The 2nd GoW Forum Fantasy Series - 2nd Round: 7 vs 8

Guidelines:

• EVERYONE is welcome to vote, polls are located at the bottom of each matchup
  • Vote according to your own rules. Is it a best-of-whatever? Is it player vs. player or AI vs. AI? You choose, however always assume a fair fight
  • ALL Troops are fully-Traited, please keep this in mind
  • Each Troop is linked to @Lyya’s beautifully-created Troop List, which contains information like stats and traits
  • We are using base rarities and the maximum level of any Troop is of it’s base rarity (Legendary = 19, Epic = 18, Ultra Rare = 17, Rare = 16, Common = 15)

#SECOND ROUND: Studs vs. Yonizaf

User: @Studs

Banner:

Troops & Position:
Behemoth
Bone Dragon
Wight
Priestess
TEAM SUMMARY

Team Bonus:

Lord of Bones: All Troops gain 2 Armor for having 2 unique Khetar Troops

VS.

User: @yonizaf

Banner:

Troops & Position:
Goblin
Crimson Bat
Shadow Dragon
Keeper of Souls
TEAM SUMMARY

Team Bonus:

None

• Studs

• Yonizaf

0 voters

POLL ENDS: Monday, May 16th at 12:00pm Central

LINKS
3 VS 16
4 VS 15
5 VS 11

1 Like

Here’s my assessment:

Yonizaf’s team is incredibly slow. It has three Legendaries, which at first glance seems intimidating, but they cost around 15 mana per, there’s little to no synergy between them, and he has no way to feed any of those troops. It will take him forever to pull off any of their abilities and no one ability, or even one round of abilities, will kill my key troops. Shadow Dragon’s spell is also Random, so it’s unlikely to be that useful (and certainly not for taking down my priority troops). Yes, once he gets off the first Shadow Dragon spell it’ll help him speed up things a little, but it still only transforms a few Gems, and at such a high cost it’s going to take many rounds to fill things up again. I also want Purple, so bear in mind we’ll be competing for those making him go even slower with the one source of mana feeding he has. There’s also overlap between Shadow Dragon and KoS in Purple so it’ll take incredibly long to fill KoS, making it worthless for much of the game. ()And don’t forget about the Frozen on Bone Dragon, which means his already slow team will slow down even more if he manages to get through Behemoth.) Additionally, since Goblin is in the first spot and has low total HP pool, he’ll die in one shot making him basically useless.

My team is a nice blend of tank, damage, and feeding. I have two Legendaries that are very tanky (especially Behemoth in the front with his Immense trait), and they’re in the first two spots so he’s got to chew threw them first with any Skull matches. They also have high Attack values meaning they’re complete troops. Add to my team some decent mana feeding between Behemoth and Wight, plus Water Link to speed up Wight. Plus lower spell costs so quicker to fill. Additionally, my Cursed + Blessed means I already start off with +2 to all troops and he starts off with -2, creating a +16 point swing in my favor. (And if the Cursed catches his Bat or Shadow Dragon in their Magic stat, they’re basically useless at that point since their True Damage is offset by low total damage.) But really what it all comes down to is that my team also has the incredibly powerful combo of Wight + Bone Dragon that can kill any of his troops in a single turn.

Here’s how it will play out: One skull match and Goblin is dead. He’s basically gone in the first turn or two, which means his best troop, Crimson Bat, is exposed immediately. Yes, Bat is very dangerous, but it’s poorly placed in that second slot. It was a huge mistake in his line up, and will cost him the game. I’m basically guaranteed to fill up Wight faster than he can fill up his troops since I have Water Link and Wight costs 10 vs his Bat’s 15. As soon as Wight fills up, the Wight + Bone Dragon combo is executed. Wight hits Bat, then Bone Dragon follows up with what’s likely to be multiple skull matches in a row. We all know how Bone Dragon creates skulls like crazy… That will kill his Crimson Bat in a single turn. Then he’s faced with impossible circumstance: He’s got to beat Behemoth, Bone Dragon, Wight, and Priestess with only his Shadow Dragon and KoS. Ain’t gonna happen. And even in some scenario where he manages to fill Bat before I fill Wight, what happens? He can’t one-shot any of my troops. The Bat fires off, but it’s still dead as soon as Wight + Bone Dragon fires. That Bat is toast, and his team falls with it. If he had the Bat in the third position, it would be a much closer contest. But as is, there’s no way he wins this.

6 Likes

Compelling argument, gave it to ya, I think actually that if he had a double green banner and Gob wasn’t first I would have gone the other way as Filling gob every green match would have forced you to preemptively grab them and having no green troops means a wasted turn and taking beats every turn he could’ve played the long game to get there (hide and sneak every turn adds up) so congrats, loved ur summery too btw

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. If he had Gob not first then he could’ve blasted down my Wight, which would’ve been really bad for me. Similarly, not having Bat second would’ve meant more time for its true damage. But his line up really handicaps him since Goblin and Bat are gonna fall fast. Just no way around it.

2 Likes

He also would have benefited more perhaps from scale guard, when Shadow Dragon goes off Scale guard’s spell has the highest output compared to his mana cost, it could’ve also taken better advantage of the banner he had

That’s an exaggeration. One 5-match followed by a single 3-match mana surge can fill any of my troops. That’s not guaranteed to happen of course, but pretending my troops take forever to fill is just plain wrong.

Also, my bat will kill your wight in one shot if he’s able to shoot first.

That’s all I’m going to say, since I’m not up to long arguments, but I do believe that my team is better than yours and I’m actually more likely to win.

But you don’t have the ability to create gems to set up 5 matches. And my Wight fills up more quickly. And it’s actually more likely to happen with mine since I have a gem creator. So basically it could happen for either of us but it’s more likely to happen for me, and I don’t need any more matches after it does.

I think your team in its current composition would have had a better shot with Shadow Dragon up top, Darkfall triggers would have allowed him to hit hard in the early going, by the time you would be able to cast his spell studs would likely have been down to at least 3 troops, maybe 2, the deciding factor in my personal vote did come down to troop position, after a couple darkfall triggers 2 skull matches will dispatch any of his troops, including Behemoth after a couple of immense boosts, especially since if wright failed to net an extra turn, you suck up the purple gems, feeding Dragon and increasing his attack if I figured a best 3 out of 5 I would give you wins in my conclusion but I think studs will (in my opinion) come out ahead

1 Like

Competitors can change lineups between matches, only one took advantage of this before the second round.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly why I mentioned. I think he would’ve won if he mixed it up between rounds.

I would have changed my lineup, if I was around. I wasn’t, and now I suffer for it. I didn’t think the next round will start so soon.

Sorry man, but we were all told in advance what the timelines were.

That’s okay, I was not trying to blame anyone, or anything of the sort. I was just stating what happened. If I lose because of that, so be it.

But - don’t feel sorry for me yet. I do think I still have a decent chance of winning this, so stay on your toes.

I give a full 24 hours between the rounds.

Any less and it doesn’t let you guys prepare, any more and voters might start forgetting :wink:

1 Like

Time to vote everyone, lets get those voting numbers high!

Like the squirrel said, everyone vote please! you all can still help me win, if you so wish (which you surely do)!

Only 5 vote difference here… things still matter.

Just need to call the votes here, or all is for naught.

1 Like

What the heck squirrel?! Also crazy how the votes have swung back in Yon’s favor, darn squirrel!

Still feel confident my team will win based on Bone Dragon + Wight and the fact that Yon’s Goblin gets one-shot, leading to Bat’s quick demise, and thus the downfall of his team. Definitely think the troop order is the deciding factor here.

Look at where the quote cane from. @yonizaf took it from his first round thread though I will say that was clever.

And yeah he’s closed the gap from 5 to 2.

1 Like