Some feedback from a longtime player

Level 1521 player here. I posted a wishlist a couple years ago but none of that has been implemented or even touched on yet, so I’m reposting plus adding to it:

• More Arena Options - Arena weekends are a joke and the payout versus time spent playing this mode makes it absolutely worthless. Removing heroes from Arena after Dawnbringer broke it was a great move and I actually enjoy playing this mode much more since then; it’s a fun way to force yourself to make use of troops you wouldn’t normally use and the trophy payout isn’t too bad. However, with the traits being turned off, it makes some troops much weaker or even completely useless (especially if their mechanic involves stun). Perhaps for a higher entry fee, there could be a mode with traits turned on, either for all 6 matches or have them unlock gradually over the course of the run. Or maybe also a Rare-to-Legendary mode, like the Faction teams. It would be fun and a greater risk-for-reward payout for veteran players.
  • More Treasure Hunt Options - I think most players would agree that while Treasure Hunt is a fun little side game, the rewards aren’t worth the time spent playing it past the double-digit levels. Also, late-game players are sitting on tens of thousands of treasure maps with practically nothing else to do with them. It would be nice to be able to spend more maps in exchange for greater rewards, or perhaps have a mode that removes bronze coins or adds bombs or whatever. Make it interesting! Or even add another minigame altogether so we have something else to do with all these maps.
  • Respec traits and ingots - I don’t care how expensive (within reason) they make it, but please give us a way to remove trait stones from troops and ingots from weapons. I’m so sick of Essence of Evil turning enemies into a Giant Frog half the time or summoned stealthy Bandits making an also-stealthy Thief Hero targetable.
  • Troop and Class buffs - Too many troops and most of the hero classes are either absolutely worthless or despite having a good spell and/or traits are too weak in battle to be worth using. One in particular is the Horde Mimic: for how rare it is, it’s excessively ridiculous that it doesn’t have a Golden Armor trait and a better gold bonus. I could go on for a while about this, but you get the idea.
  • Good riddance to Guild Wars - Has anyone else’s mental health improved slightly over the past few months that we haven’t had Guild Wars? Is that just me? If it comes back, I hope it’s drastically different. Although with the new PVP setup, I really don’t see the point.
  • Gem color bonuses on pause screen - Since the pause screen got a revamp, it now only shows the banner being used but not the total gem color bonuses from hero and troop traits like it used to.
  • Stairs in the Dungeon - No, I don’t want to go back up the stairs. Please stop asking me instead of giving me a reward or blessing.
  • Sentinel troops excessively rare - Underspire has been out for how long now and I still haven’t found one, let alone all six. At this rate, it will take two or three years to collect them all.

There are some other minor things I’d like to change as well, but this is a big enough wall of text as is. Are there any other additions or changes to the game you guys can think of that would make the game more fun?

22 Likes

I just want to go ahead and co-sign most of the above.

Arena has rewards that are terrible for the time invested. I’d love to see more modes. I don’t agree with you about removing the hero being better, but I love the idea of more modes for higher buy-in.

Treasure Hunt is also a very fun mode with TERRIBLE rewards for the time invested. Please just make the rewards better but otherwise please leave it alone.

Regarding the respeccing of traits and ingots - I agree that this should be an option, but also, why can’t we get those two cards to just have better traits?

• Stop making the bandit un-targetable - that’s not a plus
  • Change that trait on Essence of Evil - it’s not helpful and a trait should be a benefit

Troop and Class buffs are utterly useless with the exception of a few. This DOES need a whole re-haul.

Guild Wars - I personally don’t like it but I’m not glad it’s been gone because I know some people love it. I’m happy to be in a Guild Wars optional guild, though.

Gem color bonuses on the pause screen - I don’t understand why this isn’t back yet. People have been asking for it since the instant it went away.

Stairs in the dungeon - please just make this a side option NOT tied to one of the doors. I had to make an alt for reasons and it was the MOST annoying part of the dungeon runs. It kept offering me the ability to descend to harder battles before I could even reliably handle Level 1, but once I started winning it refused to let me get anywhere. I’m currently stuck on Level 3 and my character is now level 1087 - because that’s all the opportunities I could get.

Just let us self-select with a separate option - make it so that it only opens up every 10 days if you need to gate-keep it for some reason. But the current system is obnoxious.

Sentinel troops are way too rare. I’ve got ONE and I’ve been spending the gems to max it out for quite some time now.

12 Likes

I am actually making the dungeons easier so I can do them faster.

3 Likes

Wanted to give my two cents on Hoard Mimic. I’d rework the traits and the spell could stay as is. First Trait would be Golden Hoard, same ability as third trait is now. Second Trait would be Impervious or Invulnerable (depending on how tough a nut we want Hoard Mimic to be) and third trait would be a brand new trait inspired by Stonehammer’s Unbreakable and Guardian of Law’s Beyond Reproach (80% reduction to Skull and Spell Damage, respectively) but there would be a catch.

This Third Trait, which we will call Ultimate Shield (a reference to homunculus Greed’s nigh invincibility from Fullmetal Alchemist), would grant scaling Skull and Spell Reduction based on current gold held. The ability would cap at 80% reduction at 400 gold (only attainable with 3 Cedrics) at a 1:5 boost ratio (every 100 gold grants 20% reduction). This re-balancing gives a weak early match troop with the potential to become an incredibly potent point/front troop should you commit to a gold gain comp. The proposed troop rework also would still be susceptible to a number of counters, such as Enraged, good looping, gold stealing, strong early game, indigestible/fortitude, etc. I think this type of rework/buff would give Hoard Mimic a very desirable status for such a rare troop while also still having very obvious weaknesses.

Just some food for thought from a person who has game design experience.

4 Likes

Since Hoard Mimic is made out of gold, it could be something like Cedric but way better but people that don’t have it would get more angry if becames a good troop

2 Likes

I think you are just robbing yourself of perfect dragonite reward. Highest lvl dungeon gives you 120 dragonite, but it is less I believe in lower dungeons.

4 Likes

This is a great list. I agree with everything.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, but it takes a lot longer at level 20 than at level 1. Not to mention that the traps are a huge pain in the butt when dealing with level 210-230 enemies.

I’m with Roots on this one. At level 1, the whole dungeon can be easily completed in 45 seconds, maybe a minute at most, depending on the traps. At level 20, it’s so annoying that I wouldn’t even want to do it at all if a trap is found. Besides, there are other ways to earn dragonite nowadays so I’m not worried about trying to maximize dragonite gains.

The medals system could use any sort of life support. something new, Aranaea buff etc.

5 Likes

How did you get that much Dragonite? I blow at least two to three hours daily on this game and I’m still only working on getting the last of the six basic cosmic dragons.

1 Like

That’s actually another minor peeve I have: I wish medals were tied to teams rather than just a global setting. Some new medals would be a plus as well.

2 Likes

I usually get 1000 vault keys in vault events and some dragonite too, after Stella, I don’t use it.

A couple reactions from another long-time GoW player:

When I first accessed this Forum six years ago I vividly remember reading a Post which asked “When will Treasure Hunt be updated?” Perhaps hope truly springs eternal on this but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

While some of us do not enjoy Guild Wars I’m aware that many long-term dedicated high VIP members play GoW almost solely for this event. It would not be a wise decision to end GW. Not to be a doomsayer, but such would only accelerate the ultimate demise of this game.

1 Like

What aspect of Treasure Hunt would you most like to see monetized?

6 Likes

Challenge accepted.

• Treasure Hunt now has a turn limit as well as a timer, it automatically ends after 3 minutes. You get the option to buy a Hunt Extension on reaching the time limit, extending your time by 1 minute. Multiple purchases possible.

• 4+ matches no longer grant extra turns, you instead get 10 seconds added to the timer.

• Treasure Hunt has been split up, into Challenge Treasure Hunt and Epic Treasure Hunt.
    – Challenge Treasure Hunts require a Treasure Map to enter. Treasures at the end of a run no longer grant any resources, players instead collect points for a global ranking list. The top 3 players each week gain valuable resources, among others Common Traitstones, Common Ingots and Gold Keys.
    – Epic Treasure Hunts require a new Epic Treasure Map to enter. Treasures at the end of a run grant resources similar to the old Treasure Hunt.

• Chests and vaults no longer auto-loot at the end, they need to be opened to gain the rewards.
    – Green/red chest require a new green/red key to open. F2P players can earn a random chest key (95% green, 5% red) each day by playing 3 full Arena runs.
    – Vaults require a vault key to open.
    – Vaults can be matched to form an Epic Vault, requiring an epic vault key to open.

• Reward have been rebalanced to better promote the game mode.
    – Gem rewards have been replaced with Treasure Maps. Epic Vaults have a chance to drop an Epic Treasure Map instead.
    – Epic Vaults have a small chance to contain a Mini Epic Vault, which have a small chance to contain a Micro Epic Vault, which have a small chance to contain a Nano Epic Vault, which have a small chance to contain the new Epic Treasure Hunt exclusive mythic troop “Carrot on a Stick”.

• Players can purchase a weekly Extra Hunt pass. This grants 1 Epic Treasure Map each day and doubles the time limit and score for Challenge Treasure Hunt.

• Epic Treasure Maps can be purchased from the cash shop (bundled with Treasure Maps) or with gold marks (limited to 1 each week).

7 Likes

Aha, very good! :rofl:

Unfortunately, I think 7.5 will be too soon for this but, as we know, they do listen to feedback so perhaps it’ll be ready before 8.0?

1 Like

Fixed this for you :wink::joy:

1 Like

Value of $49.99 - at least.

3 Likes

Very funny, but be careful what you come up with:

You also forgot to include an option to buy more turns if those run out before the timer, which won’t work on launch and gets added in a later update. It actually ends up launching broken and doesn’t give the turns players pay for, and has to be fixed by another patch. Then it actually works and grants players an additional 5 turns for $9.99. But all those turns are lost if the timer runs out, obviously.