Some rows in guild chat are disappearing randomly

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened?

In the last 2 days several rows on our guild chat (Guild: “Gems Italia”) have disappeared randomly.
For example, some replies are still there, but the questions are not there anymore.

It already happened a few more times in the past, but lately everything seemed to work well. Until yesterday :slight_smile:

Another minor problem I saw in chat, is that sometimes writing a chat row and pressing enter, nothing is showed.
The row appears only a few minutes after. Usually, in the meantime, the user write the same line again, so in the end there are 2 similar rows.

What are the steps to make it happen again?

Answering to this question is a problem. I don’t know. It simply happens sometimes.

Our guild members are from different countries and time zones. May be this is the reason? Some chat rows expire because their timestamps come from the writer’s computer timer, instead of using the server time? No idea :slight_smile:

Do you have any screenshots or video you want to share with us so we can see the problem? Attach them to your post!

I will attach a partial screenshot of our guild chat, but the disappeared rows are part of a mixed conversation in Italian language, so probably no one here will understand a word. :slight_smile:

After his first line, Ummagumma85 asked me to explain what is new in the new version. That is the first disappeared line of text
Then I replied with 3 lines of text. There is only 1 left now (the first one I wrote).
Then he replied with 2 lines of text. The second one to say “grazie” (thank you), and even this disappeared.
My last reply doesn’t make any sense now, since it ends with “prego” (“you’re welcome”). :slight_smile:

Anyway, anyone else had this problem, or it’s only occurring in our guild chat?

1 Like

Yes I have the same problem.

same happens here

I have had it, too.

Seen this several times, reported by multiple people in my guild. Not too much recently, but we’ve all but stopped using Guild Chat in favor of Discord.

1 Like

I have also noticed this happening this week. It mostly seems to happen that if someone types multiple rows at the same time that the later ones disappear after a while. Maybe because they were too quick after each other?

Today a guild member had 6 rows of text within a span of like 2 minutes to which I responded with 2 rows, now after closing the game and starting again after 1 hour, he only has 2 rows and I have 1.

This issue makes it a little hard to follow guild chat conversations that happened earlier. :frowning:

Same problem. Suggesting to guild that we start using Discord as well. This is obnoxious.

It happened for me several times, but in the other order. (This is on iOS).

There would be a question in chat. I would reply. I would log out and back in, and see that there had been a whole discussion (and answers) that happened between the last line I had seen (and replied to), and my reply.

I’m not certain that logging out and back in is what caused the missing lines to reappears; I just know that it happened several hours later.

@Nimhain The lines have started to disappear in my guild chat as well more so starting 2 or so days ago. Why? Are you working on a fix for this? How can this happen? Typed multi lines before and this rarely happened now, just happens all the time @ Blazing Dragons. :frowning:

Has happened a lot today ‘Friday’

Today a lot of lines disappeared. It 'so difficult to have a conversation with this problem.
Also messages put into the chat to tell people something when they join disappeared.

We are aware that players are seeing this issue. Sirrian commented on this here:

For what it’s worth, it’s not only monday (event-swap server-overload). It’s not discriminating - last night it ate 10min-worth of discussion, and it deletes multiple-people lines at a time, not just from a single person.

Also it might be just my impression, but it feels like it got this bad since the last update (whatever was changed to the chat - now it’s triggering the “loading-circle-of-doom” for some reason when leaving chat - was likely the reason behind this?).

I suggest to use alternative programs to communicate. We have GoW server on Discord, and every guild can create their own server there also. No communication problems at all, its more comfortable and looks better. Voice communication is possible also.

1 Like

Except there are players that play exclusively on phone and don’t have much access to pc during the week so we relay on chat to work in order to communicate with our guild.

1 Like

I dont see a problem? We also have players who are playing on phones only and they are communicating through Discord with guild.

The fix for the chat server is clearly the same as the universal fix for all technical or mechanical problems: percussive maintenance.

1 Like

Discord works on phone too? :open_mouth:
Damn haven’t tried it. But now that you mention, why wouldn’t it work :smiley:

Tbqh, any modern communications platform that neglects the phone is basically dead in the water.

I’m only guessing here, but this could be a lock issue. Server-Client communication could be temporarily locked while it is processing a chat request. So on a busy day it might be too slow to catch new incoming line that is typed too quickly. A possible solution is a queue to store the unprocessed packages.

Anyway, this is the only chat related problem I can think off without knowing how your chat program is written. Good luck

EDIT:
Lock issue could either be on server receiving end or client sending end, or both. Might be another point to investigate.