The Blessing... and Curse of Gard's Avatar

That one works too. The only drawback is that if you don’t get enough browns, Rock Troll keeps reds away from Gard. Really minor issue though. Not team-breaking.

Aby has been really nice this week during the event. Haven’t used her much before but have done quite a few matches with her and she’s fun for what she is.

My experience of the guardians without a mana transformer is that once you fill them, e.g. honor, you can’t cast straight away unless the board is heavily dominated by one type of gem (as you already used most of the browns).

I will give it a try though as you were right about the first team!

That’s why you pair them with a tank and ONLY select skulls. There is little to no fear of handing the board over to the AI with skulls, you know what their move is. I have kept all manner of fully-loaded AI troops with game ending spells from casting simply by feeding them skulls.

Control the board. Control the AI. Control your own destiny! :wink:

1 Like

efh313 is right. I always target the most saturated color until the board is down to a couple of colors and skulls. Then I start targeting skulls. Rinse and repeat, regardless of the Guardian.

Oh, I know this. I have just had it go spectacularly wrong enough times that I’m a bit cautious about using them unless Mab is invited to the party

1 Like

For that 1 in 10 match that things go horribly wrong, just quit and start another match. Wins are highly overrated in this game. It’s all about time per match.

I can’t argue with that! It can be a huge backfire, hence the high risk and high reward, but when you get a great tank up front, Gorgotha, Rock Troll, Behemoth, etc. (even Humility is a fun punching bag… would be better if Guardians number converted was based off of MAGIC!!) then you really do have the odds in your favor, but odds are odds…

The one thing I will say is DO NOT run the HONOR GARD team against BD!! If you don’t know why… then you are playing the wrong game! :wink:

1 Like

That’s… actually a very good team. I guess I disliked the BB idea (Back when there were no summoners. Ancient times, I know ;)) to the extent I didn’t even consider him at all. Now I tested this team:
1st battle: Gorgotha up front, urgh… But even Granite Skin can only take so much. Not the fastest battle obviously, but still easily won
2nd battle: thanks to poor board and 2 quick Armour Piercing hits from Desdeamona, BB got killed before the battle really began. So a little change of plans: IK gets summoned to the front, Mercy (and Aby) fills him, he deals most of the damage. IK got killed? No problem, let’s get another one :smiley:

Some more fights - usually easier than those 2. All in all - not the fastest team, but sturdy and reliable. Definitely good for change of pace, not to mention this week event :slight_smile:

1 Like

No need to be sorry at all. Its human to mix things, and in that context it was obvious that it was Honor.

2 Likes

I have the same issues. I have a core team I use and swap only a single unit occasionally, depending on event or mood. It’s so insanely fast and mind-blowingly devastating that all other things make it feel like I’m watching baseball or grass grow in comparison. I try other stuff occasionally, but it feels like work at that point, given how much effort goes into just slogging out a win I know should be had in 2-3 turns, easy. Still, this is not the worst problem to have, is it?

1 Like

No it is definitely not the worst problem to have. As I said above it is a “1st world” problem for sure. But knowing I’m not alone makes me feel better. After all…

Yep agree with @Jainus and the others, the Gard loop team is far and away the most efficient invade team I’ve ever played. It’s been my go-to team for 90% of my battles if I’m trying to hit my Guild requirements ASAP. I’ll relax and experiment with other teams once I hit my goals.

1 Like

My go to team has been Mercy / Alch / HC / Gard for a long time. Very reliable and quite fast. My only issue is boredom with it. So I’ve tried quite a few different Gard builds and some are good, some not so much. At least for my playstyle.

My only issue with any of the Guardians is luck. It doesn’t seem to matter how the board is set up. 60 - 70 % of the time I leave match 4/5’s for the enemy. I just don’t have the luck with random gem creation. I need the control the popular team gives me. I need to know when I fire it that I will get the result I’m expecting. Not fire off a Guardian and then watch as the enemy fills it’s entire team and chews mine up and spits it out.

9 Likes

@RNGesus Gard pl0x

Same for me here. If I use a guardian, I may as well just start off with 2 troops or half health. AI gets multiple turns 75% of the time on own turn, as well as 75% of my turns. Thanks, but no thanks. Like dating a bishop’s daughter, I too prefer a sure thing.

1 Like

I was using the Mercy, Alc, Hell Cat, gard team on ps4. Its a nice loop team.
I found I wasn’t really using mercy all that much though. One or two cast every 3-4matches for the extra turns.
Swapped her out for Golden Cog and have never looked back.
Hellcat, Alchemist, Gard and Golden Cog with Dragon banner.

Interesting! I only cast her if there is a first turn possibility. Beyond that I generally save her for a quick cleanse if Gard gets frozen or stunned. But switching to cog may be a fun alternative. How do you stack the team?

Interesting. Two immediate drawbacks come to mind:

1. Red/Yellow blocks the mana for your engine, which would cause a slower start;
  2. If your Hero gets Frozen (Chill Touch or especially Bone Dragon), you’re in a lurch, and you lose the cleanse Mercy would otherwise bring to the table.
1 Like

I also tried the Golden Cog variant back when Gard was still fairly new. It was fun to use but I wound up crawling back to mi lady Mercy for the reasons explained above. Having a first slot empowered blue/green troop with full team cleanse is simply too good for the Gard loop setup.