Talent tree failure

The talent trees are a good idea but the dev where to lazy to at least give each class a unique lv100 set of talents. The first stages are pretty universally useful but the last talent that takes the most time to unlock are useless on many of them. The bard class has 0 useful talents to the class type and there are many others in the same boat.

11 Likes

I disagree. I think the talent trees have been pretty universally a success. Bard is in a uniquely excellent position. It unlocks itā€™s most awesome talents before Level 100 instead of having to wait.

Thanks devs for this feature. I love it.

2 Likes

Bard doesnā€™t unlock anything special that all the other talent trees donā€™t have in them. I like the talent trees but the dev where lazy in implementing them. Every class should have a unique lv100 set of talents.

Talent trees are great! Level 100 talents are almost all very ho-hum. Couple of exceptions, but by and large not worth it, considering they take as much effort to unlock as all the other levels together.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a different way to look at it.

Some classes have better trees than others. I feel like they settle into three classes:

• Unique
  • Flexible
  • Questionable

ā€œUniqueā€ classes are the ones that focus on something. They end up more powerful than other classes at that one thing. People agree that all of their bonuses scream you should do that one thing. If you diverge from that one thing, they get much weaker.

ā€œFlexibleā€ classes are the ones with spastic trees. They arenā€™t as powerful as unique classes because they donā€™t have a laser focus. But flexible classes tend to work with many different kinds of teams, and are still powerful enough to warrant using the hero instead of a 4th synergy troop.

ā€œQuestionableā€ classes are the ones that have such a loose focus theyā€™re still not good enough to consider over a 4th troop. Maybe their synergy just isnā€™t here yet, or maybe itā€™s never coming.

I find complaining about the good ā€œFlexibleā€ classes to be the least productive. They have a purpose and Iā€™d rather have more of them than a lot of ā€œUniqueā€ classes. It costs 50 gems to change classes. So long as thatā€™s true, I want flexibility out of my hero.

Pick a ā€œQuestionableā€ class and complain about that. Something like Orbweaver that no one uses.

2 Likes

Bard IMHO is a useless class any other week than this week. There is only maybe 2 or 3 class that the talent trees help the rest are still garbage. After this week Iā€™ll go back to one of 3 class unless the weekly event gives a good enough incentive to do otherwise.

Bard still has universally strong traits and talents - specifically, +1 to all stats for yellows every turn, and starting with 50% mana no matter what team you put it on.

7 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan of a trait that is only effective on one color troop. It is nice for that color gw day but near useless any other day.

I disagree. I think most others here would too. Consensus is clear that Bard is hands down the best class for its traits. Gaining Talents seems to have made Titan very useful, and otherwise not hugely driven new variety.

My only complaint is that some of the skills like color changers with an explode gem skill will nullify a four of a kind.

Priest is by far the best class with the state the game is in followed by titan class followed by assassin class. Bard is only useful during wildfolk weeks and yellow gw days and yellow gw days priest is still the best option.

Bard is without a doubt the best class. I use it constantly. Perhaps itā€™s more likely that you havenā€™t figured out how to take proper advantage of it yet.

3 Likes

Bard is my go-to class most weeks. There are several good yellow-based teams, Divines is one of them. Every turn, Ubastet gets +2 to Attack and +1 to Magic. The team itself has no use for green mana, but a Bard can gain Enchant if you match green.

Bard is a ā€œflexibleā€ class. Itā€™s not the most powerful class for a Divines team. But it goes well with my daily task teams, and Divines isnā€™t the only team that can benefit a little.

I havenā€™t done the work myself but Iā€™m not accepting ā€œevery class is garbageā€ unless you walk through them and show how any viable meta team they might support isnā€™t helped. I kind of eventually want to do that work myself but busy busy busy.

Bard is one of my favourite classes. Itā€™s one of the best classes we have.

4 Likes

Priest gives all divines 2 life every turn plus 2 life on 4or5 match. It also gives a team boost for using all divine troops and heals all troops by 2 every turn. I slaughter bard teams 10 out of 10 times I face them.

Priest is a rubbish class for the hero, as of itself. Itā€™s just the best one to dump your hero into because of the clearly broken make-24-gems-for-7-mana weapon and the Divine meta. Priestā€™s traits and talents are pretty irrelevant for that.

Ymmv I guess - but I think youā€™re mistaken to disregard the Bard class - if you ever feel like using the hero for its own abilities.

Of course you do. We all do. That was actually exactly my point.

We are straying off-topic somewhat bickering about class preferences. I actually largely agree with your opening post about the design of the talent trees. I said much the same here:

2 Likes

The hero is still rubbish minus about 3 or 4 weapons.

Enough with the class warfare - we are all heroes :grin:

2 Likes

Regardless of what class you prefer it doesnā€™t change the fact that the dev where to lazy to give each class at least one tier of talents that are exclusive to that class.

Assassin class was my favourite before talents were introduced, followed by Titan and Necromancer. Nothing changed, getting Hunters Mark ability and 30% Dodge chance is great when you need to be in first place to assassinate.

Also, the Dark Venom talent is nice as a way to poison enemies for Scorpius so that opens up some interesting builds.

Certainly agree that some classes really focus on what they were already good at (Assassin) and others are more generalists.

I think the thing about talents is the same with traits, in general, the stat gain talents are far less useful than the ones that ā€˜doā€™ something. With respect to that there is a marked difference between some of the trees. Shadow vs. Morale for instance.

My class levels:
Necromancer - 84
Assassin - 76
Bard - 71
Titan - 64
Sorcerer - 64
Oracle - 48
Priest - 43
Mechanist - 43
Warden - 36
Runepriest - 33
Deathknight - 32