(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 1)

What a disappointment. And I was so looking forward to the arrival of Mother of Darkness. It was like throwing a bucket of cold water over my head. The expectation to acquire it on Friday still exists, but the desire to use it has disappeared.

As if we don’t already have myths bad enough (did someone say Fallen Valdis?).

1 Like

Yes, it possibly will come on May 1st, 2 weeks after Doomsayer’s adding.

I don’t follow.
The Deep Hive is linked to Drifting Sands.
Depth of Sin will be Sin of Maraj class weapon.
Sin of Maraj is still a wase away from needing pets to upgrade it’s stars.

Sins’ Harvest is the class weapon, they tend to be mythic. :wink:

3 Likes

Spoiler time!

MYTHIC TROOPS

• This gets its own section because it’s what most people care about anyway.
  • Mother of Darkness (the February Mythic) now summons 2 garbage troops if she doesn’t get a kill, and has had her boost ratio nerfed to an absurd degree. 10-12 extra true damage is NOT worth pouring 24 Mana AND setup into a Mythic rare troop. I kinda expected they’d screw this troop up but not this badly. If there’s no buffs, this is going to be high-C tier probably.
  • Will of Nysha, the March Mythic from Silverglade, steals 3 Magic from all enemies, then deals… HALF MAGIC AOE DAMAGE? Its trait (which boosts stats of Puprle Allies each turn like Scorpius does) is kinda cool but that spell is complete GARBAGE, I’d expect that to be on an Ultra-Rare. Low C-tier, IP2 what are you thinking, if it’s about money whales aren’t going to splurge on complete garbage like this, and if it’s about balance then what is the point of releasing this troop at all?
  • Hummingbird of Death, the April Mythic from Suncrest, has very little other info. Spell name is Death Nectar. Interested to see how this one pans out.
  • Mistralus, the May Mythic from Stormheim. Spell name is Hurricane, has very little other info. A storm elemental seems like a cool idea.

NON-MYTHIC TROOPS

• Some localization fixes involving capitalization.
  • Blightwing is kinda unique. This Green/Brown Bountyhunter. It deals damage to a target, then explodes Gems based on whether they are Diseased or Burning. Thankfully, it can apply these itself, with skull damage. Odd gimmick, Ridgeback is better at exploding.
  • Brawlmaster Bur’Nakh creates 8 Red Gems, boosted by Orc Allies and Enemies, then gives all allies… 1 Attack? A guaranteed 12 Gem spawn is always nice, but this is really dumb. And no, the Attack is not boosted by Magic.
  • Child of Summer is upcoming. It turns Brown to Red (identical to Tai-Pan) but it uses Yellow/Green instead of Blue/Green (I would have preferred Yellow/Purple or Yellow/Brown for more diversity but whatever) and notably it creates a Firestorm on cast. This will immediately replace Tai-Pan in any teams where that was used, and I hope this and Daughter of Ice are the start of a highly synergistic and useful cycle of mana generators.
  • Gate of Souls Curses an enemy, then steals life as Armor, boosted 3:1 by Souls. This is pretty interesting, it acts like a low-budget variant of Pharos-Ra (although it sadly doesn’t have Necromancy, so without Pharos it’ll be really inefficient anyway).
  • Lucifira is a Godslayer that inflicts burn. That’s dumb.
  • Lyriath gives life to Allies, but only of one color, and… summons a copy of an Enemy? but only 25% of the time? Too many conditions have to be met for this to be ever useful.
  • Several troops were added, without stats or traits:
    • The Deep Hive faction has Beetle Blade (R), Moth Mage (UR), Horned Bettle Warrior (E), Queen Bee (L).
    • The Depths of Sin faction has 4 troops but no names or other info.
    • Angel Mage, an Epic from Whitehelm.
    • Dragotaur Ice Mage, a Legendary from Dragon’s Claw. I hope this is a +50% mana start for Dragons, I’ve been waiting a long time for one.
    • …Dynamite Goat? Common from Zaejin.
    • A new Zaejin Rare, Gobling, upcoming. Since we already know there’s a Common coming that week, we can conclude this is likely an upcoming Bountyhunter troop.
    • Lasher, a Common from Khaziel.
    • Solar, a Common from Whitehelm.
    • White Dragon, a Common from Dragon’s Claw.

WEAPONS

• We finally have the Doomed Hammers! Deal (Magic + 5) heavy splash damage (75% to adjacent), +4 per tempering level. Stun enemies, Cleanse allies, explode 4 Gems.
    • Let’s do the math on damage. With a mastery bonus Hero class I have 29 Magic, so that’s 34 damage, up to 74 to the target, plus 55 damage to adjacent enemies is about 175 damage total!
    • This is actually really powerful, especially on mono-colored teams. It’s like Infernus, but more damage, more focused, and with a Stun and Cleanse attached. Loving it! Spend the Forge scrolls you saved on this.
    • Note this spell does not have the dual-colored storm that was previously reported. Spoilers are heavily subject to change.
    • Nothing particularly special from the affixes, other than the last one (which mana drains troops of the matching color), the same affix from the Doomed Blade cycle of weapons.
  • LOL they actually named the community weapon Scythie McScytheface. No release date on it still.
  • An upcoming Grosh’Nak weapon, String of Teeth, gives an ally Enrage and (magic/2 + number of orc allies) Attack, then summons an Orc. Seems like an okay weapon, other than a stupid boost ratio.

OTHER

• No hero class changes. I belive I already discussed the Monk and Doomslayer traits 2 weeks ago, and since those are the last two classes we aren’t getting any more spoilers for that.
  • Deep Hive Faction is linked with Drifting Sands.
  • Miniskito is the Deep Hive Faction pet.
  • Siegebreaker for Zhul’Kari still absent. Who knows what will happen?
15 Likes

Siegebreaker for Elves is Sifu Yuan. Invasions were bound to troop types, not to kingdoms.

And only one color. True.
I got them switched up this morning.
The other Sin of Maraj weapon now has a placeholder date. I could of sworn this morning it had a Friday release with it. But again, I think I was looking at Harvest and got them confused.

I guess I’ll be the glass half full guy on Mother of Darkness (Shadows? that’s what she’s referred to as on stream, but we’ve been seeing inconsistent info there for the past month or so). Once you get past the ginormity of her nerf, what’s left is still a pretty good troop. She strikes me as a lesser variant of Arachnaean Weaver, when you factor in the true damage, the looping ability on enemy death, being stealthy, and the summoning (also note the complete opposite mana colors). I still like that third trait, which makes 4 stacks of bleed a legit threat (particularly since it’s rare to have immunity to bleed) and complements her spell nicely. She also gets 50% mana start with Captain Macaw, and +1 magic on 4/5 matches with Corsair class. She def has potential.

One aspect I’m not sure how I like is the fact that her boost is on a mana color she doesn’t take herself. This means that looping purple won’t fill her mana quickly, but it could open up more looping possibilities, by not blocking purple. I tentatively don’t think the trade is worth it, just going off the top of my head, but may be wrong.

First of all, Wrong…
And second, it’s “ways” NOT “wase” :unamused:

I can’t say what frustrated me the most today, the new mythical troop with nerf or the new class. I believe that I created too many expectations for both.

Looking ahead to Sword’s Edge week, the glory troop seems to be another Fenrir variant, giving barrier and a big armor boost to a single target. While I tend not to use those troops pretty much ever, the new legendary looks a bit more promising.

Sir Quentin Hadley gives Knights a 50% mana start and is an ever-useful dual converter, ensuring that he’ll be at least somewhat relevant. Knights don’t have much in the way of skull generators, but he’s also beast-type, so there will likely be some synergy with the other beast dual converters (particularly Forest Guardian, whose green he can convert to skulls, and who he can also feed via his yellow generation).

He also does magic damage to two random targets, which highlights the strange fact that his magic stat hasn’t been released yet. I’m not expecting much from this aspect of his spell, though it could be a nice bonus later in rounds.

2 Likes

Do you dream of changes and improvements? I do.
Among the things I dream about, here are some …
New Dungeons, new daily teams, perhaps with greater difficulty (or who knows the possibility of choosing the difficulty as in Explore?) And who knows, better rewards?
One or two new BOSSES at Raid Boss. I have nothing against Zuul’Goth, I like him very much, I even built mine some time ago. But if the Raid had three Bosses (alternating between battles) I would be less bored by having to fight so many Sigils consecutively. Also, having two new Bosses to produce in the forge would take me more to get the necessary resources, probably attracting me more to the game.
New TOWERS in the Invasion. How about 4 new towers? The variety of teams to face would be better and more attractive.
Honestly, this would attract me a lot in Update 5.0, but as we still don’t know anything about how it will be, I can go on dreaming.

New songs!
I was talking recently with the members of three guilds of Brazilians I know and they all play with the game sound off. The complaints are that the songs are few and repetitive. I started recording some videos with suggestions and I was asked to mute the game in the videos.
I, in particular, have been playing without the sound of the game for years. I open the player and put some selection of my taste, leaving only the sound effects of the battles.
Would it be too much to ask that each kingdom have its own music and with a battle rhythm? There are many games with epic, unforgettable sounds.
I have no hope of that happening.
But as I said at the beginning of the post, I’m just someone who doesn’t deny himself the right to dream.

3 Likes

Difficulty selection in Dungeons are highly unlikely occur. Dungeons are a mid-game bridge to assist players in earning diamonds to craft things (usually Mythics) in the Soulforge. The devs are very controlling of the diamond drop values there and have said that there are no plans to make any adjustments to them. New teams in the Dungeons? I’m skeptical on this, with the big question being “Why?”. For most players whose accounts are advanced to the point where Dungeons are trivial, they are a quick three matches and done per day in 2-3 mins at most. I strongly doubt that the devs will invest time in a game mode that meant to be cleared that quickly.

Possibly? Once upon a time on an ancient dev Q&A, Sirrian did kick around the idea of alternate bosses/towers to living things up. In the game’s current context, this might be used to get around the issue where every kingdom has or will soon have both godslayers and siegebreakers by renaming these traits to work against new bosses and towers (aka only works against “Season 2 Boss/Towers”).

/deep sigh

This one hurts.

Yeah, it is. This falls into the same category as avatar cosmetics. In a nutshell, the game is over five years old now and the only approved investments in the game are those their either work to increase player retention or monetize the game. Songs don’t fall into either of these categories. They are expenses with no realistic opportunities to recover their development costs (no amateur tunes, it’s been asked a ton on streams by players trying to find a workaround to this constraint).

There weren’t any new songs added with the second map released, so I strongly doubt there will be any when the third map releases either.

On a side note, the rarest song in the game is the one associated with unlocking new kingdoms and factions. It’s a decent ~2 minute tune that for anyone who has unlocked all the Krystaran kingdoms only plays exactly once a month when the month’s new faction is officially unlocked. And even then, it’s super easy to accidentally click/tap by that screen and cancel playing of the song. I try to make an effort to listen to that tune whenever it comes up monthly just to hear something different momentarily.

Have they even confirmed a 3rd map yet? I’d almost rather not see one, more complicated clutter.

I’m looking through the game’s audio files now, and one thing I’m noting are that there are several sound tracks suffixed _santa.wav, including an orchestral rendition of Carol of the Bells. Is this used during the holiday season? (I normally turn game music off to watch Netflix etc while playing, so I never end up hearing these honestly great tracks).

Depends if you call Sirrian’s “thinking out loud”, “chewing the fat”, or similar quip on a dev Q&A a confirmation or not. Granted, it’s been a looooong time since that Q&A that was the first tease of anything 5.0 related, so it’s possible that plans have changed since then.

On the other hand, for a company that’s tends to be very careful on what exactly what information about the game is released publicly, it would be very strange for there not to be some validity regarding those seemingly way-too-specific “random” comments Sirrian likes to make out of context on those streams.

It replaces the world map music maybe +/- 48 hours around Christmas Day each year. Or perhaps maybe during the event week that contains Christmas Day only. Either way, the tune comes and goes way too fast every year.

1 Like

If there is an overworld map with mini-kingdoms tied to base kingdoms, I hope it ties into the existing renown system rather than adding a distinct reward structure. Maxing every planned delve gives fairly lackluster stat bonuses.

I was under the impression that the 5.0 update would slightly modify the button at the bottom center of the hud and add a third world map entirely, but I don’t have confirmation on that.

Looking at upcoming Mech P4-NTH4 that comes out on Mon Feb 24th and it says there is a 10% chance to kill the enemy boosted by their Armor. The ratio is listed as 0.2. Well, with the base 10% chance, the enemy only needs 450 Armor for there to be a 100% lethal chance.

You only need about 350 to reach about an 80% chance to kill, which is good enough most of the time.

This troop could be very useful for delves!

4 Likes