild wars much easier.

Collecting power orbs was a sense of progress towards those boss troops because you would spend more time on vault events to get more chances at getting those nice rewards from vault keys–it was controlled rng that rewarded you with enough investment.

Dragonite could have been treated the same way. I think most players would rather spend double the amount of dragonite on specific dragons, rather than get random ones. The same could be said for Underspire sentinels. They could have added a new resource (like sentinel fragments from chests) to craft those troops in the soulforge.

I know they have difficulty with adding things in the soulforge, but it has been the most reliable way to get missing weapons and troops. Maybe if they invested more time and money into making it an even more helpful feature, players wouldn’t feel hopeless…

Instead we have to deal with this pvp circus that has been going on for about half a year now, and I am losing my patience…

14 Likes

Regardless of covid or anything else, this game is many people’s life blood for heaven’s sake. It could be Armageddon, and they would still find a way to play. Many, I believe, who write NOVELS in their comments - - even the complaining ones - - STILL are so emotionally invested, because they wouldn’t put soooo much effort into writing about it lol. (sigh) (:joy:)

1 Like

People keep getting nerfed and stuff goes missing, their tired of it thats why people are leaving. I am one of the ogs from pq1 when Steve was still working on pq1/

The 10th Anniversary is coming up. I know what I’d do. It’s time for GoW Classic. Launch a new server with 15 kingdoms and the original 90 troops, bi-weekly events and no PvP. Players can select Retail or Classic in the launcher. Let Classic run on the OG schedule for year. At that point let players vote on dev proposals to either vary schedule or add in content from the Retail game. Personally, I would much rather start from scratch in Classic then keep wrestling with the toilet seat game design that is current Retail. The OG had some wondrous charm, which the vast majority of the player base has never seen. You could even make Classic be a mini-game you can run from within Retail, with rewards for achieving each of the Classic achievements in Classic.

4 Likes

I wasn’t around for the individual, but this is an interesting idea. I’d also like to see a version of Arena with hero.