Silver Lining

In as non-gripey a way as possible, it only took me about a week to figure out there’s no hope of a full mythic collection unless you’re very not-casual. Which is typical: GoW is a gacha game with a lot of fans desperate to try and explain why it isn’t.

Soulforge takes something like 7-20 weeks depending on if you spend money and/or diamonds and in what amounts. How often do we get a new mythic? Monthly, on average. So when we account for “the mythic I need may not be in Soulforge for months at a time”, it’s very clear by the time you get “the one mythic I need” from Soulforge you’ll probably see 2 new mythics come out.

Gem/VIP keys do not avoid duplicates, so they represent a diminishing chance of those special mythics you are missing as time passes. I’m getting the feeling a lot of endgamers just don’t open gem chests anymore. That’s probably part of why raids/invasions look like massive gem sinks: we don’t realize just how many gems people have.

So Event Keys are the best bet but also have a time attached to them: there are 32 kingdoms and it needs to be 1 specific kingdom. If we assume kingdoms don’t repeat, you have to wait a maximum of 32 weeks to get your one special mythic. By that time, up to 8 new mythics will have been added.

That leaves the weekly for-pay cards. Maybe you get lucky and the one you want appears next week. But since it’s only 2 cards/week and a mythic isn’t a guaranteed bet, it might be a loooooong time before this shows up.

So all said and done, if you’re shopping for a specific mythic, there is absolutely no way to guarantee you get a specific one that takes less time than it takes for new mythics to be released.

I mean that objectively, it sort of makes sense. I think if I had a full collection I would feel constantly pressured to keep spending ridiculous amounts of time trying to KEEP it a full collection. The current system is frustrating, because I want Infernus and I want it NOW, but it’s also satisfying in that I can focus on “mythics with utility” instead of a full collection.

You understand @Fleg is the opposite of “very not-casual” on the X1. He’s easily in the top 5 players (based on Hero Level) on that platform and and the #1 Hero level by a fair margin on the opt-in GoWDB.com.

With that play level: He’s giving up hope of full Mythic, full collection.

1 Like

And i see nothing wrong with that.
The sentiment of having to have all troops on mythic level at once without the need of throwing money at the game always seemed very arbitrary to me, regardless of how much you play the game.

Eventually you will get all the troops and they all will end up mythic someday, just not on release day, and that is fine.

5 Likes

This is just a restatement of the Monty Hell problem:

Let’s say I give you two dollar bills each morning for the rest of eternity, but I take one dollar bill from you each evening. In the long run, I will take back every single dollar bill I ever give you.

Infinities are weird, and shouldn’t be planned on for anything reasonable.

I’d take that deal, a dolllar a day for free seems nice as long as you are not plagued by the weird sentiment of having to own all the Dollars at once some point…

2 Likes

Sooo…how’s it going for that Bounty preview ahead of the game mode release? :grin:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it will come at the usual preview time, which should be about 5.5 hours from now. Salty gave an exact time in Monday’s stream, but the timezones that she mentioned were unfamiliar to me, so I didn’t attempt to translate.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, “completionism is impossible” is a fine stance for devs to take. One of my favorite games explicitly took this stance and the devs went to great lengths to make sure even people with alts could not 100% the game.

Depends on the game. Here, I hope that isn’t the case, because the joy I find from Gems of War is using new troops in creative ways to find fun teams, not to have an impossible carrot dangled in front of my face that I can never obtain.

I find no joy in how I obtain it, only that I do obtain them. (So whether I get them from a chest, the soul forge, or 1500 hoops doesn’t improve the gameplay experience for me).

I just don’t see the point of creating a new troop if its dead content that doesn’t have a logical progression system to obtain.

(I’m being very lenient in my use of logical: Xathenos and Dawnbringer are just fine as is length-wise to obtain)

Now if they want to make custom limited edition armors or avatar sprites and lock those away, then sure, let that be the completionism is impossible thing. At least then it shouldn’t effect the core gameplay experience.

Guys, this week’s event will be over in a few hours. Make sure you buy some extra 12 Arcane Plain traitstones from the 400 glory pack, so you can save time exploring to trait some important troop next week.

Good luck with your hourly tribute! ^^

2 Likes