The Chinese localization of the latest card description is still using machine translation

Shame on you.

1 Like

The claim would be quite compelling if you could take the English spell description, plug it into google translate, and then show the screenshot of that side-by-side with cardā€™s spell image.

Even better if thereā€™s an explanation of whatā€™s wrong, as well as where and why for all of us who donā€™t know the language and couldnā€™t just see the proof for ourselves at a glance.

5 Likes

Explanation of whatā€™s wrong? How could I give that? Thereā€™s nothing right at all! Itā€™s just a pile of nonsense!

In fairness to the machines doing the translating, GIGO may apply. ā€œEliminate their attack by 10ā€ is not the best possible phrasing in English.

1 Like

What card is incorrect, and what does it say?

2 Likes

Result 34 injured an enemy and sealed them. If our attack is more violent and irritates ourselves, Otherwise, if we are attacked by the opponent, we will lose 10 points.

Result? Whatā€™s result? Machine translation result?

Sealed? More Violent? Attacked by the opponent?

Whatā€™s the meaning of these?

7 Likes

Yikesā€¦

Thatā€™s a real shame. Hope this gets fixed.

Irritates ourselves = enrage :rofl:

2 Likes

Omg this is hilarious.

Thanks for posting the pictures. The community had to ask for them because otherwise we donā€™t know whatā€™s being talked about.

Either this is a machine translation, or whoever they hired to translate is using google translate and hoping no one checks which is a safe assumption.

2 Likes

Screenshot(17)

Screenshot(18)

Google translate does a better job, apparently.

5 Likes

Google translate is so polite. ā€œPlease anger yourselfā€ :rofl:

2 Likes

The description was actually intended for the upcoming ā€˜All your baseā€™ troop.

You have no chance to survive make your time

To be fair. It looks like a machine wrote the English translation from English as well. So itā€™s not specific to the Chinese language. ā€œEliminate their attack by 10.ā€

Is how a robot would mistranslate a number being reduced by 10 permanently.

Iā€™m starting to think @Saltypatra is the only human left at Infinity Plus 2 and basically 505 Games is just an alias for Skynet.

1 Like

A while back they said ā€œeliminateā€ was going to be their new keyword any time they meant ā€œreduceā€ :man_shrugging:

In an attempt to standardize their language. Which will never happen because they keep switching what the ā€œstandardā€ is (and they never bother to go back and update ā€œout-of-dateā€ or misleading text to conform to the new ā€œstandardsā€ they roll out).

EDIT(s) for links:

5 Likes

Ewww. :pensive:

But thanks. At least we know it wasnā€™t a mistake then. Just an unwise decision.

1 Like

I just filtered by ā€œeliminateā€. Warhound has a nice wording:
ā€œEliminate X attack from the first enemy.ā€

There are currently 31 enemies with the word ā€œEliminateā€

Meanwhile Accursed still uses ā€œAll enemies lose 2 random skill pointsā€ instead of ā€œEliminate 2 random skill points from all enemiesā€

Iā€™m sure the list goes on. But will stop before I derail the thread.

3 Likes

They did rework an old troop to say eliminate, youā€™re right. I shouldnā€™t say ā€œnever.ā€

Itā€™s just too piecemeal to matter, I think; Warhound only got a rework because itā€™s so often seen in the Arena, so it was part of that update.

But also ā€” using machines, or a terrible translator, is pretty :poop:. The Chinese playerbase deserves better, so I hope this thread will get some attention from @Saltypatra so she can pass it up the chain of command.

1 Like

Best do that before Shimrra notices and feels his blood pressure spike. Heā€™s been tilting at this particular windmill for years now.

3 Likes

I still have my fingers crossed they end up settling on exterminate.

ā€œEliminateā€ usage aside, the Chinese text here is massively more messed up than a word being iffy. It doesnā€™t even make logical sense. Either a machine did it or the translator has no idea what theyā€™re doing. Either way, shame on IP2 for treating the Chinese playerbase like this.

4 Likes